MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entrance Scholarship? MaryS Financial Aid 5 09-23-2010 11:53 PM
Entrance Scholarship not showing on PA? kwun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-23-2009 09:57 PM
Entrance Scholarship Question holagurrl Financial Aid 54 07-30-2009 12:37 AM
entrance scholarship pinkpony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-09-2008 02:50 PM
Entrance Scholarship jag6232 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 06-09-2008 11:13 PM

Entrance Scholarship?

Old 05-24-2009 at 10:14 PM   #1
KafiaJM

Liked: 0 Times

Entrance Scholarship?
So I was recently accepted into Business I with an average over 80%. According to the entrance scholarship grid, this means I'll get at least $750 automatically but my MUGSI says that there I get nothing.

So I'm wondering if;
a) My program doesn't give out money to people in my grade average range (hope that makes sense)

b)They tell us later if we get an entrance scholarship (which would be weird since all my friends who qualify now already)

or

c) I don't qualify for the $750 for some other reason.

Help?...Please

Last edited by KafiaJM : 05-24-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2009 at 10:26 PM   #2
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafiaJM View Post
So I was recently accepted into Business I with an average over 80%. According to the entrance scholarship grid, this means I'll get at least $750 automatically but my MUGSI says that there I get nothing.

So I'm wondering if;
a) My program doesn't give out money to people in my grade average range (hope that makes sense)
b)They tell us later if we get an entrance scholarship (which would be weird since all my friends who qualify now already)
c) I don't qualify for the $750 for some other reason.
A) Where exactly are you looking for the scholarship. The correct page should be on the scholarships and bursaries page in MUGSI.
B) Are you sure that your average was over 80%. If you had more than 6, only the top 6 qualifing courses count towards the average.
C) Read the terms and conditions: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/entrance.html
D) Give it time, administration can take time. If it persists, contact the financial aid and scholarships office
Old 05-24-2009 at 10:30 PM   #3
KafiaJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
A) Where exactly are you looking for the scholarship. The correct page should be on the scholarships and bursaries page in MUGSI.
B) Are you sure that your average was over 80%. If you had more than 6, only the top 6 qualifing courses count towards the average.
C) Read the terms and conditions: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/entrance.html
D) Give it time, administration can take time. If it persists, contact the financial aid and scholarships office
a) Thats exactly where I looked, I double checked just to be sure and it just says 'No Award information found'
b)My top six currently (inc pre-reqs) is 83%, and will hopefully go higher with my final marks
c)Thanks for the link, Ill start reading asap.
d) I'll try to be paitient. It's just that I am one of many broke soon-to-be-University students and every penny matters.
Old 05-24-2009 at 10:34 PM   #4
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
a) Thats exactly where I looked, I double checked just to be sure and it just says 'No Award information found'
b)My top six currently (inc pre-reqs) is 83%, and will hopefully go higher with my final marks
c)Thanks for the link, Ill start reading asap.
d) I'll try to be paitient. It's just that I am one of many broke soon-to-be-University students and every penny matters.
And to your point about caps in the bracket. There are none. Basically all those who qualify get the scholarship.

KafiaJM says thanks to webzn for this post.
Old 05-24-2009 at 10:38 PM   #5
KafiaJM

Okay, thanks. I was wondering if I was wrong for expecting it. But if there really isn't a limit or an exception for Commerce students then I guess I should just call them tommorow.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-25-2009 at 12:44 AM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Don't worry, you'll get it. Administration is just horribly slow.
Old 05-25-2009 at 08:46 AM   #7
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

...Aren't high school marks like a month away from being final?

You won't get credited with an entrance scholarship until the school receives your finalized grades.
Old 05-25-2009 at 02:36 PM   #8
KafiaJM

Really?

I was assuming that I'd know already, since everyone I know who qualified for an entrance scholarship got a letter/notification about it already.

Mac might be different though.
Old 05-25-2009 at 02:53 PM   #9
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Really?

I was assuming that I'd know already, since everyone I know who qualified for an entrance scholarship got a letter/notification about it already.

Mac might be different though.
Well, they need your final marks in order to base what entrance scholarship you get. While someone may be getting a 95% average halfway through the term, it would be a bit too early to declare them receiving a $3000 scholarship if their grades fall to 80% by the end.

Just an example.
Old 05-25-2009 at 06:58 PM   #10
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Yeah I don't think anything will be confirmed until marks are final, and seeing as your school year hasn't ended yet, I don't think it will be up for a while.

Also, from my experience, the "Scholarships and Bursaries" section is VERY slow in being updated. I know it at least shows up on your Payment Agreement, which is your agreement with the university as to how you plan to pay for your tuition. If you are eligible for an entrance scholarship, it will show up as such. This will be part of your registration process.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:20 AM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I remember when I first got into Mac all they said was "If your average is __% - __%, you'll get $____." in the course calendar...nowhere did I receive any personalized information in regards to how much I was getting, until like July, or even August.

You had to do your own homework to see which one you were potentially entitled to, and make sure your grades stay above that threshold...I worked really hard and even bumped myself up into a higher bracket after finding out about the scholarships (another reason why they've yet to be finalized...your grades may increase). I didn't have any sort of notation on MUGSI until August or so (but MUGSI was quite different back then too, I couldn't even access it until around July).

So in short, McMaster doesn't guarantee your scholarships yet, because whatever bracket your final grade falls into, you will be guaranteed that much funding...the rest is up to you, and you can base your decision accordingly. Seems like a logical course of action to me, and I'm surprised if other universities don't work that way.

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-26-2009 at 03:23 AM.