MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 2C03 equivalent to MATH 2Z03? jawwadmq Academics 4 05-15-2013 10:25 AM
Course Equivalent Bio 2A03 airvcarmelo Academics 2 03-17-2013 04:20 PM
Equivalent Courses Scuderia Academics 1 03-01-2011 05:16 PM
Eng 1d04 equivalent courses in Toronto k.r.i.s.10 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 11-13-2009 07:13 AM

Equivalent Course?

Old 05-11-2013 at 08:47 PM   #1
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Equivalent Course?
If a course is an Antirequisite for another if I transfer programs will they count that as a credit for the Antirequisite course? Example under engineering math 1za3 it says math 1A03 is an Antirequisite. So I completed math 1A03 will i have to do math 1za3?

Last edited by airvcarmelo : 05-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2013 at 09:19 PM   #2
Freddy

Liked: 4 Times

Nope. Actually, anti reqs generally have the same content but are geared towards a particular group of students. Specific to your example, the math courses are the same with the same tests, exams, etc. but the 1ZA3 is compromised of eng students, and the 1A03 has everyone else
Old 05-11-2013 at 09:33 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

That's not actually true.

In most cases for anti-reqs, a significant amount of course material overlaps, but they're not identical, and they certainly don't have identical tests. There might be the odd one or two cases where they do (if the same prof teaches both, for example, then I could see that happening), but in most cases, anti-reqs are either old course codes from older curricula, or courses in which there is substantial overlap but not identical.

For example, chem 1E03 and 1A03 are antireqs, and most of the material is identical, but it's covered in a different order and the tests are similar but not exactly the same. 1E03 has some extra material covered though, that is not done in 1A03. And the overlap in the test questions for these courses is because the instructional team is the same for both.

If you want to transfer, you should talk to an academic advisor to see what exactly transfers.

airvcarmelo says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 05-11-2013 at 10:34 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Antireq: This is a course which cannot be taken for credit before, after, or at the same time as the course with which it is listed.

What will happen? Idk ask your advisor
Old 05-12-2013 at 05:57 PM   #5
CeceV
Red Suit
Engineering Frosh Controller

Liked: 0 Times

Just so you know OP, Math 1A03 and Math 1ZA3 are completely identical (I think 2012 was the first year where they were COMPLETELY identical, but I could be wrong). We wrote the same tests and everything (they always said math 1A03/1ZA3). I'm pretty sure that although our chems are antireqs, they weren't completely identical though.