MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Need some help with Python in Engineering 1D04? aaront Academics 19 11-17-2010 03:56 PM
any different ways to take 1D04? twinklingme Academics 10 06-04-2010 08:17 PM
1d04 lab endearing66 Academics 2 01-04-2010 01:02 PM
Engineering 1D04 IDE TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-17-2009 02:39 PM
First Year Engineering: 1P03, 1C03 and 1D04. ruffy General Discussion 7 07-08-2009 06:00 PM

Engineering 1D04

Engineering 1D04
Engineering Computation
Published by ericvan1
05-24-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
60%60%60%
Professor Rating
50%50%50%
Interest
60%60%60%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 63%
Engineering 1D04

Introduction to Visual Studio. Introduction to algorithms.
Variables. Calling/using methods. If statements. Comments.
Nested ifs. Loops. Creating/writing methods. Scope of variables.
Arrays. File I/O. Classes/Objects. Modular design. Exceptions.

This course starts right from the beginning of programming skills. If you are a programmer you will be bored out of your mind throughout this course. If you have never programmed, you will find the first half of the course easy and the last half more challenging.

5 marked assignments. Counts 20% towards the final grade
5 marked quizzes. Counts 10% towards the final grade
Midterm counts 30% towards the final grade
Final Exam counts 40% towards the final grade

Uses Visual C# 2008

xxsumz says thanks to ericvan1 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Engineering 1D04!

Old 05-26-2009 at 11:14 AM   #2
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 103 Times
If you've programmed in highschool then most likely you won't find this course very challenging. This course is VERY fast paced though. It starts of fairly easy first lab (display text in a textbox I think was the first one) then gets more difficult really fast. For people who have never programmed before I suggest you go to each tutorial because they go through the material giving examples and will help you understand things like arrays, classes, records etc. and also do the practise labs since they are relatively similar to the actual marked labs. Also I don't suggest you buy the textbook since all the material that you'll need will be in lecture/tutorial notes.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-13-2010 at 12:37 PM   #3
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
As stated by the previous people, if you have programmed before this class is a joke. You use Visual C# which is basically a mix of Java and Visual Basic. VB interface with the coding done in Java. The first bit of the course is fairly simple, talking about variables, types, etc... Gets harder once you move into 2D arrays and OOP(object oriented programming). The textbook is honestly pointless to get since pretty much EVERYTHING you need to know will be done in labs and tutorials. I found the lectures completely pointless and only went for the i-clicker marks. The labs imo wernt that bad. (But I have programmed for like 4 years). Thre are also quizzes which are done every other week at the end of your practice lab. They have 5 questions and you have 10-15mins to do it. The questions can be tricky but the material is mostly from tutorials. The midterm and exam are openbook so you can bring all your notes, printouts, textbook etc..

In the end, this course is either a hit or miss. Some people find it really easy and do extremely well. Some people find it too hard and just try to pass. Some people drop it to take in summer school. It just really depends if you can understand the concepts or not. Best advice is to keep making programs...reading the notes and books wont help ya much.

Btw, I had Spencer Smith as my prof...aint the greatest. Goes off topic pretty much the whole lecture.

Last edited by xxsumz : 04-13-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:23 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS FoSo!

Liked: 160 Times
I head something about this changing next year. Is this true?

Old 08-12-2010 at 09:19 PM   #5
Schr0d1ng3r
Program: Engineering Physics
Year: Second
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 0 Times
I found that this course was not an introductory programming course AT ALL. I was constantly a few weeks behind the whole way through the course, failing all but one of the labs. I ended up learning everything 2 weeks too late. My advice would be to work well ahead and make sure you go to tutorials and ask LOTS of questions in practice labs.
Old 08-15-2010 at 08:43 PM   #6
yeshuvai
Program: Electrical Engineering and Management
Year: Fourth

Liked: 1 Time
The problem with the course is that it is too slow for those who have programming experience but it is too fast for those who are beginners. In lectures there were clicker questions which were suppose to see if you understood material that was just presented but I found the difficulty of the questions were way beyond what you should know for material that was just presented in the last slide.
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:41 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

They should offer two levels. If you put yourself in the wrong ones..that's your problem
Old 08-16-2010 at 01:52 PM   #8
yeshuvai
Program: Electrical Engineering and Management

Liked: 1 Time
Well they should at least not make it so painfully slow the first few weeks so people don't think it's a bird course
Old 04-25-2011 at 08:42 PM   #9
jitto92
Program: Software Engineering

This was definitely one of my favorite courses. Although, I did not feel the tests and exams were not a true test of knowledge of the material we covered. If you enjoy programming, read ahead and do a lot of practice, this course is sure to be an easy A
Old 01-02-2012 at 10:22 AM   #10
h9i9j9
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

Can anyone comment on the labs? Are they long and marked? I have a class conflicting with the last hour of the lab, can I consistantly make it to my class and finish the lab? (I have programming experience, and I'm willing to prep before the labs.)
Old 01-02-2012 at 01:18 PM   #11
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

which class?and it should be impossible to fix your scedule with help of Sally. If you have programming experience and know whats haappen before lab, you should be able to get it done in two hours, but there are always those times you may not
Old 01-02-2012 at 02:22 PM   #12
h9i9j9
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

I'm not from engineering, I have differential equations at that time. Sadly, i can't fix it... my classes conflicts with all the lab. This is the best day I could find. Are the labs marked? Is there like a marked quiz at the end?
Old 09-10-2012 at 11:08 AM   #13
spasojm
Program: Engineering & Management

h9i9 yes there are marked labs every other week and marked quizzes on opposite weeks
Old 09-19-2012 at 01:52 AM   #14
rahink
Program: Software Engineering

This was probably the only course I enjoyed in first year. Make sure you go to all tutorials and pay attention. Because they were mandatory I attended them .. which actually helped me alot. If you go to all classes, tutorials and do just a little practice(hw) you should get above a 10 if you've done programming before. If you havent done programming you should still get around a 7-10 if you attend all lectures, tutorials.. etc. Course is very fast paced, one assignment is so easy, then suddenly next one is next level.
Old 06-12-2015 at 10:56 PM   #15
justicebeaver
Program: Criminal Justice

Liked: 9 Times
-As of 2014-15 the course uses Python.
-There are 5 Major Labs, each worth 6%, total of 30%, which are every other week
-Minors labs worth a total of 2%, which are alternate with major labs
-Tutorials and Lectures have attendance marks. Lectures have clicker questions, easy if you pay attention or go to next page of slides
-Course if as easy as it gets in Eng I if you have done even a little bit of programming or are willing to spend maybe a few hours a week
-Here are the key concepts that are covered:
+Variables, Data types, Ints, Floats, Strings, Lists
+Loops, For, While
+Conditionals, If Elseif, Else
+Functions
+Classes
+Recursion, lectures only, no labs
+Computing history
+Algorithms, sorting etc.

Its very realistic to aim at getting a 12 in this course.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search