MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing Professors Jason036 Academics 9 08-08-2010 02:16 PM
French Professors ?? help ! :) blurt. Academics 2 06-30-2010 12:53 PM
Advice on Professors dchan28 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 06-28-2009 08:20 PM
Professors... Nino First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-12-2008 12:01 AM
Different Professors **jewel 03** Academics 3 06-14-2008 10:50 PM

Engineering Professors

Old 08-06-2013 at 08:17 PM   #1
Nucleus

Liked: 6 Times

Engineering Professors
August 8 is coming soon and I'd like to know the best professors for each course for first year Engineering so I an adjust my timetable accordingly. I know this varies from person to person, but what's your opinion?

Math 1ZA3: I've heard McLean is the best for this course and I haven't much about Ifrim.

Math 1ZB3: Same as above.

Math 1ZC3: Apparently Lozinski is the only one who teaches this?

Physics 1D03: I've heard Okon is the best. How is he compared to Preston and McKay?

Physics 1E03: Same as above.

Chemistry 1E03: I have no idea about this course. Who's better, Dumont or Hitchcock?

Materials 1M03: I've heard Zurob is the best for this course but how is he compared to Hoyt?

Engineering 1P03: Is Fleisig the only one who teaches this?

Engineering 1C03: Who teaches this?

Opinions and advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013 at 08:21 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Math: Pick Maclean. Childs for 1ZB3. Ben Mares isn't a bad choice either. For 1ZC3 all my profs were bad except Maclean

Physics: Please go to Okon. His examples and lecturing are good

Chem: I believe Dumont was the french speaking guy. No clue about the other. Dumont just lectured from the slides.

Materials: Yes Zurob is the best the others in my year don't do it anymore

1P03: Yes Fleisig only and he's good.

1C03: Only Doyle unless it changed up. I hated his boring and uninformative lectures. He wasn't helpful even when I personally went to him for help.

There is also Programming. I had Smith in my year. Some people liked him I didn't. The other teacher may be Farmer and I heard good things about him.

Nucleus likes this.
Old 08-06-2013 at 08:28 PM   #3
Nucleus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Math: Pick Maclean. Childs for 1ZB3. Ben Mares isn't a bad choice either. For 1ZC3 all my profs were bad except Maclean
No Childs or Ben Mares according to the master timetable, only Mclean and Ifrim. C03 and C04 are blank though.
Old 08-06-2013 at 08:35 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Strange. Childs usually teaches 1zb3. If it's blank then that just means new teachers are going to be assigned or that 1 teacher is going to teach all 4 cores. Just a note. You don't technically have to go to the core you are registered in (except physics or any class with iclickers) as long as it fits your timetable or unless the class is legitly too packed from students going to a specific core.
Old 08-06-2013 at 08:47 PM   #5
Nucleus

But wouldn't you have to go to your registered core for tests and exams?
Old 08-06-2013 at 09:32 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
But wouldn't you have to go to your registered core for tests and exams?
Tests are usually on a Friday evening where you will be placed in different rooms "alphabetically"...so if you want u can go to any section for the lectures
Same thing for the final exam..ohh and i said friday evening cuz if i remember correctly that's when it used to be for us, it could be any day, but the point here is that it doesn't matter what section you attend 4 the lectures.
Old 08-06-2013 at 09:41 PM   #7
Nucleus

Don't different professors have different tests and final exams? I've heard that you can go to different cores only if they're taught by the same professor who teaches the class you've registered in.. Is this true?
Old 08-06-2013 at 09:51 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Don't different professors have different tests and final exams? I've heard that you can go to different cores only if they're taught by the same professor who teaches the class you've registered in.. Is this true?
Nope, all first year engineering students get the same tests/exams..the only differences is in the arrangement of the questions..that's why there are different versions for the midterms. Like i might have version "A" where my first question is your 3rd because you have version "C".

You can go to any core, doesn't matter if it's taught by a diff prof. There's no attendance in university, so you can go to any core you want..although some profs use iclickers like physics and programming.
Old 08-06-2013 at 09:58 PM   #9
Nucleus

So what's the point of timetables? I don't understand why everyone rushes onto Solar if you can go to any cores you want lol.
Old 08-06-2013 at 10:03 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Well, they do so because of conflicts...maybe going to that good prof will not let me go into my chem class because they are at the same time :/
Old 08-07-2013 at 12:02 AM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

1) Conflicts. Galore this year cause they keep changing the timetable and it is different from when people registered
2) Get into elective classes they want if they already didn't do so.
3) Get the labs/tutorial spots you want. You'll be randomnly assigned one and you can try to get one that fits your timetable better or your preference (example, no tutorial for programming at 830am)
Old 08-07-2013 at 01:12 AM   #12
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
So what's the point of timetables? I don't understand why everyone rushes onto Solar if you can go to any cores you want lol.
Labs and usually tutorials aren't like cores; you have to go to the ones you're assigned to. Some cores have iClickers that you can't participate in if you're in the wrong core. You might not even get into the electives you want. Sometimes there are conflicts. Etc. It just makes things run more smoothly.

Oh, and it's just a dick move if you go to a core that's not your own and it fills up so someone who actually and legitimately belongs in there doesn't get a seat.
Old 08-07-2013 at 08:56 AM   #13
lobstersongs

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
There is also Programming. I had Smith in my year. Some people liked him I didn't. The other teacher may be Farmer and I heard good things about him.
Go with Farmer 100%. I had Smith in my year and he was truly useless. He goes on long rants in his lectures and makes the material super dull (As someone in Computer I really enjoy programming).

On top of brutal lectures he tries to trick students in exams. The best example of this is that he put a true/false in a test that was a direct quote from the textbook. The "correct" answer on the test was false. When I brought him the page in the textbook he simply said to me "the textbook is wrong". Sure maybe that's true but in that case maybe that just shouldn't be a question on a test.

Am I bitter? Yes. Should you still try your hardest to get Farmer instead? Yes.
Old 08-07-2013 at 09:10 AM   #14
lightsms

Liked: 1 Time

For math, Harper is really not a bad option. He explains things clearly and, to be honest, you don't really want an energetic math prof.