MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
ENVIR SC 1A03 vs 1B03 jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-03-2010 11:17 AM
envir sci 1a03 vs 1b03 nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-03-2009 03:05 PM

Envir Sci 1B03

Envir Sci 1B03
Published by Harlequin
07-03-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
40%40%40%
Professor Rating
60%60%60%
Interest
40%40%40%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 48%
Envir Sci 1B03

I took this course as an elective hoping it would be easy (which it was) but it was reeeaallly boring. Which made me not want to go to class. Or study.

Breakdown:
Midterm 1 - 15%
Midterm 2 - 15%
Labs (4) - 20%
Paper - 20%
Final - 30%

The prof, Dr Bernier, was alright. He explained the material well, not that the material was too hard to explain. But he answered questions well and was fairly okay to listen to. He put up his incomplete lecture slides on webCT and you had to fill in the blanks during lecture. He does not post up complete lecture slides so probably wise to go to class or have someone lend you notes if you're going to miss a class. We watched 3 or 4 movies throughout the term and there was one question on the final from one of the movies.

Like I said, the course material was very boring, for me anyway. The first few lectures we talked about ecosystems and biodiversity and a lot of it was review form Bio 1M03. Then we started talking about soil and water for what seemed like forever. We also got into pollution, waste, hazardous chemicals, and agriculture.

The labs are very easy. I think 3 of them were 'dry' labs. One of them we had to do a bunch of stuff with soil. Pretty straightforward and an easy 20%.

For the paper we were given a bunch of vague topics and told to narrow in on a very specific environmental issue and write a paper on it. There wasn't too much more instruction as far as the content of the paper goes, it was pretty much up to you. We had a month or so to write it and I thought they were marked pretty easily.

The tests and exam are non cumulative. They were all pretty easy if you studied. They has matching, short answer and long answer. The questions were straightforward but you really had to study the lecture notes well - diagrams and all.

So easy elective. Boring course. If you're someone who's not gonna end up going to class and studying cause it bores you (like me)...I wouldn't take it.

0t10, Achangetoday, infinity8, Jason036 all say thanks to Harlequin for this post.

zahrakarimi likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Envir Sci 1B03!

Old 01-11-2010 at 05:06 PM   #2
zahrakarimi
Program: Biology
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Hey, your post was really helpful. I have 1B03 this semester and i haven't bought the textbook yet, so i was wondering if you used the textbook at all to study for the midterms/exams, or were his notes enough?
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-12-2010 at 07:08 AM   #3
Harlequin
Program: BioPsych
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 35 Times
I don't think you need the textbook at all. Everything on the tests came from his notes.
Old 06-03-2010 at 01:52 PM   #4
aliatehreem
Faculty: Arts & Science

I don't really like enviro, so I guess it's not a good idea if I take it :S

Old 02-14-2011 at 12:54 PM   #5
Skye
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Year: Third

Liked: 3 Times
Taking this course now and I LOVE it!! I hated earthsci1G03 so I was really apprehensive about this course. Dr.Bernier is a wonderful prof and he actually made this course really interesting for me!! However going to class is a must in order to get notes (as well as hints for tests).
Old 02-14-2011 at 12:56 PM   #6
Skye

Another thing.. DO NOT BUY THE TEXTBOOK!! That was a huge waste of money!! everything you needed to know you will get from your notes!!
Old 02-14-2011 at 03:35 PM   #7
alh24
Elite Member
Program: Economics

Liked: 243 Times
Agreed. I hated 1G03, but Bernier's classes are always really good. I've had him 4 times, and he's excellent - but the textbooks are almost never necessary. The only time one came in handy for me was the EARTH SC 2WW3 textbook for online quizzes, but you could also Google the answers.

He's really good about giving hints in class for texts and exams. He essentially guaranteed us 40% on the 2WW3 exam by giving us 40 questions out of 100.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:39 PM   #8
dg1000
Program: Hons. Life Sci and Minoring in Environmental Science & Relgious Studies
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Luc Bernier forgot to mark my 3rd assignment in summer.... And by the time I realized it, it was too late....

I'd say that Enviro Sci 1A03 in summer was the best, got a 12 because there were no labs and that we could work together in a group for in-class quizzes! Also, the prof was very nice!
Old 04-16-2011 at 12:52 PM   #9
Skye

Just finished the final exam today!

Now that the course is done here is what I recommend:

Do not buy the textbook Have not even touched it!
seriously go to every class he gives you vital hints
Pay attention during movies and guest lectures!
Do not slack in labs! They are easy and if you work hard they are HUGE boosters!
For midterm +final exam, No multiple choice so you really have to know your stuff
Make sure you know pretty much every single detail If you are studying and you think a point is not important..chances are that one will be on the test
Know every concept and be able to explain/draw diagrams , graphs in lecture notes
For your final paper, make sure you know how to write a decent scientific paper..follow instructions your T.A gives as well following the rubric helped me structure my paper! Get it peer reviewed and edit as much as possible DO NOT leave it to the very last second! It is worth 20 %!. I ended up getting a 94% on my paper, but because i didn't read the instructions carefully (I forgot to submit a sheet along with my paper), so while I got 100% technically, I lost marks due to a stupid mistake.

I personally really enjoyed the course, I am not really an enviro person but after taking this course I do have an interest! I did not find it a bird course but other may tell you they did..I had to work hard to get good marks!

pinkpen says thanks to Skye for this post.
Old 09-13-2011 at 09:11 PM   #10
francb3

This class wasn't too bad overall. The prof was AMAZING. Professor Bernier is really good at explaining the material and making it as interesting as he possibly can but the info is just really boring. Don't buy the textbook because its so useless to this course. I didn't even use it once. And you MUST go to class because everything is purely based off of the lecture notes.
The labs for this course are fairly easily and the TAs are really cool. Overall this class would be a good elective just make sure you pay attention in class!
Old 01-07-2013 at 09:57 PM   #11
Aaliyah
Program: Life Science

I have the class this term and the prof said to buy the textbook. He stated that the online quizzes will have some questions directed to the content in the textbook. Would it be a good idea to buy the textbook?...or no?
Old 12-30-2014 at 10:35 PM   #12
Wolf

Any updated reviews on this course and the breakdown? If anyone also has taken Geo 1HB3, would you recommend this course over that for an elective or no?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search