MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mechatronics - Discussion Evo9 Academics 17 11-25-2011 01:04 PM
Mechatronics II Zachary Academics 3 09-09-2011 02:10 PM
Mechatronics paras Academics 0 09-08-2011 10:35 PM
Please help, with mechatronics Moson Mo General Discussion 24 01-20-2011 08:21 AM
Mechatronics cowpuppy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-30-2009 02:49 PM

For the Ex-Mechatronics ppl... In need of some help

Old 01-09-2012 at 02:29 PM   #1
patso29

Liked: 3 Times

For the Ex-Mechatronics ppl... In need of some help
This is also for mechatronics ppl...

1) were you ever able to get a non-programming co-op job or job after graduation
2) what were your reasons for switching out? because I'm starting to realize that I did mechatronics to get a mix of electrical + mechanical b/c i like aspects of both. But I'm starting to realize that all I'm going to be able to get is a programming job....which has been reinforced by the job postings on oscar

If the upper years could give me some words of wisdom it would be greatly appreciated, cause my guidance counsellor told me to consider switching to mechanical but i'm not sure if that would help things
Old 01-10-2012 at 12:30 AM   #2
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

In my second year I was in Mechatronics & Management and I had roughly the same rationale as yourself for choosing it. Here at Mac, the key distinction between itself and other Mechatronics programs offered at say, U of T and Waterloo, is that it is offered through the software engineering department as opposed to being a stream within the mechanical engineering department. Thus, software theory and development is the core of this program here at Mac.

The reason why I switched out was partly due to the fact that I became very interested in the electrical side of things but felt that the extent and depth of coverage presented was not what I had hoped for. I found it very strange that the electrical courses taught were through the eng phys department and not through ECE. This is just my opinion. I have always had an interest in the bio-field and that helped me make my decision as well.

In terms of co-ops, don't expect too much considering you are still in second year and there is still much theory to go through. Software jobs are common simply because it really comes down to whether you can program or not. As you learn more practical theory in your upper years you will see that there will be a larger scope in terms of job positions that you would be able to apply for.

I didn't particularly enjoy the program, but I know of a bunch of people who are very content with where they are with no regrets.

Hope that helped, sorry for the essay...

patso29 says thanks to jp1390 for this post.

Silver likes this.
Old 01-10-2012 at 05:35 PM   #3
patso29

Liked: 3 Times

No worries I appreciate the essay. Yaa I'm just hoping that the scope widens and branches out from just programming jobs. I'm kind of like you, as I love Bio and I find the applications of circuits interesting, but what's preventing me from switching is that I find constantly doing circuits annoying, and that I like business and want to have the management degree as well. I hoped tron would be a hybrid of mechanical + electrical, but It's not so I'm not sure what to do. I can bear with it as long as I know I can get a non-programming job after all of this...which I am still doubtful of. Were the ppl content with the tron program all software lovers?
Old 01-10-2012 at 08:05 PM   #4
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Third year is a LOT of software. If you dont like software then you wont like quite a few courses.
Old 01-10-2012 at 09:35 PM   #5
Aftermath

Liked: 5 Times

fourth year tron/mgmnt. It's almost all software/hardware. You get to select Mech courses as technical electives and take a few required Mech courses. So far the the 4th year required mech courses I've taken are named 'Robotics' and 'Mechatronics', which doesn't really fall far from software.