MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering: Material Sciences 1M03 OSid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 04-17-2011 10:20 PM
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM
Will I get into Life Sciences? sanahsameen Academics 31 02-24-2009 09:42 AM

Engineering or Life Sciences?

Old 05-24-2011 at 07:44 PM   #16
cyndaquil

Liked: 1 Time

First of all, I would like to give a huge thank-you to everyone who provied their opinions on the two programs! Each of you gave me something different to consider and helped me to find new insight. To be honest, I'm a little bit scared about going into engineering because my sister finished first year and probably will be dropping to Honours Chemistry... she said it was really hard! I don't anticipate Physics or Math to be a problem, since I've done well in Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, and Physics (94, 93 and 87 respectively). I do know that it will be a challenge, but I think I'm prepared to try it! And I know that it's definitely possible to switch down to science (if courses are taken during the summer, it's what my sister is doing).

I will definitely look at the Chemical and Bioengineering Program, the Biomedical and Electrical Engineering Program (in particular) and will consider all of the rest! Who knows, maybe my interests will change in the next year after being in Engineering. Well, anyways I'll see you guys at McMaster in Fall 2011! Looking forward to meeting all of you (and my fellow engineers)!!!

Last edited by cyndaquil : 05-24-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Typo.

RyanC likes this.
Old 05-24-2011 at 07:52 PM   #17
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Regardless to whichever program you accept, welcome to McMaster

cyndaquil says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

cyndaquil likes this.
Old 05-24-2011 at 08:12 PM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Engineering may have more job prospects, but that's assuming you will graduate with reputable marks.
Not true at all. Yes, there are jobs, but marks mean little to nothing for most companies. All that matters is that you own the interview and answer every question correctly.

riks17 likes this.
Old 05-24-2011 at 08:28 PM   #19
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

If you're strictly looking at (good) job prospects, its a no brainer, engineering.
Old 05-24-2011 at 08:30 PM   #20
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Engineering may have more job prospects, but that's assuming you will graduate with reputable marks.

Engineering is definitely one of the hardest faculties in the university, and if you are not interested in it, you will not have the motivation to succeed.
nvm 12 chars
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:09 PM   #21
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Not true at all. Yes, there are jobs, but marks mean little to nothing for most companies. All that matters is that you own the interview and answer every question correctly.
Well i meant specifically for graduate school. I'm unsure of the marks required for certain universities, but i doubt skidding by with a D- is helpful to your cause.
Old 05-24-2011 at 10:12 PM   #22
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

If you want lots of money, getting an engineering degree can open more doors in business level than a Life Sci degree. A lot of entrepreneurs and investors were once engineers.
Old 05-24-2011 at 11:45 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Well i meant specifically for graduate school. I'm unsure of the marks required for certain universities, but i doubt skidding by with a D- is helpful to your cause.
I know some professional school in the states which only accept Cs and up for required courses. Although graduate school is probably different, I haven't done any research on them so I don't even know if there are any required courses one must take.
Old 05-25-2011 at 12:14 AM  
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.