MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Question Regarding Bunk and Loft Swampis Residence & Housing 1 09-01-2011 03:34 PM
A materials question and a chem question. (course stuff) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 03-05-2011 12:20 AM
Tuition Fees and Possible Tuition Reduction due to Headstart/LEAP MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-10-2010 09:07 PM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Headstart Question

Old 05-18-2012 at 08:59 PM   #1
rda_14

Liked: 1 Time

Headstart Question
I'll be going to Mac next year for engineering and I was wondering a few things about the Headstart program, hopefully someone here can help me out.

I read that the tuition fees for one headstart session is $850, does this mean that this will be discounted from my full-year tuition? If not then does that mean I'm paying full tuition therefore I'm still paying for one of the courses offered in Headstart even though I've already taken it during the summer? In essence will I be paying for the same course twice?

Not sure if I came across clearly lol
Old 05-18-2012 at 09:01 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda_14 View Post
I'll be going to Mac next year for engineering and I was wondering a few things about the Headstart program, hopefully someone here can help me out.

I read that the tuition fees for one headstart session is $850, does this mean that this will be discounted from my full-year tuition? If not then does that mean I'm paying full tuition therefore I'm still paying for one of the courses offered in Headstart even though I've already taken it during the summer? In essence will I be paying for the same course twice?

Tuition is based on how many units you are registered in, not a blanket fee for the year. So, there's no "discount" but you also won't be paying for the course twice since you will only pay for the units that you are registered in.

rda_14 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 05-18-2012 at 09:04 PM   #3
rda_14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Tuition is based on how many units you are registered in, not a blanket fee for the year. So, there's no "discount" but you also won't be paying for the course twice since you will only pay for the units that you are registered in.
Thanks for clearing this up for me, I was a bit sceptical about signing up for the program or not in fear that the fee for the course would still be included in my yearly tuition.
Old 05-18-2012 at 09:40 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...4.html?t=60204

Prob abit late but if you still can take one of the summer courses (1P03 or 1co3 ) in summer
Old 05-18-2012 at 09:47 PM   #5
rda_14

Another question. Strictly money-wise, is it logical to take one of those courses in the summer? If tuition is based on how many units you are registered in, then whats the cost per unit (if anyone knows)? I know it may end up helping lower my course load, but if it costs more to take it over the summer than it does during the regular school year then I probably won't be signing up for the headstart program.
Old 05-18-2012 at 09:49 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Another question. Strictly money-wise, is it logical to take one of those courses in the summer? If tuition is based on how many units you are registered in, then whats the cost per unit (if anyone knows)? I know it may end up helping lower my course load, but if it costs more to take it over the summer than it does during the regular school year then I probably won't be signing up for the headstart program.
Tuition fees can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/SAC_fees.htm

Cost isn't the only thing to consider though. I would rather pay a little bit more, and know that I'd be at an advantage for the courses I'm taking during the summer AND the courses I'm taking during the year because of a reduced course load, than save $50 and do worse in all my courses.
Old 05-18-2012 at 09:51 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Tuition fees can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/SAC_fees.htm

Cost isn't the only thing to consider though. I would rather pay a little bit more, and know that I'd be at an advantage for the courses I'm taking during the summer AND the courses I'm taking during the year because of a reduced course load, than save $50 and do worse in all my courses.
Edit: that link only shows tuition and does not include supplementary fees.
Old 05-18-2012 at 10:16 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Also, if you take less courses, the acceptance to second year is slightly higher. This includes dropped/cancelled courses or just none taken in the first place.
Old 05-18-2012 at 10:35 PM   #9
rda_14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Also, if you take less courses, the acceptance to second year is slightly higher. This includes dropped/cancelled courses or just none taken in the first place.
What do you mean by acceptance is slightly higher? Don't really understand, unless you meant its slightly easier.
Old 05-18-2012 at 10:38 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
What do you mean by acceptance is slightly higher? Don't really understand, unless you meant its slightly easier.
The cutoffs are slightly higher. Engineering (unlike other faculties) takes into account the number of units you took in first year when deciding admissions for second year programs. If you take 3 less units, you'll need a slightly higher average than someone who took all 37 or whatever it is you guys are supposed to take.
Old 05-18-2012 at 11:44 PM   #11
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Here at McMaster it's competitive to get into some second year engineering programs...I was gonna do the headstart program but after hearing about how competitive it is to get into some second year eng programs I decided not to take it and just do a full course load in first year.
I am sure you have heard about the free choice at mac....a free choice is granted to students with a high average in garde 12 (I think it's like 90% or higher).
You might find this link useful:
http://future.mcmaster.ca/programs/engineering/

The competitive programs are: Civil, Mechanical,Biomedical & Management...it changes each year but usually those are the highest ones.
7 years ago civil was one of the lowest to get into, but all of a sudden it jumped up ! 4 years ago electrical was hard to get into but that changed recently and it's admission dropped to like 4shh.
Even though the competitiveness changes from year to year I don't think civil and mechanical will go down to a 4.
If your offer of admission included "free choice", I would say sign up for the headstart program, but if you didn't get the free choice, I would say stick with the usually full course load and work hard

Hopefully that cleared up any confusions you had!

rda_14 says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 05-20-2012 at 08:22 PM   #12
rda_14

I actually didn't know about this free choice thing, mind explaining it a bit more? I probably didn't get it cause I don't remember reading anything about it in my acceptance package, but I'd still like to know about it
Old 05-20-2012 at 09:12 PM   #13
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
I actually didn't know about this free choice thing, mind explaining it a bit more? I probably didn't get it cause I don't remember reading anything about it in my acceptance package, but I'd still like to know about it
A free choice is awarded to high school students who got a high average in their top 6 marks in grade 12.

The whole idea behind the free choice is to encourage grade 12 students to work hard in high school. Since McMaster does things a bit different than other universities, it has to set certain regulations and policies. Therefore, since it's competitive to get into some second year engineering programs, McMaster decided to give a "free choice" to students who got a high average in grade 12. Getting a free choice doesn't not mean slacking off in first year engineering, since if you fail just one course, you lose the free choice. There are no penalties for dropping courses, I know some people who dropped a course or two because they were afraid of failing it (which is wise to do, since you can take that course or 2 during the summer, learn it properly, and secure your free choice!).

McMaster is a good school, but it should change it's rules so that first year engineering students can pick and study the program of their choice. I know a lot of people who didn't get into their first choice and its heart breaking..yea sure some people actually end up liking that program, but others aren't happy with it. After all we are paying for our education, why not let us study what we like?

Jasonn, rda_14 all say thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 05-20-2012 at 09:52 PM   #14
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:

If ur taking 1P03 or 1C03, all you do is not add it on SOLAR when registering for courses in June. That way you only pay for it once in Headstart.
Old 05-20-2012 at 10:00 PM   #15
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

just to add, you dont get a grade for 1P03/ 1c03 in Headstart, its only a pass or fail. I would suggest taking it in summer school next year.

Also, to get through 1st year you need to take a min of 31 units.

rda_14 says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.