MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Careers in Health Care e-norman Volunteering Opportunities 4 09-15-2010 06:33 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
Engineering Physics DeeNos Academics 1 10-16-2008 06:29 AM
New Careers System May 28th Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-26-2007 10:23 AM

Engineering Physics careers?!

Old 07-01-2010 at 01:05 AM   #1
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

Engineering Physics careers?!
Hi guys,
I've been thinking of going into the Engineering Physics program (Nuclear stream) for quite a long time now since i thought it could get me a dream job working in a nuclear reactor. However, ive heard stories from friends of mine that it's not exactly worth it because the employment prospects for someone in Engineering Physics is fairly low. One friend of mine couldnt find a job for 2 years with this degree and decided to go back to university to get a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. This has really put me off and would like to get some kinda general opinion about the program. Is it worth it? and how different is the scenario for someone with a proper bachelors degree in Nuclear Engineering?
Thanks guys,
have a great one
Old 07-01-2010 at 04:46 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Reactors, Medical Isotope study, work in particle colliders, general energy technology study, teaching, materials processing, cosmology, etc

Thats all I can think of at the moment, I'm going back to bed. Brain no worky.
Old 07-01-2010 at 06:39 AM   #3
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

If Homer Simpson can do it, so can you! =)

brutal1, jntyrhds, MacPack like this.
Old 07-01-2010 at 07:50 AM   #4
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

at the eng phys showcase for first years, they gave out a booklet with job opportunities. You can probably pick it up at the eng phys office in JHE. There is atleast 12 pages of different companies that need eng phys engineers

jntyrhds says thanks to Eximious for this post.
Old 07-01-2010 at 08:26 AM   #5
erinn

Liked: 2 Times

Engineering Physics is a broad stream of study. That being said, there are still plenty of job opportunities. The Nuclear Stream does not only focus on Nuclear but on other Energy Systems as well, such as Wind, Solar, etc. As we all know, the world is quickly running out of fossil fuels, so nuclear and other types of energy are the technologies for the future. So pretty much you will have a job. Creep the EngPhys website to find the lists of careers...I know there is one out there.

jntyrhds likes this.
Old 07-01-2010 at 08:27 AM   #6
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

I'm in Health and Medical Physics, and from what I understand there are quite a few jobs for Health Physicists in Nuclear Reactors (they are in charge of radiation safety). I think it depends on what role in particular you want to have in the Nuclear Reactor. There are all sorts of different responsibilities.

Check out the careers office, and talk to them about it.

Also, if you are interested specifically in Nuclear Reactors in Ontario, go to the Ontario Power Generation (OPG) website and make an account in their careers area, check out what is available.

jntyrhds says thanks to rlevitin for this post.
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:47 AM   #7
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

I heard the Enterprise is in need of a Chief Engineering Officer - Geordi retired, apparently.
Old 07-01-2010 at 10:30 AM   #8
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Nuuuuuuuuuuke

Eximious, jntyrhds like this.
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:45 PM   #9
jntyrhds

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinn View Post
Engineering Physics is a broad stream of study. That being said, there are still plenty of job opportunities. The Nuclear Stream does not only focus on Nuclear but on other Energy Systems as well, such as Wind, Solar, etc. As we all know, the world is quickly running out of fossil fuels, so nuclear and other types of energy are the technologies for the future. So pretty much you will have a job. Creep the EngPhys website to find the lists of careers...I know there is one out there.

Thanks for the info. How do you like the program so far? Is it really hard?
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:58 PM   #10
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Compared to the ufot one, mac is eng physics is wee wee.

Old 07-01-2010 at 10:42 PM   #11
jntyrhds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Compared to the ufot one, mac is eng physics is wee wee.
Really? Cuz i heard 2nd year is the toughest. A lot of hard maths courses.
Old 07-02-2010 at 12:47 PM   #12
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntyrhds View Post
Really? Cuz i heard 2nd year is the toughest. A lot of hard maths courses.
Not really, Math 2ZZ3 and Math 2Z03 wasn't hard, we just had a prof that did not know what he was doing.http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1217.html

Old 07-02-2010 at 12:54 PM   #13
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Eng Phys definitely isn't easy, but it's manageable. Third year was generally considered the hardest back when I took it - although things may have changed.

As far as jobs go with nuke, it really depends on the timing and politics. Three or four years ago, the big companies that hire in this field were tripping over themselves trying to hire up all the grads. Some of the guys I did undergrad with were getting offers of 55-65k / year since everyone was anticipating the 'new build' in Ontario. With a Master's in the field, you'd be looking at 70-80k / year.

However, since that plan has been "suspended", hiring has slowed down. The class I TA'ed this year seemed have a harder time finding jobs. From what I've been hearing, most ended up finding something although not all of them were directly nuke related.

I suspect though that when the federal government decides on what it wants to do with AECL (sell part or all of it), then hiring in Canada will pick up again. If you're willing to move to another country, there are no shortages of jobs.

The short of it is: the nuke program at Mac is hands down one the best in Canada. The nuke profs we have all used to be managers and department heads while in industry and really know their stuff.

If you want to know more, feel free to send me a message.

jntyrhds likes this.
Old 07-02-2010 at 06:27 PM   #14
jntyrhds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleung View Post
Eng Phys definitely isn't easy, but it's manageable. Third year was generally considered the hardest back when I took it - although things may have changed.

As far as jobs go with nuke, it really depends on the timing and politics. Three or four years ago, the big companies that hire in this field were tripping over themselves trying to hire up all the grads. Some of the guys I did undergrad with were getting offers of 55-65k / year since everyone was anticipating the 'new build' in Ontario. With a Master's in the field, you'd be looking at 70-80k / year.

However, since that plan has been "suspended", hiring has slowed down. The class I TA'ed this year seemed have a harder time finding jobs. From what I've been hearing, most ended up finding something although not all of them were directly nuke related.

I suspect though that when the federal government decides on what it wants to do with AECL (sell part or all of it), then hiring in Canada will pick up again. If you're willing to move to another country, there are no shortages of jobs.

The short of it is: the nuke program at Mac is hands down one the best in Canada. The nuke profs we have all used to be managers and department heads while in industry and really know their stuff.

If you want to know more, feel free to send me a message.

Thanks for the information. It's a pity that nuclear energy is seen as such a contentious issue all over and from what ive heard, the nuclear industry in Canada is seeing a bit of a downfall and is only going to get worse in the coming years. People's opinions are now split in half about nuclear energy and government doesnt seem to really take a proactive role. It's suspended plans for building a reactor, green groups against nuclear power are fostering more support, Canada's international trade for reactor designs have fallen, and talks of AECL being sold to private companies are all red herrings for future nuclear engineers and scientists here.