MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Csct 1bb3 Exam rosh4850 Academics 0 04-27-2010 09:57 PM
CSCT/English/Peace Studies 4IP3/Comp Lit 3MM3 lorend 4th Year Course Reviews 0 12-14-2009 01:46 PM
CSCT 1B03 vs. CSCT 1BB3 MarissaK First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-18-2009 06:12 AM

English 1bb3 / Csct 1bb3 - Cultural Studies And Consumer Culture

Published by Chad
06-17-2008
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 78%

This course is interesting, the material is relevant and touches on aspects of marketing (which I enjoy ).

Official Course Description:
Quote:
An overview of the development of cultural studies as an interdisciplinary field of academic inquiry through an exploration of the history of mass and consumer culture. Considerable emphasis will be placed on the development of critical skills in reading and writing.
I'm sure that description above doesn't help very much, so I'll try and give you a quick overview. Basically this course is about advertising, and how companies market products to consumers. It ISN'T a course on creating marketing campaigns, instead it is one that looks at ads (magazine ads, visual ads, etc) and breaks them down into the different parts that makes them successful. You learn about some theoretical aspects to consumer culture and why people buy the things they do (id, ego, alter ego, etc) and have to write a few papers on consumer culture (eg. why people buy big SUV's when they are clearly very expensive and not fuel efficient).

Overall a good course with interesting material, only downfall is that there is a few big essays that are worth a lot of marks and you need to be able to write a good paper with convincing arguments to get a high mark. Being an English course though, thats what you'd expect

Alvand, kathy.miko, scottm all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for English 1bb3 / Csct 1bb3 - Cultural Studies And Consumer Culture!

Old 06-17-2008 at 09:58 AM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times
Are there other courses that touch on some aspects of marketing like this one does?
Old 06-17-2008 at 10:09 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
I took this class in 2005 with Dr. Brophy.

I really enjoyed the class, and did fairly well. I think the course breakdown was the same as what Chad mentioned:
- two essays
- tutorial
- final exam

samantha_, a good course is english/csct 2j03 (popular culture).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2008 at 12:35 AM   #4
newsha

Liked: Liked 5 Times
is there a huge difference between csct visual vs. csct consumer!!?

Old 06-18-2008 at 06:27 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

although there is some overlap, yes there is a difference between the two.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2008 at 02:34 PM   #6
newsha

Liked: Liked 5 Times
did you have any preferences between the two?!
the course descriptions are really vague so i can't decide..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
although there is some overlap, yes there is a difference between the two.
Old 06-18-2008 at 04:22 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

1bb3.

then you can avoid the monstrous feminine.

Maegs likes this.
Old 06-18-2008 at 05:24 PM   #8
Sync

Liked: 2 Times
Who teaches this course and what's the professor's teaching style (reading from powerpoint or overheads, actually lectures, etc.)?
Old 06-18-2008 at 07:14 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

There is no prof listing at the moment, which means they have yet to be hired.

Old 06-21-2008 at 10:45 PM   #10
Sync

Liked: 2 Times
What's the workload like for this course? Are there a lot of assignments to do, heavy readings, etc.?

Did you think this course was hard? Do you think someone who isn't strong in English would do well or average in this course?
Old 06-22-2008 at 12:33 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Workload etc is explained in the review.

Old 06-24-2008 at 11:39 AM   #12
instantkarma

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sync View Post
What's the workload like for this course? Are there a lot of assignments to do, heavy readings, etc.?

Did you think this course was hard? Do you think someone who isn't strong in English would do well or average in this course?
The workload is average; two essays and a very small 5 minute presentation in tutorial, and then a final exam.

I do not believe someone who isn't in English or any other Humanities program would get a great mark in this course. I knew someone in Commerce who took it, and he failed the class.

The exam last year was MC, short essay (critique of an ad) and long essay.
Old 07-02-2008 at 10:12 AM   #13

Liked: 0 Times
which is better in your opinion cosumer or visual i cant seem to decide??
Old 11-27-2008 at 08:07 PM   #14
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time
I Love English and I need it as an elective.
I need to decide between
English 1A03, 1AA3, 1B03 & 1BB3....
Apparently I need a mark booster.
Currently I have chosen 1B03 on SOLAR for Term 2 since it was the only one that had a vacancy. I see that now 1AA3 and 1A03 have vacancies too...I am so confused.
I need somebody well versed with English to help me @ the speed of lightning :(
Old 11-28-2008 at 06:15 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

it depends on your interests within english.

1b03 and 1bb3 are about consumerism and visual culture. 1a03 i believe is shorter genres (plays, poems, short stories) while i think 1aa3 is longer genres (novels)

aj-maxx says thanks to lorend for this post.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search