MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headstart Question rda_14 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 06-08-2012 03:56 PM
Tuition Fees and Possible Tuition Reduction due to Headstart/LEAP MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-10-2010 09:07 PM

Engineering- Headstart

Old 06-09-2012 at 12:18 PM   #1
Dee04

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering- Headstart
Hi, my brother is a prospective Engineering student and we have a few questions.
He is registered for the Headstart program and we were wondering what the course set up is for 1c03. (i.e. assignments, midterms, exams)
He is going to be fairly busy after class hours during the final week that the course is running and he needs to know if he will be able to do well on a culminating assignment/exam or if he should drop the course.
Thank you for your help!
Old 06-09-2012 at 02:28 PM   #2
cliffoa

I took 1C03 in Headstart last summer and we had weekly marked labs and tutorial, one midterm, the final assignment and exam. I was able to work part-time and still do well in the course, your brother should be fine!
Old 06-09-2012 at 03:26 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

CO3 comprises of lectures labs and tutorials. Lectures to learn, tutorials to learn 3d drawing and labs to learn how to use 3d software. The course varies on how good you are at 3d visualization. If you are not so strong in this area I would headstart 1P03 instead
Old 06-09-2012 at 09:59 PM   #4
Dee04

Thank you for your help!
Was the final assignment a group or individual task?
Also, do you remember if it was very time consuming?
Old 06-09-2012 at 10:12 PM   #5
cliffoa

The final assignment was a group project (usually groups of three). The work was not overly time consuming because it was split between three people.
Old 06-09-2012 at 10:13 PM   #6
cliffoa

and i would definately take 1c03 in headstart over 1p03, 1p03 was a great average booster
Old 06-09-2012 at 10:14 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I wouldn't worry about it too much.. the course is fairly easy. Doubt there will be much studying involved.. I didn't study all that much (did it during the year) since I kept up well with the course material. Final project's time-consumingness will depend on what sort of group you get... I remember having to do quite a bit during the end, but that was because of poor planning on my group's part. For our year we had to model an object we were given using a caliper using software. Did a lot of work the week it was due, but you should be fine for a summer course
Old 06-09-2012 at 10:33 PM   #8
Dee04

Ok great!
With regards to the Headstart program specifically, they say that no grade will be assigned, does that mean that it is a simple pass/fail course?
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:11 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Yes, simply because your marks in first year (not in first year summer) go towards your acceptance for 2nd year eng. Because you have 1 course less, your average requirement to get into competitive programs will be like barely 1% more
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:52 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Yes, simply because your marks in first year (not in first year summer) go towards your acceptance for 2nd year eng. Because you have 1 course less, your average requirement to get into competitive programs will be like barely 1% more
I agree with this, and if your brother is thinking about getting into a competitive program like civil or mechanical or biomedical then he will have to work a bit harder in first year.
If he has the free choice then he doesn't have to worry about any competition (unless he's thinking about management or biomedical).