MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering 1D04 ericvan1 1st Year Course Reviews 14 06-12-2015 10:56 PM
Engineer 1D04 Ish001 Academics 20 08-08-2010 04:34 PM
any different ways to take 1D04? twinklingme Academics 10 06-04-2010 08:17 PM
1d04 lab endearing66 Academics 2 01-04-2010 01:02 PM
Engineering 1D04 IDE TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-17-2009 02:39 PM

Eng 1d04 equivalent courses in Toronto

Old 11-12-2009 at 11:07 AM   #1
k.r.i.s.10

Liked: 0 Times

Eng 1d04 equivalent courses in Toronto
I'm dropping engineering 1d04 and know that during the summer I need to make up an equivalent course to get into second year eng. I'm wondering if Ryerson, U of T or York offer a course I can take during the summer instead so I won't have to commute.
Old 11-12-2009 at 11:34 AM   #2
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

why not try it again term two ...

I'm sure you learned some things this term so if you dropped it im sure you learned quite a bit ...

For term two it might help u that you sorta have an understanding of the course. The first few labs will be easy for u since u will be used to it . And just try to keep on top of things, I know if you fall behind in this course than your pretty screwed because I am.
Old 11-12-2009 at 12:48 PM   #3
k.r.i.s.10

Liked: 0 Times

I don't think I'll be able to manage that much of a course load, I could take it in place of 1c03 but 1c03 isn't offered in the summer.
Old 11-12-2009 at 02:18 PM   #4
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

my friend took 1C03 in last summer...not sure though...
Old 11-12-2009 at 07:40 PM   #5
WekSos

pretty sure c03 is available in the summer, check online.

compared to d04, co3 is sooo easy. So if anything I would say keep c03 to get a high mark to get a higher C.A , because summer courses dont count in your C.A ,
c03 is split up so that its impossible to fail !!!
Old 11-12-2009 at 09:51 PM   #6
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WekSos View Post
pretty sure c03 is available in the summer, check online.

compared to d04, co3 is sooo easy. So if anything I would say keep c03 to get a high mark to get a higher C.A , because summer courses dont count in your C.A ,
c03 is split up so that its impossible to fail !!!
Just a quick correction, summer courses do in fact count towards your CA. It does not, however, contribute to the points thingy which is used in competing for your preferred engineering stream in the 2nd year.
Old 11-12-2009 at 11:18 PM   #7
WekSos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayinaim View Post
Just a quick correction, summer courses do in fact count towards your CA. It does not, however, contribute to the points thingy which is used in competing for your preferred engineering stream in the 2nd year.
ohh, thanks for the correction, I was just told it wasn't counted.
But if its not counted towards your average to apply for 2nd year ... then its kind of useless being counted in your ca? Im not sure really, I just go to class, try to get good marks, and try not to give up ...
Old 11-12-2009 at 11:27 PM   #8
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WekSos View Post
ohh, thanks for the correction, I was just told it wasn't counted.
But if its not counted towards your average to apply for 2nd year ... then its kind of useless being counted in your ca? Im not sure really, I just go to class, try to get good marks, and try not to give up ...
Yeah that was what some people do. Just remember that the points are based on your CA multiplied with your total units (both excluding summer classes), so when you drop a course to increase your CA, you would also decrease your multiplier by 3. So make sure you improve your average grade by at least 3 'grade level' by dropping one course =)

But for some people, they drop some courses to avoid failures because the summer courses would still be counted to see if you can progress to Level II (minimum CA of 4.0 with no failures if i'm not mistaken?) and of course, your CA at the end of your studies. Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2009 at 11:30 PM   #9
WekSos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayinaim View Post
Yeah that was what some people do. Just remember that the points are based on your CA multiplied with your total units (both excluding summer classes), so when you drop a course to increase your CA, you would also decrease your multiplier by 3. So make sure you improve your average grade by at least 3 'grade level' by dropping one course =)

But for some people, they drop some courses to avoid failures because the summer courses would still be counted to see if you can progress to Level II (minimum CA of 4.0 with no failures if i'm not mistaken?) and of course, your CA at the end of your studies. Hope that helps.
ahh makes sense, I still have to talk to sally williams about some question on ca's , university is way to complicated :(

oh ya. 1d04 is tough as hell ... I wish I could drop it and take it term two but I think I still might have a chance to pass considering that I can actually some what read code but not write ... so im just screwed for the labs really ... =\
gah we shall see what happens in a month or so
Old 11-13-2009 at 07:13 AM   #10
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Just a heads up. I remember last year Sally Williams spent an entire lecture during our ENG 1P03 lectures to go over the process of getting into second year. She explains CA, points, and how summer school works etc.

@OP are you trying the practice programs? I'm not a great programmer myself but I found the practice programs EXTREMELY helpful and would do them the night before the lab was do since the code was fresh in my mind. I'm not sure how it is this year though, it may have changed.

Also Moving to Level II Engineering

Take note of this:
"*Decisions announced in June will be made using your C.A. from courses completed during Terms- 1, 2, and 3 of the 2006/2007 session. We will not be using grades from the summer school sessions in the initial calculation. You can not use summer school to upgrade your points. You can only use summer to complete your course requirements (31 units as listed above).
**If you are registered in less than 31 units your C.A. will be multiplied by the minimum requirements of 31 units to determine your points for Engineering II program cut-off."

Good luck!