MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
envir sci 1a03 vs 1b03 nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-03-2009 03:05 PM
Envir 1A03 textbook jaucep Academics 1 01-03-2009 12:11 PM
Envir Sc 1a03 demelo_b Academics 0 11-09-2008 07:04 PM

Envir Sci 1a03

Envir Sci 1a03
Atmosphere & Hydrosphere
Published by shleyaa
04-28-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
30%30%30%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
40%40%40%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 53%
Envir Sci 1a03

What is the course about?
The movement and balances of water and energy.

Types of Questions:
Why do we have weather?
What is the evidence of climate change?
How do humans impact the atmosphere and hydrosphere?
What do they mean by 'isolated thundershowers'?

Mark Breakdown:

5 labs (35%)
4 online quizzes (2.5% each)
1 midterm test (15%)
1 final exam (40%

How are tests organized?

- short answer (including definitions)
- longer answer questions
- calculation questions
- multiple choice, fill in the blanks

How are lectures organized?
- lead slide with topics
- lectures are organized around a series of questions
- partial lectures posted on WebCT after/before lecture
- TO-DO list at the end

----------------------------------

Overall, I really did NOT like this course. The beginning of it was pretty easy and interesting, but as the semester went on, I found myself falling asleep in lecture and not understanding anything (I guess that was my fault, haha). I felt that the material was kind of dry... the only thing that really motivated me to go was the professor (John MacLachlan) who was good at explaining the concepts if you were listening. The test and exam weren't so difficult if you understood the general idea of things, and the labs weren't so bad either. The whole interest factor clearly had a negative impact on my opinion, but if you're into this kind of stuff, it will probably be a course you'll enjoy
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Envir Sci 1a03!

Old 05-06-2009 at 04:26 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
I recommend avoiding this course like the plague unless you are really interested in weather, pressure blah blah blah. This course was an elective and is so far my worst mark in university. Mostly, the material is boring and so it's kind of hard to be motivated but there were some people who were really into this course.
Old 05-11-2009 at 08:42 PM   #3
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times
Envi Sci 1A03
I think the course was pretty good. If you attend all the classes, and take notes, it is reasonable. The slides are up, and you simply have to fill it in.

The professor was awesome, he would give random hints in regards to the exam and the midterm. As mentioned before, there were 5 labs, a midterm, and an exam. He was pretty funny, and quite helpful as well, when you needed the questions answered and all.

Although, the context gets extremely boring after a while, you do have general knowledge in regards to weather.

Old 06-18-2009 at 01:52 PM   #4
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time
I know this review is for Enviro 1A03; however, I want to take Enviro 1B03 but there is no review for that course. So I was wondering if theres anyone that has taken the course and would be willing to write a short review regarding the course or briefly outline what the course is about and what I can expect for this coming summer semester. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2009 at 10:43 PM   #5
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times
How was the prof? (It says Bernier in the timetable)
Old 07-03-2009 at 12:14 PM   #6
sf

Liked: 36 Times
There is a different prof teaching it this year, he isn't as good as the one last year but is still pretty good and wouldn't be a reason to not take the course if it sounds interesting to you
Old 12-26-2009 at 08:10 PM   #7
blenicnl

Liked: 4 Times
how necessary is the textbook? I know for 1g03 I never needed it.
Old 12-27-2009 at 01:04 AM   #8
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times
I found the textbook was really useful in clarifying concepts from the lecture that I was unsure about. It's also pretty helpful for some of the labs (with like background information and whatnot). The meat of the course is from the lectures though, as far as I remember...but I didn't regret buying the textbook. If you want to save money, you could possibly split the cost of the textbook with a classmate or something

Old 12-27-2009 at 02:23 AM   #9
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times
if bernier is teaching it, then its a good thing. he's an amazing prof. Either way this course is fairly easy.. it has the same level of difficulty as enviro 1g03.
Old 12-28-2009 at 02:57 PM   #10
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times
What exactly are the labs about? I have a hard time figuring out what you can accomplish in 50 minutes. Also, are they anything like chem labs? because I hate those.
Old 01-02-2010 at 11:37 AM   #11
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times
ya i was wondering the same thing, wat o we do in these labs?
Old 01-02-2010 at 06:38 PM   #12
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
basically they ta explains the lab assignment (which is just sort of problem solving based on concepts discussed in class and there is also a short essay involved too). You do most of the assignment outside of the class but often part of the assignment is done in class and the TA initials it.
Old 04-25-2010 at 05:17 PM   #13
blenicnl

Liked: 4 Times
1a03
I took this class in 2010 with Dr. Bernier. Overall the class was one of the easier courses I've taken so far and probably the easiest environmental science I have taken. In terms of interest the material is boring at times but I find after a few months every class becomes mundane.
This is the breakdown
Midterm
There was one midterm worth 20%. It was easy with some MC, fill in the bank definitions and a few short answer which were mostly diagrams.
Labs 30% (6x5%)
Usually labs are a pain, but in this class the prof devoted a whole lecture to explaining each lab, which no one went to since he posted step-by-step instructions on line. Overall, they weren't as annoying as some other enviro classes.
Exam 35%
The exam was very similar to the midterm in regards to format and difficulty. If you just review Luc's lecture notes you would do just fine.

Also there were 3 online quizzes worth 5% each and those were easy grade boosters.

Last edited by blenicnl : 04-25-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2010 at 03:33 PM   #14
erinterpol

Liked: 0 Times
i thought this was a pretty easy course. the load was pretty light, too. highly recommended.
Old 08-16-2010 at 08:22 AM   #15
karna

Liked: 28 Times
good course as an elective

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search