MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software Engineering Club Confused Gaming 0 09-16-2011 11:32 AM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-11-2010 02:25 AM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger Academics 2 06-08-2010 03:38 PM
Software Engineering & Management TheAxtmann Academics 16 06-02-2010 08:20 AM
Software Engineering Courses... EngLufLuf Academics 1 02-21-2010 11:59 PM

Is Engineering Software Provided?

Old 08-07-2014 at 08:08 PM   #1
AlyK

Liked: 0 Times

Is Engineering Software Provided?
Hello, so Im planning on buying a windows computer (I currently have a mac) for compatibility and I was just wondering If i would have to buy all the software required for engineering (CAD or whatever) or if the university provides a student license? Because If I'm going to end up using all the software in the library/lab anyway I don't have a reason to buy a new laptop.

thank you!
Old 08-07-2014 at 08:11 PM   #2
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

You'll need to buy MATLAB, Maple and probably a whole bunch of other pieces of software. Some may have free versions you can use. Or, just do what every other student does-- pirate.

Labs do have most software available for you to use, but they don't tend to be open past 10pm and, sometimes, they'll be booked by other lab groups and students. Having it on your own machine is convenient, plain and simple.

Old 08-07-2014 at 08:26 PM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I don't recall having to use any specialized software in first year that required purchasing.

Even for CAD, I believe all work can be completed during your scheduled lab classes.
Old 08-07-2014 at 08:32 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

cad inventor was free you used a code. You had to pay for some like maplesim, maple, matlab. All the software is free in the computer lab if you choose not to use.

When I say pay, i mean "pay". Software ends up being passed along so your choice
Old 08-07-2014 at 08:57 PM   #5
AlyK

Right ok, thanks again
Old 08-08-2014 at 09:22 AM   #6
JumbotronDave

If you're switching from Mac to Windows solely because of the software compatibility, I can tell you I've had a Mac since going into first year eng and up until now I haven't had trouble with compatibility at all! The only thing I've had to use so far that doesn't have a Mac version is AutoCAD, which is available on all of the campus lab computers (that is what I ended up using when I wanted extra time, although as mentioned above you could usually finish your work in your own lab time). There is also the option of running Windows on your Mac machine if you wanted to. For everything else (MatLab & Maple are the ones I remember off the top of my head) you should be fine! Welcome to Mac & good luck
Old 08-08-2014 at 11:17 PM   #7
AlyK

thank you!