MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, how are you tron people finding mechatronics? Ownaginatios Academics 16 10-24-2010 11:53 PM
Lab Conflict? (Mechatronics Eng) AnguishedEnd Academics 3 08-18-2009 10:37 PM
HELP with mechatronics courses quick!! highoutput Academics 8 06-22-2009 02:23 AM
Mechatronics cowpuppy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-30-2009 02:49 PM

Please help, with mechatronics

Old 01-18-2011 at 11:26 PM   #1
Moson Mo

Liked: 1 Time

Please help, with mechatronics
Hey, I really need some help for making a decision. So, any help with be appreciated.

Firstly, I am a first year engineering student, and I am pretty sure to go for mechatronics.

Maybe I should probably do some introduction of myself first.

I was one of the top students back in my high school, and I applied to UW. However, I got rejected by it. (Got nothing to do with academics). So, Here I am.

After I came here in Sept, I realized that I loved here although I still wanted to go to Waterloo.

Now, here comes to the problem. Because I really want to go for mechatronics, and I researched this program in both Mac and Waterloo. Apparently, Waterloo has advantages for it. would anyone in this program like to share their opinions?

In terms of campus, I love Mac.
In terms of people, I love Mac.
In terms of atmosphere, I love Mac.

Better education------ Waterloo?
Better reputation------Waterloo?
More easy to get a job-----Waterloo?

I know that it is really really a boring question, but I just can't get it out of my mind. It has already been last for couple mouths, I really want to get rid of it.

So, please help me up!
Old 01-18-2011 at 11:36 PM   #2
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Engineering degree is standardize in Ontario.

I disagree that a particular University will gives you more education than another. In fact, Ontario universities are great in keeping a high standard so don't rest your decision on this alone.

More evidence to this is graduate schools for Engineering. They only care about the marks you get and not the University you went to.

Reputation won't affect you as much as you think in the real world. Experience will always triumph.

Here is where Waterloo win, the ability to get a job should be higher due to their enforce co-op program. But again, this is all depend on the applicants on a case to case basis. Don't think just because you came from Waterloo with a degree that you will immediately get a free ticket to a full time job.

Come tomorrow to the Social Connection Night. 40 professionals to answer your question and concern.

Last edited by PHLN : 01-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.

L'Étoile, Moson Mo all say thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 01-18-2011 at 11:47 PM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Mr. GuangSheng,

I don't understand why do you have to mention that you are "one of the top students back in my high school" and that you "got rejected by it. (Got nothing to do with academics)" ... What does that have to do with recommendations about the mechatronics engineering program in McMaster?

Oh one thing that contradicts with the first statement quoted is "pretty sure to go for mechatronics." is grammatically incorrect. "Should probably do some introduction of myself first" is also grammatically incorrect. I am not trying to be mean, but no need to "do some introduction" and rub your wonderful high school marks in my face

Have a great day,

L'Étoile

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Patrick.O likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:00 AM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Mr. GuangSheng,

I don't understand why do you have to mention that you are "one of the top students back in my high school" and that you "got rejected by it. (Got nothing to do with academics)" ... What does that have to do with recommendations about the mechatronics engineering program in McMaster?

Oh one thing that contradicts with the first statement quoted is "pretty sure to go for mechatronics." is grammatically incorrect. "Should probably do some introduction of myself first" is also grammatically incorrect. I am not trying to be mean, but no need to "do some introduction" and rub your wonderful high school marks in my face

Have a great day,

L'Étoile
Don't be an ass.

Old 01-19-2011 at 12:03 AM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Mr. GuangSheng,

Have a great day,

L'Étoile
I could spend months ripping apart foreigners' incorrect grammar, but I generally have better things to do.

While I don't really agree with the OP's statements, you should consider the fact that he's probably only been in Canada a few months. Yeah, the structure of his sentences and grammar could use some help, I wouldn't be exaggerating to say that his written English is better than many people's, including many posters here.

Also, you left out a verb in the second clause in your last sentence. Should be something like "but there is no need to".

And you forgot the period at the end.

Anyway, Waterloo requires engineering applicants to provide an acceptable supplementary, so it's likely his rejection stemmed from that. Not a big deal imo, to be honest I don't think many employers care that you were class president in high school or that you were the star quarterback or whatever. (That's not to say the skills you gained in those positions, are useless though; leadership and teamwork are important, but with some exceptions, I don't think you shouldn't be rejected from a learning institution for not possessing those traits. That's a whole other argument though.)

To answer the OP's questions...I can't. I'm in Materials. PHLN is right though in that most employers will considered all engineering degrees equal though.

You can't quantify something like the education quality of a school. Waterloo isn't "better" than Mac, but that doesn't mean Mac's "better" than Waterloo either. They'll probably teach different somewhat things using different methods, but I'm pretty sure the PEO or something requires that all engineering students are taught the same material at the core.

As for getting a job, PHLN got it again, but just to reinforce his point, it's only easier because the mandatory co-op program pretty much forces you to get a job, whereas the Engineering co-op department here doesn't care as long as they're getting your $100 every year.

Last edited by Entropy : 01-19-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Moson Mo says thanks to Entropy for this post.

Geek, Pay919 like this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:03 AM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Don't be an ass.
I am not being an ass, but there is no reason to mention that he was one of the top students in high school. Why is everything about ****ing marks?! Pisses me off.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:04 AM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Don't be an ass.
Think L'Étoile was just trying to keep his ego in line.

A friend that is in Waterloo's Business did say Waterloo's Engineers are notorious for having an elite attitude.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:17 AM   #8
Vic.And

Liked: 2 Times

according to a friend of mine: "tron here focuses alot more on software than anything else. heard waterloo's in more focused on mechanical. the tron program here hasn't been ironed out yet, still has problems with assumed knowledge.tron is hard. accept that you have to learn things fast. I just learned most of the cplusplus language in the last 5 hours and have to apply it to finish an assignment by friday. expect that you won't have the prior or complimentary knowledge that other disciplines have. You just have to learn faster."

Last edited by Vic.And : 01-19-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:56 AM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

waterloo does have a better rep and their co-op from what iv seen (job searching help) is superb and that is what has made them successful. because of their rep, many big firms go there first. it is true an eng degree is same as any other eng degree, except maybe waterloo may have prepped them abit better in terms of coop and give them abit of rep. note u have to be able to survive, im sure wat is like 2-3 times harder than mac
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:03 AM   #10
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I'm gonna start with a little of my experience and opinions, take from it what you will.

I don't know much seeing as I only finished one semester of mechatronics but I can tell you its decently balanced. Profs are more or less good, and the courses give you a taste of well, pretty much everything. I was originally put off from mechatronics due to the saying "jack of all trades, master at none" but I'm starting to see that being well-rounded isn't a kick, its a crutch. It's pretty cool to dabble in various subjects and learn things here and there. It makes you versatile.

Mind you I only have but one negative thing to say about Mechatronics here, and its that (to my knowledge) we don't take any courses with the ECE department, and you'd think our circuit courses would be in the electrical engineering realm as opposed to Engineering physics. But besides that, its accredited so your pretty much learning what you should be learning.

One difference is that the Waterloo version of mechatronics may be more geared(pun intended) to another stream (example: more mechanically oriented). I hear Mac mechatronics is more geared towards embedded systems (lots of software).
As for job opportunities, You'll end up having to look for coop on your own at Mac as opposed to Waterloo, but thats pretty much it, If you love the university then I wouldn't worry too much about wanting to switch.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Moson Mo says thanks to Boolean for this post.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 07:31 AM   #11
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I don't have experience with Mechatronics but I'm just going to say something from what I've learned in my 4 years here. I had the choice between Waterloo and Mac and I decided on McMaster because of the environment here at Mac. I think that if you're in a school that you don't feel comfortable in then it doesn't matter if they have a better rep you still probably won't do as good at it. I think that sentence was a little confusing so I'll clarify. Basically, if you feel comfortable at a school then you'll be more at ease to learning, that's how it was for me anyways. I don't regret anything, I've gotten more opportunities having come to McMaster than had I gone to Waterloo.

Moson Mo says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 01-19-2011 at 08:15 AM   #12
Moson Mo

Oh, it is good to see so many replies.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]Thank you for sharing your opinions. Yes, Mac is great, and university is not about reputation, it should be the place for learning. So I've made up my mind. I am going to stay at Mac and do my best to achieve my goal.
Mac is a great school, why? Just simply look at the replies on this post.

I have to say something. The reason why I mentioned I was the top student in my high school is only trying to state that I had the ability to go to UW, not trying to show the marks. If it displeased some people, I am sorry.
L'Étoile

Watoko likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 08:17 AM   #13
Moson Mo

a............ why I the name that I copied always appears behind what am I writing?L'Étoile
Old 01-19-2011 at 08:22 AM   #14
Moson Mo

L'Etoile:
I am sorry for placing your name in two unrelated post. OK, thanks for pointing out my grammatical mistakes although it didn't provide any useful information. But that's what I needed. And the reason I got rejected is exactly the English requirement. Now, you know the reason why I pointed out I was the top student? have a nice day.
Old 01-19-2011 at 09:26 AM   #15
stevenback7

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Hello,

I am a third year mechatronics and management student and president of the mcmaster engineering robotics club.

McMaster Mechatronics is an amazing program, in high school I had the same dilemma between Waterloo and Mac and choose MAC for both academics and as a school in general. Yes, we are a bit more focused on the embedded systems then the mechanical. However, you have technical electives in your fourth year that would allow you to specialize to more mechanical if you so do choose.

In regards to the person who was saying we don't do a lot of circuits and we don't do it with ECE. Wait until you hit third year and you wont be saying that anymore.

We do a lot of great project hear as well. Last semester I build a pacemaker. This semester I am building an OS. We are always building circuits from scratch.

If you want to really know all the details about Mechatronics I recommend you talk with either Dr. Lawford or Dr. Morchenchildt. Both will tell you straight up the answer and wont try and trick you into getting in the program. The program is really tough like all engineering but because you learn so much of so many different areas it has a new degree of difficulty to it.

Good luck with your decision.

p.s Definetly show up to the night that Mechatronics discusses there program to first year engineers.