MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 3EE3 African American Literature ley5 Academics 1 06-15-2011 02:24 AM
English - Jane Austen mcgaffme Academics 3 07-29-2010 09:52 PM
English 3H03: Jane Austen aani Academics 6 06-17-2010 08:44 AM

English 3H03 (Jane Austen) and English 3RR3 (African lit/film)

Old 03-03-2013 at 05:19 PM   #1
guptas46

Liked: 9 Times

English 3H03 (Jane Austen) and English 3RR3 (African lit/film)
Nobody's posted about these courses recently

My problem: I HAVE TO take an English course between may and the end of june 2013. These are the only courses offered at McMaster. I could do LOP at a different school, but that's not always easy lol.

I am a science student, I'm currently in English 1CS3, but other than that I haven't really taken/excelled in any humanities courses. Would it be foolish of me to take one of these third year English courses?

Does anybody have any info on them, how the workloads were, how hard they were marked?

Thank you!

-S
Old 04-01-2013 at 11:09 PM   #2
M123

Liked: 0 Times

Yes please, I need to know as well!!!
Old 04-02-2013 at 08:37 AM   #3
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Well...I do love Jane Austen's work. It's beautifully written, quite simple and easy to understand. Can't help you out in terms of the course, but, given the subject of the two, I'd choose the Austen course...unless you have a particular interest in African culture (the word "film" turns me off; I haven't really any interest in cinematography)...
Old 04-02-2013 at 10:14 AM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

This is tough for me. As an English student, I've read Austen's work before and quite frankly can't stand it. But I also don't have an interest in African literature. Isn't 1AA3 or 1A03 offered this summer? I know that a British lit class is offered, although that spans two semesters. But I'd personally take that one.
Old 04-02-2013 at 10:48 AM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Oh, wait: I see your problem. You have to take it first semester. Hmm... It depends on your interest. I personally don't like Austen because I find her writing dry and boring. I think it's overrated. Moreover, a lot of her writing covers society, so basically what society expects of people vs. what they want to do. You'll likely study the emotions, culture and gender perspectives, but mostly societal views.