MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Emergency outdoor siren testing Daily News MacInsiders Announcements 7 02-01-2010 01:18 PM
P.A.P Testing burforbt General Discussion 41 10-22-2009 10:06 PM
ELM Testing ~*Sara*~ General Discussion 11 09-27-2009 01:42 PM
Siren Testing on Campus kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-26-2009 09:30 AM
New Facebook profile design!! Chad General Discussion 17 07-16-2008 08:33 AM

Facebook Testing New Design

Facebook Testing New Design

For all the Facebook users out there, they've been bucket testing a new design (see screenshots attached - sorry, some not in English). The design changes put search as dominant in the top left, introduce new icons beside the search box which light up when new messages appear, and move what was previously in that floating bar at the bottom of your screen back to the left side.

What do you think of it?
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Attached Images
File Type: jpg facebook1.jpg (29.9 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg facebook2.jpg (11.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg facebook3.jpg (15.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg facebook4.jpg (14.6 KB, 105 views)
Deleted Post
Old 11-29-2009 at 09:23 PM   #2
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
I've started really hating facebook when they added chat. Every since then, it's been progressing.

Old 11-29-2009 at 09:48 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
I'm not sure about it.

It doesn't look terrible, but what did they do with the chat and notifications stuff? I can live without chat, but notifications are pretty useful (a good way to see when people wrote on your wall or whatever that didn't clog up your inbox).

It also seems like its a lot of screen space devoted to events etc.

Old 11-29-2009 at 09:51 PM   #4
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times
I wish they would settle on a layout and stop changing it all the time

Old 11-29-2009 at 09:51 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
I don't use facebook all that much anymore... in my opinion it should have stayed a university-students only site. Ever since it became public, it has gone downhill.

I hate all the stupid applications I get invited to all the time, and I don't even bother using the chat function... I only use facebook to check on events, and even then, I don't log into facebook unless I need to RSVP. If an RSVP isn't important or it's an event I don't really care about, the email I recieve is often enough... I'm on facebook maybe once or twice per week now.

On the new design: it doesn't look all that different.... for a user like me, they can change things around all they want, and it probably won't really matter. The worst change was from the original facebook to the one they have now... I avoided that one for as long as I possibly could.

Last edited by Taunton : 11-29-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Old 11-29-2009 at 10:10 PM   #6
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times
I haven't even gotten used to the last set of changes. I'm terribly frightened of more changes...

Old 11-29-2009 at 10:48 PM   #7
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times
Facebook seriously needs to stop reinventing itself.

adrian, Iamanonymous, Moo!io like this.

Old 11-29-2009 at 11:07 PM   #8
Nate1

Liked: 2 Times
ugh,i honestly hate this "new" facebook,it changed for me last week and i hate it

Old 11-29-2009 at 11:53 PM   #9
scott000

Liked: 8 Times
looks like the ads are getting bigger

Old 11-30-2009 at 07:40 AM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I completely agree that it should have stayed a university-only site. I understand why they made it public (ie. money), but I wish it was just for university students.

They keep changing it. I just got used to the most recent change.

Taunton likes this.

Old 11-30-2009 at 02:33 PM   #11
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott000 View Post
looks like the ads are getting bigger
Online advertising really needs to change, because most people who don't want to see ads, won't (due to ad blocking software, or w/e). Sometime soon, somehow, online advertising is going to go through a revolution.

Old 11-30-2009 at 03:22 PM   #12
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times
You're all a bunch of cainophobes!

But yeah, I've always been a fan of the new Facebook designs, because I think they're generally improving, design wise. I don't think a lot of people hate the way it looks, but because a lot of people are a afraid of change. If you were to come to Facebook after this change is implemented, you probably would like how it looks, especially when compared to the "competition", MySpace, Bebo, etc.

mgallant likes this.

Old 11-30-2009 at 04:29 PM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
I really liked the original MySpace idea of letting people do their own html. Yes it means that each individual page can either be very tasteful, or full of . But it gave people a lot more freedom over their page.

I actually liked MySpace more than Facebook, although I think a lot of that was because nobody ever really used privacy settings.

Old 11-30-2009 at 05:20 PM   #14
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times
I've been off Facebook for over 2 years and haven't looked back. The fact that I could change my birthday and still solicit 40 birthday wishes made me realize that I didn't in fact have 600 friends and that I should take the handful of friends I do have any enjoy them in real life.

Old 11-30-2009 at 10:02 PM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
I've been off Facebook for over 2 years and haven't looked back. The fact that I could change my birthday and still solicit 40 birthday wishes made me realize that I didn't in fact have 600 friends and that I should take the handful of friends I do have any enjoy them in real life.
LOL. Yes, Facebook 'friends' are not really friends at all. Some people ask me why I deleted 200+ friends a few months ago, and I say: "What do you think?"

Anyway, I vote Facebook go back to the way it was when it started + Notifications. = Win.

No apps, no games, no chat, no intrusive/ugly ads, no quizzes.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search