MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exams HG88 Academics 6 08-16-2009 11:52 PM
Exams in May? cowcow Academics 5 04-01-2009 09:17 PM
2 exams on same day =( kenvin100 Academics 13 12-04-2008 05:07 PM
Where to buy minifridge with freezer? (retail) kenvin100 General Discussion 5 08-20-2008 08:26 AM

When exams are/ Freezer Available??

Old 08-02-2011 at 09:32 AM   #1
chelseac

Liked: 0 Times

When exams are/ Freezer Available??
Hi, I was just wondering when the exams usually are in April because I'm doing a leave of absense for my work and need to put when I will be available to come back to work. Also, I'm in Edwards res and was wondering if there are freezers for me to bring food. Anyone know?
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011 at 09:42 AM   #2
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Exams usually start from the second week of April right till the end. I believe last year was from April 7-28. You'll find out the exact dates of your exams around Reading Week in February. If you are taking any half year courses (3 units instead of 6), you'll also have exams in December.

As for freezers, I don't know if the rules have changed since I was in res, but I rented a small fridge that also had a very tiny freezer. It really didn't hold much. Most (all?) res' have a common area with a fridge and freezer, but I know of some people who lost their food that they were keeping in there. So the risk is up to you to store it in there!

chelseac likes this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:24 AM   #3
chelseac

Dang. I know this year that we are only allowed to rent fridges not bring in our own.. what a rip...
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:58 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Here's the schedule: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...sessional.html

You won't know your exam schedule until like end of Feb or March. So you might end on an earlier day. But at least for now you'll know you can't have an exam past that last day.
Old 08-02-2011 at 12:20 PM   #5
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Just so you know the fridge I rented from Coldex (the only place you can technically get them for Mac Res) didn't have a fridge.

I would just bring in your own mini-fridge with a freezer a week or two after move-in. (They supposedly won't move in your own fridge at move-in as it's against the rules.)
Old 08-02-2011 at 06:49 PM   #6
chelseac

Would anyone say anything if I moved it in? Or would I get in trouble?
Old 08-02-2011 at 07:18 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Well I moved my fridge in on move-in day because I didn't know there was this rule...and no one said anything, so give it a try?
Old 08-02-2011 at 07:19 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseac View Post
Would anyone say anything if I moved it in? Or would I get in trouble?
It's the first year they have this rule, so no one really knows for sure, but there will be tons of people around, I'm sure someone will see you with your fridge and say something. Also, elevators are reserved for the staff/volunteers that are physically moving stuff to people's rooms, so you would have to carry it up the stairs, which may or may not be a problem depending what floor you live on.

If you move it in after move-in day, and someone sees, you could get in trouble because you're breaking one of the rules. Also, you'd have to move it out during the winter break because they inspect your room during that time.
Old 08-02-2011 at 07:28 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
Well I moved my fridge in on move-in day because I didn't know there was this rule...and no one said anything, so give it a try?
The rule was supposed to be in place for September 2010, but when a lot of people complained about not notifying them of this change early enough, they changed it so that it would take effect this year - September 2011.
Old 08-02-2011 at 07:30 PM   #10
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Never mind what I said then lmao
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:06 PM   #11
chelseac

Dumb rule. I could buy a fridge for around $130 instead of having to rent it for that per year. Sigh, wasteful wasteful
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:06 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Dumb rule. I could buy a fridge for around $130 instead of having to rent it for that per year. Sigh, wasteful wasteful
I know, it really sucks. I'm glad I never bought one to begin with. Guess I'll just have to use the common fridge :(

chelseac likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:11 AM   #13
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Technically, isn't it less wasteful, since there aren't hundreds/thousands of mini-fridges that potentially won't be used again after first year lying around? At least Coldex can guarantee they'll be reused... o_o

And supposedly they're more "green" than other fridges, whatever that means.
Old 08-03-2011 at 09:59 AM   #14
chelseac

I don't see people just leaving there fridges around second year, considering most first years (not all) usually go off campus second year and find there own place. Plus why would you buy a new fridge and just leave it around? Doesn't really make sense
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:53 AM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I don't see people just leaving there fridges around second year, considering most first years (not all) usually go off campus second year and find there own place. Plus why would you buy a new fridge and just leave it around? Doesn't really make sense
I agree. My brother had a fridge in his first year and I'm still using it like 6 years later. We also use it at home to put drinks in when I'm not living in Hamilton.

chelseac likes this.