MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part Eight: Faculty of Engineering Saleha Faculty & Program Series 0 09-15-2009 12:31 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM

Faculty Of Engineering

Old 07-19-2007 at 08:25 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Faculty Of Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
Discussion thread

All engineering students at McMaster take a common first year program. It introduces you to the profession and gives you a solid background in the fundamentals important to engineering disciplines. You' ll be able to explore the 44 available degree options before choosing what you' d like to study in second year. You' ll also have the opportunity to bond with all of your peers, regardless of their future area of study.

You' ll take part in challenging, discipline-specific projects that will give you experience in the different degree options. Senior undergraduate students from different disciplines take an active role in these projects as consultants and mentors. In addition, information sessions about each of the degree options are held every spring and academic counseling is available.

The first year program also gives you the opportunity to widen your perspective by taking electives from other faculties. This is important for developing a greater understanding and appreciation of the world in which we live and work. Students choose to take courses in subjects such as philosophy, music, languages, social science and history.

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/prospective/
Old 08-20-2007 at 05:10 PM   #2
chad.s123

Liked: 0 Times

I have noted the hectic schedule of first year engineering and was wondering if any of the upper year students had attempted to have, or maintained, a job throughout the school year as this is something I'm considering persuing. Any input is appreciated,

Chad.
Old 08-20-2007 at 06:57 PM   #3
FrankMiljour

Liked: 4 Times

Frank Believes
I personally opted out of working this year, instead choosing continuously during highschool and full time during the summer. Although, going to some of the orientation meetings or what not, I've met a few upper year students who have studied and worked at the same time. They admit however that they did not have much spare time at all and things were always very hectic.
Old 08-21-2007 at 10:30 AM   #4
[email protected]

Is it advisable to take seven courses in one semsester? What is Eng 1CO3 and 1DO3 like for some one that has done nothing related to these programs before?
Old 03-31-2008 at 04:10 PM   #5
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Does McMaster offer double majors for engineering? I know you can get engineering and management, society etc. but you dont actually end up with a seperate degree in the end.

Ive seen at other universities where, if you are going for two degrees who have similar courses (electrical engineering and computer science for example), some of your course count for both degrees and you can end up with two degrees in less time than it would take to do them seperately.

So does mac offer anyhting like this? Are there any disadvantages to taking a double major? And specifically for a double major in electrical engineering and computer science, would this help me find employment or get into graduate stuidies?

Given the choice, would I be better to take an engineering and management option where I would still only end up with one degree, or would I be better to tke the double major?

Im planning to get my MBA afterwards....would I better to take management and get my MBA in one year, or take the double major in which I would still be able to get my MBA after two years?

Oh the decisions....
Old 04-01-2008 at 09:08 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Some engineering discussion happening in the prospective student thread on admissions: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9 0#post23081
Old 04-25-2008 at 05:36 PM   #7
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

does McMaster check our averages or individual marks..my avg for engineering is 81% but im concerned that my calculus mark may blow it for me! Its not a pity pass but its not 80+ either..
Old 04-25-2008 at 06:21 PM   #8
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I don't know of any universities that care about individual marks, as long as they are above 70%....your calc mark is above 70% right?

If it isn't above 70% im not exactly sure what mac's policy is, but I know some universites might be bothered by it.
Old 04-25-2008 at 07:26 PM   #9
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

I actually e-mailed McMaster at the goeng1 e-mail about this earlier this year when I did absolutely terrible on my first vectors test! Though I worded it so it wasn't that suspicious... :P

This was the response:
The marks requirements vary slightly from year to year, depending on enrolment numbers, and so on. I understand that this year, it will be around 80% or so. Your marks are calculated based on the entire average, not on specific courses.

So, I'd assume that as long as your average is high enough (ie over 78%), you'll be fine. :D
Old 04-25-2008 at 07:30 PM   #10
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

you've made me feel so much better! course im not gonna follow this excuse. i still have a term left to end on a high note!

Thanks, again!
Old 05-18-2008 at 06:08 PM   #11
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Hmmm how helpful are the first year students towards other first year students since there all competing to get into programs?

Is there like textbook sabotage or stealing old tests... cuz I am wondering if first year general is a good idea?
Old 05-19-2008 at 02:34 AM   #12
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

I found that everyone in first year was willing to help each other out, especially among the other engineers in my residence. Even though you're all competing to get into programs you'll eventually become more concerned with your own grades instead of how high everyone else's are.

Can't say I heard of any textbook sabotage, that's a new one to me...

MacEng says thanks to Kevin S. for this post.
Old 05-19-2008 at 09:02 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

The only time people steal textbooks is if you leave them unattended in a public place. This is why you don't leave things unattended.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

MacEng says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 05-20-2008 at 01:51 PM   #14
Justin9892

Computer Science
Hey can someone tell me about mcmasters computer science program because I really like the school its just that mac has such a small comp sci department.

thanks
Old 05-22-2008 at 12:58 AM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Two friends of mine took Comp Sci and enjoyed it. One is currently in the program, and the other graduated from it. I can pass on their contact info if you'd like. Send me a private message.