MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
student/Mac ID Elivs.L First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-31-2010 09:45 AM
student id MacStudent1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-25-2010 10:20 AM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM

Enough Student Apathy

Old 07-02-2009 at 11:12 AM   #16
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

This thread a great idea. I would like to echo Matt in that you should all feel free to email me with any concerns you have, esp. if you are in Humanities. Seriously, ANYTHING, it is what we were elected for. If something is bothering you, its most likely bothering a lot of people, so bring to to our attention and we will do everything in our power to make it right.

My e-mail is [email protected]
Old 07-02-2009 at 11:50 AM   #17
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Honestly, if SOLAR was fixed to a) handle more people and b) have a waitlist for courses, 99% of the complaining about McMaster would be gone. Then all we would have left to complain about would be Quarters.
For those who hate the solar process, or any other issue here, there is something you can do to help your cause. Remember, SRA members are no less students than any one else but they've just volunteered to focus their time on certain causes. As for [stupid] solar, get involved in discussions about the topic. Last year's Health Sci SRA George Farjou was leading a policy project which focused on Mac registration systems. The goal was to update the policy and use it in discussions with the university. This project wasn't complete by the end of our term and I'm not sure of its status now but what you can do is contact the committee that holds these discussions and get involved.

As for the other issues like less monies towards the arts, then you can contact your faculty division reps to figure out how you would like to confront this or perhaps the univ affairs committee..

All students care about their education so I wouldn't say there's apathy. Likely more of a communication breakdown when it comes to actually addressing these things. This thread would be a great place to start these discussions =)

Last edited by temara.brown : 07-02-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: my alpaca is still smiling

huzaifa47 says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:58 PM   #18
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Oh I am in operations committee actually and this policy was never brought up in the year plan during our first and only meeting so far. I will talk about it with our commissioner Amanda Stevens during the next meeting and hopefully see where it goes, also I think it would be a good idea to post up our draft policies on Insiders and ask for student input(this is a step that should be taken by all committees imo) regarding SOLAR. Somehow it got lost in the transition report I suppose :S

Secondly regarding the concern of Arts students regarding lack of monies, I don't think contacting the SRA members would help. My caucus is full of rookies and one member is even going into second year! I don't think If I go in there and say: "hey! What's with them taking away all our monies :( " there would be anything the SRA members can really do apart from bring it up at the next meeting in a form of statement I suppose? The best they can do is probably make a resolution that the SRA has mad beef against lack of monies towards ARTS. Do I think it will pass? maybe not, since I have a feeling the Non-Arts will want nothing to do with this slightly absurd sounding statment. The issue has to be approached from the top-down, the president, house leader, VP Ed all should have some sort of statement and stance on it and then hopefully it seeps down to the SRA. The problem is that the Senate(which is a bit of a farce when its invisible and people get elected to it by acclamation) , the admin and the MSU are not on the same wavelength. Can someone please elaborate what the society presidents on senates do during those meetings? I think this vague co-relation between all three and eventually the students themselves suits the admin who then do what they want with imputiny. We criticize the MSU because they are visible and open, hardly anything is ever said against the admin!

Another pointer is that the SRA and Committees should both post up their documents and meeting plans on Insiders a week before their meeting if the issue in concern is something they feel could benefit by student opinion. Instead of 5-6 committee members looking over it it should be open to a potential audience of 6000(that's the Macinsiders membership right?)

I was actually going to do that for my Operations project(but was advised against by my reporting authority) and have actually done so both on facebook and Insiders for my FYC Survey. That way we will have a better idea of what exactly is it that you guys do and instead of complaining about something afterwards it is better if the SRA gets opinion on it before the descision is made! But probably the SRA blog if it is updated very regularly is a step in that direction.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-02-2009 at 10:51 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I disagree with you Huzaifa.

I think the Soc Sci and Humanities caucus can do something. Even if they can't lobby for us, they can at least ask why funding was cut. As a student of both faculties, I'd rather know why this happened rather than trying to fix something that has already been brought into practice.

And yes, MacInsiders membership is at approximately 6000, although I do not have up-to-date numbers...hopefully Chad can fill us in?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

finklej says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 11:16 PM   #20
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
There's alot more but as sincere as you are Matt and despite seeing your work regarding information gathering with Quarters I still think change is not a product of one or two determined people. It has to come from the top down in the way we treat students(not as a vote bank but as a valid source of rational information) and for them to know what's really going on and then offer constructive criticism. Sure there is alot negativity and just about everything the MSU does is criticized, but think deep down within yourselves why they do that: It is because they see the MSU as an inclusive society that is patronzing and far away from the consensus. We are sick of silly and ridiculous claims made by candidates(though I don't blame them at all) like they will reduce fees, reduce coursewares, build ramps(wth?), go green(since that's the latest fad), solve global warming, nuclear disarmament, save the starving kids and pandas and turtles while they are at it and all sorts of other stuff. You forgot umbrellas lol
None of it actually ends up happening because to succesfully create and complete a project change one has to do extensive research, work hard mostly on your own or within your standing committte, do internal lobbying and get something passed within an assembly. Who are they kidding when they go up and make outlandish claims to attempt to impress voters? No one's impressed hence no one votes. A turnout of 12% and even less for SRA shows that. Student opinion should be valid no matter where you get it from:

I give you guys credit(well some of you) for being much better this year but the need to know basis and the lack of details need to change, there have been incidents in the recent past(Quarters and the Speaker Fiasco) where there has been unclear, patronizing and often contradictory information from BOD and SRA members. I recently found out after emailing the president and VP Admin about an idea for creating a volunteer VP Communications position(just like UWO) after my incredible experience with the western person for a project query. I found out that the MSU has full time people working on PR, really? I don't really see them anywhere; its SRA members posting and replying seemingly on their own accord. I mean no one visits the MSU website, and they won't for some reason. So its your Job to go out and seek them, not the other way round. They will never come to you, apathy is only solved by stimulation and generating interest, the most important customer is the one who comes to your shop for the second time not the first; Make him re-visit! (Eg: Constructive discussion on Insiders where their opinion is respected).

Also there are two types of SRA members, one who genuinely care about what they are doing and actually make efforts to engage students and look for initatives to take. The second is the one who are in the SRA for personal gain and to brush up their Resume and job prospects(or those who ended up there by accident; you know what I mean!), I have realized that after contacting every single one of them for my FYC survey and comparing their response and overall willingness to help. The ones I thought were least likely to help did turn out to be the ones ignoring my mails or replying with stereotypical unhelpful stuff.

As Rohan pointed out in some other thread there needs to be pressure from the top(caucus leaders and BOD) to somehow "force" and pressure every single SRA member to earn their privilege not enjoy it with apathy, its only a minority that is apparently willing to change stuff around here. They should get out and personally engage students from the ground up, not post random stuff on twitter and facebook and hope for someone to notice and articulate something constructive for them
probably the best post on this website (prove me wrong). Apart from the ones I make, obviously.

huzaifa47 says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 11:18 PM   #21
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I disagree with you Huzaifa.

I think the Soc Sci and Humanities caucus can do something. Even if they can't lobby for us, they can at least ask why funding was cut. As a student of both faculties, I'd rather know why this happened rather than trying to fix something that has already been brought into practice.

And yes, MacInsiders membership is at approximately 6000, although I do not have up-to-date numbers...hopefully Chad can fill us in?
Really now?

Here goes, Hypothetically they can release a statement with word from the Secretive Society of McMaster Vice Presidents. But why haven't they done so already? The 09/10 budget(With blatant cuts to our funding) is available on that CUPE website since some while, your sessionals being laid off article was published more then a month ago. Do they even know or have reviewed the budget yet? I mean my caucus leader all credit to her did start of with a typical new SRA member zeal and published a couple of fbnotes with stuff about Quarters in May I think, but I don't recall updates regarding other subjects. The only word regarding this was about Gerontology and Government cuts, nothing directly about sessionals from Chris Martin I think on the website, but no details(Eg:break down of the budget and its implications).

The Arts SRA should have posted a lengthy commentary of the Budget already, I was just with Mr Martin and Mr Wooder today regarding my FYC survey and I recall hearing "the experience of the next batch of first year students would be very different because of administrative decisions that have been made" It probably was my fault that I assumed it would be awkward if I ask them to digress and explain that point, BUT the moot point here is that the caucuses should already have released information regarding "what" changes we might be facing. They should be harassing the Faculty office and Provost(:S) for information and statistics regarding layoffs and budget cuts and posting them up for our knowledge. Where is all that? That Is the true meaning of transparency and communication that everyone got elected on. I shouldn't be here asking for it, it should be up there weeks before today. Also if they cannot lobby for us they can at least re-assure that they are digging for information and letting the VP Ed and President know and asking them If they might have a stance or any internal lobbying action on that! If I'm not wrong the faculty presidents have seats on the senate, the SRA could contact her(I'm not sure what the summer workload for the Senate is, but it most probably doesn't meet till next term) and remind her to use her speaking time next meeting.

I might sound off here as one of those gungho MSU critics who just talk and don't do anything constructive, but that is clearly not my intention. I am also a position holding member of this organization who is working many hours a week in whatever minor roles I have to doing my honest best to improve student life. I would humbly ask my Arts SRA members to try finding out as danielle said information regarding all this, you guys can't change anything because it is a "slightly" unavoidable result of external factors, but I'm confused how our budget has gone down while other faculties haven't had the same experiences. Take it as constructive criticism

Information Information is the key, the Gerontology program managed to garner such large support because they were facing analogical "death" of their degree, while things aren't that bad "yet" we are slowly being suffocated to death comparatively (Our Resources aka Profs being layed off, our land mass aka class sizes reduced, important courses being not offered).

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-02-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2009 at 11:58 PM   #22
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Solar
Registration is a hassle at pretty much every university. Sadly, SOLAR is better than a lot of other systems I've encountered covering universities.
Old 07-03-2009 at 12:03 AM   #23
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
Registration is a hassle at pretty much every university. Sadly, SOLAR is better than a lot of other systems I've encountered covering universities.
Well but you do agree we could do with a waitlist system like uoft for starters instead of playing a game of blackjack trying to land the courses on random dates innit?

Even if we ignore about putting money into infrastructure for the overall IT system of SOLAR, because I guess the argument is that students do eventually end up taking the courseload they require don't they? Assuming we ignore all those students deterred from exploring their academic and intellectual curosities simply because they were unable to choose it or get on a waiting list and eventually gave up and chose some random elective that they have no interest in.

Old 07-03-2009 at 12:20 AM   #24
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

It REALLY, REALLY, sucks that the arts gets a cut. Like really, why? As part of humanities I feel like we're on the bottom of the totem pole and no one really cares about us. I'm part of the media program and I feel like that there is tonnes of potential in this field. It's still a relatively new program yes, but there should be funding in the arts to allow expansion of creativity and everything else. It would be wonderful if mac got a reputation for its media program.
Old 07-03-2009 at 12:36 AM   #25
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Faculty presidents do not have seats on the senate. They have observer status I believe but they are not voting Senators.

There is one student representative for each faculty, undergraduate and graduate.

I represent Humanities undergraduate students on the Senate. I have speaking rights and an equal voice on all issues. I'm open to any suggestions/comments/complaints.

There are attempts to organize a collective effort amongst Senators/Faculty Presidents/etc by the MSU called the Student Academic Council. Unfortunately these meetings are usually called at times that are convenient to the full time VPs of the MSU and not the full time students which make up the majority of the council. There's usually really poor turn out and therefore nothing gets done.

I'd like to see Chris Martin make a more organized effort to organize the academic student leaders this upcoming year. Without being organized and having a concrete agenda we're really just a waste of space.

lorend says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.

Chris.Martin likes this.
Old 07-03-2009 at 01:09 AM   #26
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

I can't speak for the direction that Vishal and Chris want to take SAC this year, however, an approach towards internal lobbying that has been kindled from last year's advocacy team will be fostered this year.

I've directed that SRA Faculty Caucus Leaders will be teamed up in lobbying units with the Student Senator and Faculty Society president that will sit with them on SAC. In this lobbying unit along with members of the University Affairs Committee and the VP-Education, researched policies and strategies will be developed to have a unified message coming from student leaders.

Much of this is in Chris' YearPlan, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. Nevertheless, I've promised Caucus Leaders that SAC will be integral this year and both Vishal and Chris intend to follow through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
Faculty presidents do not have seats on the senate. They have observer status I believe but they are not voting Senators.

There is one student representative for each faculty, undergraduate and graduate.

I represent Humanities undergraduate students on the Senate. I have speaking rights and an equal voice on all issues. I'm open to any suggestions/comments/complaints.

There are attempts to organize a collective effort amongst Senators/Faculty Presidents/etc by the MSU called the Student Academic Council. Unfortunately these meetings are usually called at times that are convenient to the full time VPs of the MSU and not the full time students which make up the majority of the council. There's usually really poor turn out and therefore nothing gets done.

I'd like to see Chris Martin make a more organized effort to organize the academic student leaders this upcoming year. Without being organized and having a concrete agenda we're really just a waste of space.
Old 07-03-2009 at 01:20 AM   #27
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
I've directed that SRA Faculty Caucus Leaders will be teamed up in lobbying units with the Student Senator and Faculty Society president that will sit with them on SAC. In this lobbying unit along with members of the University Affairs Committee and the VP-Education, researched policies and strategies will be developed to have a unified message coming from student leaders.

This sounds like a sensible and feasible idea, but neverthless and "idea" and a "direction". As Callen mentioned, the SAC given its nature(no one's actually in charge I guess and unlike the SRA you don't get kicked out for not showing up right?) needs alot of responsible commitment from everyone in it to succeed. The real question here is will people show up and do something constructive? Also my second question is by when can we expect official word from the MSU regarding the changes in the budget? There has been nothing so far, even if the official policy/"official message" does and I understand will take time to formulate we could do with some initial dispatches from the Caucus or the BOD. Anyways I really hope the whole mob does end up doing something in reality, we really can't stand back and not pressure or atleast use our right to voice our opinions towards the Administration! Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-03-2009 at 01:38 AM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Here goes, Hypothetically they can release a statement with word from the Secretive Society of McMaster Vice Presidents. But why haven't they done so already? The 09/10 budget(With blatant cuts to our funding) is available on that CUPE website since some while, your sessionals being laid off article was published more then a month ago. Do they even know or have reviewed the budget yet? I mean my caucus leader all credit to her did start of with a typical new SRA member zeal and published a couple of fbnotes with stuff about Quarters in May I think, but I don't recall updates regarding other subjects. The only word regarding this was about Gerontology and Government cuts, nothing directly about sessionals from Chris Martin I think on the website, but no details(Eg:break down of the budget and its implications).

The Arts SRA should have posted a lengthy commentary of the Budget already, I was just with Mr Martin and Mr Wooder today regarding my FYC survey and I recall hearing "the experience of the next batch of first year students would be very different because of administrative decisions that have been made" It probably was my fault that I assumed it would be awkward if I ask them to digress and explain that point, BUT the moot point here is that the caucuses should already have released information regarding "what" changes we might be facing. They should be harassing the Faculty office and Provost(:S) for information and statistics regarding layoffs and budget cuts and posting them up for our knowledge. Where is all that? That Is the true meaning of transparency and communication that everyone got elected on. I shouldn't be here asking for it, it should be up there weeks before today. Also if they cannot lobby for us they can at least re-assure that they are digging for information and letting the VP Ed and President know and asking them If they might have a stance or any internal lobbying action on that! If I'm not wrong the faculty presidents have seats on the senate, the SRA could contact her(I'm not sure what the summer workload for the Senate is, but it most probably doesn't meet till next term) and remind her to use her speaking time next meeting.

I might sound off here as one of those gungho MSU critics who just talk and don't do anything constructive, but that is clearly not my intention. I am also a position holding member of this organization who is working many hours a week in whatever minor roles I have to doing my honest best to improve student life. I would humbly ask my Arts SRA members to try finding out as danielle said information regarding all this, you guys can't change anything because it is a "slightly" unavoidable result of external factors, but I'm confused how our budget has gone down while other faculties haven't had the same experiences. Take it as constructive criticism

Information Information is the key, the Gerontology program managed to garner such large support because they were facing analogical "death" of their degree, while things aren't that bad "yet" we are slowly being suffocated to death comparatively (Our Resources aka Profs being layed off, our land mass aka class sizes reduced, important courses being not offered).
Yup, the administration should have publicized something already, but they won't. Remember like any large corporation the university is looking in their own best interest, and not necessarily that of those consuming the product they offer (i.e. us and our education).

I am a number and a consumer, and that's it according to the school. I think it's a shitty attitude for the school as a whole to have, and I'm not really sure what I as an individual can do. Without becoming a huge anarchist and trying to abolish all forms of government (which I don't believe would work anyway), I feel pretty stuck. And that's also how the university administration managed to win an MSU award for student leadership, but I digress.

Someone needs to goad them into publishing it, which is where the SRA come in.

I think most of the SRA has been fairly inactive since the beginning of their term because it is summer and the SRA members have different priorities, less a few members. I do not agree with this viewpoint at all, however. Lots of things happen over the summer months and there are still plenty of things each of the 34 (37? 32?) members can be doing now.

Just stating what I'm seeing and what I've seen every year thus far.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-03-2009 at 10:11 AM   #29
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Are the year plans of the BoD made public? Year plans are all well and good but they need to be held accountable to them.

Their year plan should be published on their page along with their blog/profile/etc so they can constantly be making updates in reference to how they are completing their goals for the year.
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:19 AM   #30
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If I recall correctly yes, their year plans are supposed to be public documents.