MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a head start in Tron Boolean Academics 7 06-13-2010 07:24 PM
Lab Conflict? (Mechatronics Eng) AnguishedEnd Academics 3 08-18-2009 10:37 PM
HELP with mechatronics courses quick!! highoutput Academics 8 06-22-2009 02:23 AM
Mechatronics cowpuppy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-30-2009 02:49 PM
ENG II Course finding help. Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-08-2008 06:56 PM

So, how are you tron people finding mechatronics?

Old 10-24-2010 at 01:14 AM   #1
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

So, how are you tron people finding mechatronics?
So I'm finding it kinda dumb how many software classes Mechatronics people are just randomly thrown into in third year.

For example; Mech Tron 3TA4. This class is a mechatronics class, but in a way, SFWR ENG 2DA4 is practically a prerequisite.... but people in tron don't take that. I don't understand how they're supposed to understand things like finite state machines, shift registers or all those things without having taken classes on it before. The prof just skimmed over all of it in two seconds, like everyone already knows it (which is only true for the software eng embedded people). Last year we had a class practically only on FSMs lol (SFWR ENG 2FA3).

And now I'm looking at the schedule for next semester, and both software and mechatronics have a class on Intel assembly (SFWR ENG 3F03). Right now, people in software are taking a class on MIPS assembly (SFWR ENG 3GA3), which is kind of like a primer for Intel assembly (since it's waaay less complicated). The only prior experience mechatronics people are going to have is the very basic assembly stuff we learn in mechtron 3TA4, which I personally don't find sufficient on its own.

The worst if for people in tron and management, since they won't have even taken 3TA4 before 3F03.

So to anyone in tron out there; I'm curious - are you actually understanding everything that's going on?

I personally think the program could use some restructuring...
Old 10-24-2010 at 01:22 AM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Yeah, its really easy.
Old 10-24-2010 at 01:25 AM   #3
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

i found it easy too i advise everyone to take it really easy class

Rakim says thanks to Juve for this post.
Old 10-24-2010 at 01:36 AM   #4
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

So far second year tron isn't too too bad but taking courses in 3-4 diff streams (civil, mech, sftwr, engphys) its kinda crap since all midterms end up in the same week (i know i know welcome to eng). Cool stuff, I'm pretty anxious to learn about how hardware communicates with software (what kind of 3rd year sftwr courses do you think satisfies that?) Embedded systems looks interesting but its intimidating since, as you said, we don't take all of these courses that introduce the material.

What level of detail does sftwr 3SH3 go into?* (i haven't checked if its second or first semester so my bad if you haven't taken it yet.)

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Last edited by Boolean : 10-24-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2010 at 01:48 AM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
i found it easy too i advise everyone to take it really easy class
I have yet to see you make an intelligent and/or grammatically correct post. [moderated]

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 10-24-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Old 10-24-2010 at 01:53 AM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I have yet to see you make an intelligent and/or grammatically correct post yet. Please kill yourself.
Dont be mean D:
Old 10-24-2010
Juve
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-24-2010 at 02:00 AM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
what kind of 3rd year sftwr courses do you think satisfies that?
Mechtron 3TA4, SFWR ENG 3F03, SFWR ENG 3K04 and SFWR ENG 3SH3 I think.

Quote:
What level of detail does sftwr 3SH3 go into?* (i haven't checked if its second or first semester so my bad if you haven't taken it yet.)
Funny enough, there are a couple software courses that people in software don't actually take. SFWR ENG 3K04 for example is only taken by tron and comp.eng. I believe the same goes for 3SH3, so I don't know anything about that. Sounds like an interesting class though :p.

Boolean says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 10-24-2010
Rakim
Old 10-24-2010 at 02:06 AM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
lol @ my comment getting flagged calm down pus sy
I would write an angry response to that, but I know that's what you want. I choose to ignore you.

Boolean likes this.
Old 10-24-2010
Juve
Old 10-24-2010 at 09:28 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its very considerate that you're looking out for people not even in your program
Old 10-24-2010 at 10:48 AM   #10
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I feel silly for not knowing MAC had Mechatronics. My older brother's taking taking mechatronics @ Waterlooo, so I'm familiar with the program. Reading the opening post does make it sound like some restructuring of the course is in order. How old is the Mechatronics course here at McMaster? It wouldn't surprise me if it's a fairly young course and that's why they are still working out the kinks. I know Waterloo's course has been restructured in the last year.
Old 10-24-2010 at 11:58 AM   #11
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

Last year we had a class practically only on FSMs lol (SFWR ENG 2FA3).
Maybe would've helped on that ridiculous datapath question on the midterm lol.

Anyways to answer your question I don't think it needs to be restructured much. This is what Mechatronics is all about. Learning the concepts from multiple disciplines but not going as indepth as the people in the straight stream.
Old 10-24-2010 at 12:02 PM   #12
camais

Liked: 30 Times

im in second year and its been pretty easy so far. just small mistakes keep chipping away at my mark, but the concepts and work arent difficult at all atm. although what you say does worry me about 3rd + 4th year...