Engineering Leather Jacket Cost?

Old 09-30-2009 at 08:30 AM   #16
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Message from the Drain Coordinator I just received in my inbox:

This is a message from your friendly neighborhood Drain Coordinator,
letting you know that the first Leather Jacket sale this year is taking
place next week on October 1 in the JHE lobby from 10:00 to 4:00.
Jackets will be available for sizing, and forms will be there so you
can personalize your leathers. Make sure to bring $100 deposit, or pay
in full if you prefer. Prices range generally from $300 up. We'll see
you there, and keep your stick on the ice.

-Bryan Crans
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:20 AM   #17
uhedag

Liked: 3 Times

I'm selling an engineering jacket at a substantially reduced (and negotiable) price. It's only a year old, and shows no signs of wear. You'd just have to get the "ELEC ENG" or the "11" modified as necessary. PM if interested.
Old 09-30-2009 at 02:26 PM   #18
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
They're ready for pickup in mid-december as I recall.

I *think* I payed by cheque... they don't have any machines there, so they MAY take a credit card, but I think that would be it, besides cash.

Hey! I don't think they make you look like a douche! They're warm, and lots of engineering schools have an engineering leather jacket-type tradition. (Queens students think they're rich enough that they can bash theirs on the ground and throw paint on it though Our reponse? Jackets are expensive!Jackets are expensive!Jackets are expensive! haha)
Thank god they are extending the time that they are selling the jackets, 'cause I have class tomorrow from 830 till 130, so I shall be able to not skip a class ^^

Also, I'm in second year, Eng Phys. So no evil curse shall be brought upon me ^^
(Also the jacket is a reason to keep studying as hard as you can, at least for me it will be ^^)
Old 09-30-2009 at 03:49 PM   #19
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Can someone please explain the mentality behind these jackets? I know a lot of people think they make Engineers seem arrogant and douchey, as was pointed out above. Due to that I've always wondered what an Engineer's reasoning was for buying such an expensive jacket? I don't actually know any students in Engineering which is why I'm asking here.
Old 09-30-2009 at 04:09 PM   #20
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

I dont kno but I think im gonna wait one more year..It just feels a little to pre-mature especially since we've only completed one month of our actual eng streams...i think im gonna wait until i finish at least 50% of my degree..so in other words, until third year

+ i can use that 300 bucks for a ps3 lol..

Old 09-30-2009 at 05:44 PM   #21
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

I don't see having a bit of pride in your faculty as being arrogant and douchey, but obviously the opinion of Engineers on campus is tarnished by a few bad eggs.

The jackets are a high quality, warm, custom tailored leather jacket. I bought mine in second year and wore it until I graduated this year... most of my other jackets didn't last that long. If you look at it that way, $300 isn't that bad an investment.

DannyV, sew12 all say thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 09-30-2009 at 07:29 PM   #22
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol, I remember there was some guy in engineering walking around all first year with one that said "Electrical Engineering". Now he's in Software Engineering. Epic fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhedag View Post
I'm selling an engineering jacket at a substantially reduced (and negotiable) price. It's only a year old, and shows no signs of wear. You'd just have to get the "ELEC ENG" or the "11" modified as necessary. PM if interested.
2 + 2 = ?

The numbers don't add up though. If the jacket's only a year old, why would it say '11?
Old 09-30-2009 at 07:48 PM   #23
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
2 + 2 = ?

The numbers don't add up though. If the jacket's only a year old, why would it say '11?
He probably bought it last year (during his second year), since first year engineers don't even know what stream they're going to be in yet anyway, so they wouldn't buy one until second year.
Old 09-30-2009 at 07:55 PM   #24
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Can someone please explain the mentality behind these jackets? I know a lot of people think they make Engineers seem arrogant and douchey, as was pointed out above. Due to that I've always wondered what an Engineer's reasoning was for buying such an expensive jacket? I don't actually know any students in Engineering which is why I'm asking here.
I guess it's mostly pride. And, good leather jackets are expensive.

Although I would rather prefer to spend that 300 on a different leather jacket that you could wear for many more occasions.
Old 10-23-2009 at 06:52 PM   #25
ericvan1

Liked: 1 Time

I think its time to update the style options for jackets, they've been putting out the same look for like 25 years. We should get a new company in to breathe some life into jacket sales. I would like to get one, but $325 is a lot for something that looks like it came off the rack at the Salvation Army...
Old 10-23-2009 at 07:44 PM   #26
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

^ I agree. They should update the look of the jacket then I'd consider buying one for 3rd year.

EDIT: Just google'd to see what other engineering students have as designs and came across this article from University of Waterloo...http://iwarrior.uwaterloo.ca /archi...3_jackets.html

"Queen's jackets are likely the most recognizable. This school takes tremendous pride in their jackets. Each jacket is extensively customized. First, each year has a contest to design a year specific crest that goes on all the jackets. Next, students may be awarded special bars to put onto their jacket for participating in certain events. Finally, as many people know, Queens engineering students thoroughly enjoy making their jackets look as un-new as possible. Not only do they dye their gold jackets purple, but they request cars to drive over them to loosen the leather."

LOL wtf...

Last edited by Colin : 10-23-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2009 at 08:00 PM   #27
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yes that is just what you want to do, buy a $400 jacket and then dye it or run over it with a car.
Old 10-23-2009 at 08:08 PM   #28
micadjems
Awesome Member

I dunno, I really like that it's tied to history and that we've had these jackets for so long - I've seen some people on campus with jackets from the 90s that look the same... very cool! (Just like how my grandpa knows the engineering cheer from back in his day - and he wasnt even an engineer!)

There's always engineering hoodies, windbreakers, and other wear that is sold from the drain that you can get.

(And if you don't like the colour, I think you can request a different one from the order guy... though you might look a little out of place! haha )
Old 10-23-2009 at 08:09 PM   #29
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
I guess it's mostly pride. And, good leather jackets are expensive.

Although I would rather prefer to spend that 300 on a different leather jacket that you could wear for many more occasions.
They are good leather jackets - it's my spring, fall and winter jacket/coat, depending on if I have the liner in. And I wear mine everywhere.... including formals! No reason you can't wear it after school either!!