MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 07-31-2008 at 11:26 PM   #166
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Wooooo kin! Where are all the Blue Boners?
Old 08-01-2008 at 11:54 AM   #167
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I <3 Science!
Old 08-03-2008 at 08:05 AM   #168
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

I am realizing that my course load is a bit too much...and to balance it out...i wanted to take inquiry...however by now the course is all FULL..does that mean i can't take it now???

:( ny other way of getting my way thru this problem...i really need this course... :(
Old 08-03-2008 at 09:06 AM   #169
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Hey there,
If you really want to take that particular course,
If it's not a requirement for your program, typically the only thing you can do is find the prof on the course timetable (find their e-mail on the mac website), talk to the prof and tell them how much you want to take the course. If the prof allows you a spot, he or she can e-mail the department office and get them to grant you a spot. However, I don't know if inquiry has a head prof. You might want to talk to the people at the science office, tell them it is your life goal to take that class or something, and perhaps they can give you some direction.

Sorry, unless someone else here has other ideas, I don't think there is much that can be done if you are trying to take an optional course that is full.

What classes are you taking? Maybe your course load isn't as heavy as you think.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008 at 09:48 AM   #170
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Term 1

BIO 1M03
CHEM 1A03
MATH 1A03
PHYSICS 1L03
PsyCH 1X03
SCIENCE 1A00

Term 2

BIO 1A03
CHEM 1AA3
COMP SCI 1FC3
ENVIRON SCI 1A03
PSCH 1XX3

ny suggestions???
Old 08-03-2008 at 11:48 AM   #171
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

I don't think it's that bad.
Science 1A00 isn't really a course, you just come to this class once and that that's it. You have ENVIRON SCI 1A03 2nd term, which I don't think is a lot of work.

I had a similar workload as you first term, and it wasn't as bad as it seemed. You certainly have to put effort into it, but it's not like I was working day and night.

You can keep checking that inquiry course if you like, maybe some people will drop it, or if you really want it you can go through the hassle of getting the exception.

At the same time, you have to realize that you are paying for those courses. If you took those courses because you enjoy them, you should definitely stick to them. If you like science you should have no absolutely no problems tackling this.
I didn't take any bird courses first year, and I am glad I didn't. It helped me get a taste of almost every future opportunity in the faculty of science. Plus the knowledge I gained from my non-bird electives definitely helped me in my thesis (I took astronomy and math 1AA3 - you learn some really cool stuff).

My advice to you is this: If you like science, stick to this. Read some course reviews, and switch only if you don't think the course will be useful.

Good luck, and take care!
Paul

ishk33 says thanks to paul for this post.
Old 08-18-2008 at 11:49 AM   #172
hello395

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Whether to apply to med school is a decision everyone should make in first year because it influences what courses you will take (most of all, physics)

If you have any more questions, i'd be glad to answer.

All the best,
Paul
If you take physics 1B03 and 1BB3 in summer school, do medical schools that require a full year of physics still consider that as having taken a full year of physics, even though you took both courses in summer school? Or do you have to take both Physics 1B03 and 1BB3 during the school year in order for medical schools to consider it a full year of physics?

Also, if you take both Physics 1B03 and 1BB3 in summer school at another university besides McMaster, will medical schools still accept that because if you do Physics 1B03 and 1BB3 in summer school at another university, you're only given a COM or NC based on what mark you receive in the course. Or do medical schools need to have a number grade?

Last edited by hello395 : 08-18-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-18-2008 at 12:56 PM   #173
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I have looked at pretty much every single medical school that accepts Canadians. Every school has different criteria. Some schools accept summer courses and some don't. Some schools require your grades for the required courses and some just want them to be completed. If you are worried about this, look up the medical schools you are interested in and check their policy on summer courses. That's the only way to know for sure.

says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 07-12-2010 at 02:26 PM   #174
schad17

Liked: 1 Time

coolio dude

gggggg says thanks to schad17 for this post.
Old 09-01-2010 at 04:21 PM   #175
jlam

Liked: 0 Times

how is biology 2f03?
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:29 PM   #176
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

Physics 4b03
Hey,
Has anyone taken PHYSICS 45B03 (Electromagnetic theory)? If so, how'd you find it overall?
I am thinking of taking it as a technical elective in my 3rd year Engineering Physics program but my schedule for this fall is already quite full. How's the workload and the overall content?
Thanks
Old 09-02-2011 at 06:03 PM   #177
mandymayx

econ 1bb3 is really really easyy. go for that
Old 09-12-2011 at 06:43 PM   #178
liY12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawngirl View Post
just a quick question,
when we are registering for our courses does SOLAR assign ALL of the labs/tutoirals or do we get to choose some of them?
If i remember correctly SOLAR assigns everything, you can then change sections later if you need