MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Completely forgot to complete a quiz? MariamH General Discussion 9 11-24-2013 05:13 AM
Was anyone else completely unaware of orientation week? akmac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-06-2011 10:50 AM
CHEM 1R03 for someone who cant even balance an equation ! MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-30-2010 09:14 PM
OSAP equation TMBGiants Financial Aid 5 05-23-2010 12:31 AM
McMaster Completely Screwed Me Over feonateresa Financial Aid 22 11-14-2009 05:47 PM

equation/algorithm that produces a completely random value?

Old 12-04-2014 at 02:45 PM   #1
dshishir42

Liked: 0 Times

equation/algorithm that produces a completely random value?
I was just wondering, is it possible for an equation or an algorithm to exist that calculates an absolutely random numbers?

I mean, an absolute random means that there can be no equation, or combination of equations or anything that can produce a number. If there is, it is not a random. I mean, even the computers use a pseudorandom numbers rather than absolute random numbers.

Is there something that actually generates random number? Any math majors wanna explain it to me?
Old 12-04-2014 at 03:30 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Doubt it, all generated values are predictable. Even if the seed value is random, given enough samples you can see the pattern.
Old 12-04-2014 at 04:06 PM   #3
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Your first and second sentences kind of contradict themselves. You're asking for an equation, then saying no equation exists?

I think the best way to get good random numbers is the usual way of starting with some seed number, like some very very large prime number, then using that to produce a series of numbers. I know there are some generators that use the collisions of cosmic rays (a not random process, but something similar to noise) to create numbers as well
Old 12-04-2014 at 04:18 PM   #4
dshishir42

Well, that is not 'true' random though, right? I dont think humans have yet been capable of making something completely random, or maybe I havent been educated enough.

Taking a seed and and producing a series is again, not completely random, as somebody can generate the exact same number following the step one did. Same thing with noise or cosmic rays, they are not absolutely random..
Old 12-04-2014 at 05:14 PM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshishir42 View Post
Well, that is not 'true' random though, right? I dont think humans have yet been capable of making something completely random, or maybe I havent been educated enough.

Taking a seed and and producing a series is again, not completely random, as somebody can generate the exact same number following the step one did. Same thing with noise or cosmic rays, they are not absolutely random..
Human logic is not some mathematical algorithm written in a microcontroller that you can predict if you know the function. Human brain is infinitely complex, and to predict its random output would be to predict every single random chemical process happening in the brain.

Impossible.
Old 12-05-2014 at 03:17 AM   #6
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Human logic is not some mathematical algorithm written in a microcontroller that you can predict if you know the function. Human brain is infinitely complex, and to predict its random output would be to predict every single random chemical process happening in the brain.

Impossible.
It's not infinitely complex, you have a finite number of atoms, implying a finite number of cells, implying a finite number of electrical signals and chemical reactions. It astronomical, but not infinite.
Old 12-05-2014 at 06:45 AM   #7
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
It's not infinitely complex, you have a finite number of atoms, implying a finite number of cells, implying a finite number of electrical signals and chemical reactions. It astronomical, but not infinite.
I'd fight you on that, but who gives a crud.
Old 12-05-2014 at 11:59 AM   #8
dshishir42

Human dilemna.. Trying to find something without a pattern, or pure randomness like prime distribution in number system it the only one I beleive..
Old 12-05-2014 at 01:30 PM   #9
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Human dilemna.. Trying to find something without a pattern, or pure randomness like prime distribution in number system it the only one I beleive..
Some of us can't even find girlfriends, let alone solve the mysteries of the universe.