MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any upper year biochemistry students who can tell me what the program is like? lovekblue Academics 14 06-06-2013 04:24 AM
AUTO CAD for upper year engineering ?? Kevinabrahak Academics 8 06-22-2012 06:55 AM
Easy Summer Orientation Program: Upper-Year Volunteers Needed!! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-08-2009 12:26 PM

What engineering program fits me? Anybody who is in upper year eng, can you help?

Old 09-15-2014 at 10:42 AM   #16
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

There will be fairs and info sessions later in the year (second term) in which you can speak to professors and students of the programs you are interested in. You may want to wait until those events so that you will have had experiences with more courses and more fields of study. Talk to the Eng Phys and Matls departments about their nano programs and see which one focuses more on your interests.

Matls 1M03 will give you a better understanding of the types of stuff that are studied in Materials Eng. (However, Matls 1M03 is deceptive in that it does not address the intense level of thermodynamics and kinetics that are covered in the program. It just gives you a feel for the topics that can be studied in the stream.)

You can take courses from other engineering streams if:
a) you take them in addition to the ones that fulfill your degree requirements (you cannot skip out on required courses)
b) you receive permission from the course instructor
c) you receive permission from your department
d) they fit into your timetable - some courses are offered only every other year
Old 09-15-2014 at 10:49 AM   #17
ralts40
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

I mean, if I am in the wrong program, that would be a waste of a year..
Old 09-15-2014 at 10:59 AM   #18
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

Some would argue otherwise.

Point is, wait until something beyond the third week of classes to figure out your plan for next year. Clearly you have questions about your options, so let yourself experience and learn about what you will truly enjoy before committing to something. You don't rank your streams until April anyway, so why don't you give yourself time to formulate educated opinions by taking more courses and talking to more people?
Old 09-15-2014 at 03:06 PM   #19
ralts40
Account Locked

Hey, ya thanks for the input...
Old 09-15-2014 at 06:16 PM   #20
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40 View Post
Oh, now all of a sudden, I am the one being attacked on, huh? I just want a oaking answer piatch..
Well, I never said it is a worthless field(Believe me, when I say something is worthless, it actually becomes worthless in reality, so I choose my words carefully), I said, "It is a field not for me", because I donot want to study ideas that came up from an imperfect beings like us, but rather study Chem Eng or something, where we study atoms and chemicals(PURE RAW NATURE), that were the creation of a perfect being..
What do you expect? After having said that 5 times, nobody responds, so how on earth am I not supposed to cap it so that, wiggly eyes like yours will at least get the question seen and answer?(Not in an offensive way, and trust me, I am greatful that you answered, I even thanked you!)
What you said is incredibly stupid and naive. Do you think chemistry will have the same level of advancement if computers didn't exist? (see: computational chemistry, NMR and DNA Sequencing). Do you seriously think science, in general, are not ideas by flawed imperfect beings, but instead there is a flawless, perfect being who dictates what science is to us?

If you think the world is fine without technological advancement, why are you studying to be an Engineer anyways?

PS: Engineering I are not that restrictive, if you want you can always transfer to Math/Physics without taking any extra courses, and Chemistry if you take Chem 1AA3 second term/summer.
Old 09-15-2014 at 07:37 PM   #21
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Hey all, just a friendly reminder to keep things civil.
Old 09-15-2014 at 07:59 PM   #22
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

If you don't want to study anything that has to do with 'flawed beings' I have no idea what you'd want to study. All science involves theories made purely by humans.
Old 09-15-2014 at 10:09 PM   #23
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Maybe you'd be more interested in this program then
http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...id=7&poid=4253

ralts40 likes this.
Old 09-16-2014 at 09:19 AM   #24
ralts40
Account Locked

Lol.., I meant that we are at least studying nature in chem/mech/civil or any descipline other than soft/elec/comp eng.. Lol.. Get into my level of reasoning. What do you study in Soft? Freaking algorithms? Freaking Circuits in elec? Why not study balance and harmony in civil, flow of energy in mech and chem and so on? I mean we study natural world in the other fields compared to pure human developed crap being studied by humans. At least in others we are studying god's creation, not softwares or something abstract that has nothing to do with nature.

And I chose to do engineering cuz of the research potential and stuff, I am not here studying with shitty goals like earning lots of money in the future or some crap. I would still attend university if I won a 500 million dollar lottery, that is how much I love science, math and to study...
Old 09-16-2014 at 10:07 AM   #25
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Lol.., I meant that we are at least studying nature in chem/mech/civil or any descipline other than soft/elec/comp eng.. Lol.. Get into my level of reasoning. What do you study in Soft? Freaking algorithms? Freaking Circuits in elec? Why not study balance and harmony in civil, flow of energy in mech and chem and so on? I mean we study natural world in the other fields compared to pure human developed crap being studied by humans. At least in others we are studying god's creation, not softwares or something abstract that has nothing to do with nature.

And I chose to do engineering cuz of the research potential and stuff, I am not here studying with shitty goals like earning lots of money in the future or some crap. I would still attend university if I won a 500 million dollar lottery, that is how much I love science, math and to study...
Well then you're in the wrong program. Engineering is taking all those concepts and natural facts and creating new tools, devices, processes, machines,etc. it's using the knowledge of basic principles to design and create useful things. To be able to problem-solve and imagine new things.

If you just want to learn and understand concepts then you don't need university. The whole point of an engineering degree is to build those problem solving skills and learn to apply them. Nobody in their right mind is going to hire and pay you just because you understand concepts. Good for you, I understand them too, so does everyone else in every engineering or science or math program in the world. Now what can you do with that knowledge.
Old 09-16-2014 at 10:14 AM   #26
ralts40
Account Locked

Lol, look who's talking? RSK wu wu wup man? Is that all your goal of studying is? TO get"hired" by another human or a company and earn money and die? Damn man, you need better visions.. I can live in a cell and do math and science the whole day, without a cent in my ocket, and thats why I study biatch, and I know what I am saying..
Old 09-16-2014 at 10:40 AM   #27
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The reason one goes into engineering is not because they like and want to study math and science - though liking/wanting to study those fields is certainly a prerequisite to being successful. One goes into engineering to be an engineer. There are a few exceptions - I have a friend who went into engineering with the intention of applying to law school after (but she went into engineering so that she could be an engineer if law school didn't work out) - but by and large that is the reason for going into engineering. It is a professional degree. If you want to study math and science with no qualms about having a job afterwards, you go into math and science.

You asked a question - which engineering program is best for you - and then you gave a list of things you are looking for in a program. However, you seem unwilling to accept the possibility that NONE of the engineering streams offered at Mac fit your description of what you are looking for. You also either don't seem to understand that engineering is man-made, or you aren't able to adequately communicate what it is you are looking for.

People have given you their input and advice, and you can either take it or leave it. Presumably you saw some value in asking the MI community, so there's no need to insult people just because they gave you an answer that you hadn't considered.

If you want to know the exact courses required in each stream, consult the course calendar. Seeing what courses interest you may give you an idea of which stream to pursue. If you have any specific questions (that don't revolve around whether or not you're studying something man-made) then by all means ask, but as to your original question, I really don't think you're going to find what you're looking for here.

Last edited by starfish : 09-16-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo

mythbuster06 likes this.
Old 09-16-2014 at 11:04 AM   #28
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

You will not find anything at the undergrad level that satisfies you. You clearly have more of an interest in science.

For example:
Chemistry (somewhat): The study of atoms and interactions between them
Chemical Engineering (a subset): The design of large manufacturing processes to create abundant amounts of said chemical.

You talk about study of the flow of energy. Welcome to electrical engineering and electromagnetics.

You say that civil should study balance and harmony ... what exactly do you think statics and dynamics are?

You say you are interested in Nanotechnology and yet one of the largest subsets of this technology is to align macro-molecules in such a way that the alignment is perfect ... something you will NOT see i nature. Its taking natural substances and transforming them into man made supermaterials.

Furthermore you need to choose a topic you really find interesting, THEN choose the field by looking at what the professors in that field are studying. Clearly you arent interested in the industry side of engineering... which is fine. But you should not limit yourself to chemical engineering because it has the word chemical in it.

One thing you may be interested is Bio-Mimicry. The concept of finding things in nature that are better than their man made counterparts and attempting to improve the man made object by copying some of the processes found in nature. One of the biggest fields of this is actually software engineering where they are trying to mimic some of the algorithms and design that the human brain uses to create a superior computer processor.

In summary dont think under-grad; think masters/phd study. Look at the profs current work and base your undergrad degree and course options around the future study of a very particular subject. The order i suggest you look in that would probably yeild the most "natural" stuff would be:
-Eng Phys (BioMimicry of photosynthesis in solar panel research maybe??, nanotech)
-Materials.
-Chem (Envio, Bio, Fluids)
-Elec (Electromagnetics, Bio, hard to say huge department)

ralts40 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 09-16-2014 at 11:37 AM   #29
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:

Research potential and stuff... MI community can you please stop feeding the troll? Its obvious he is on here to get people going, as will be apparent in his rebuttal to this post which im sure will happen. You have all given him excellent advice but he chooses to dance around in circles with his thumb securely lodged up his ass. Move on, and hope that this student moves on from McMaster to bigger and brighter opportunities under his troll bridge

Kudos likes this.
Old 09-16-2014 at 11:39 AM   #30
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
Hey all, just a friendly reminder to keep things civil.
Thats some nice moderating there...