MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 06-20-2008 at 11:12 AM   #121
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

right. Whether you have trouble registering for a 2nd term course late in 1st term depends on the course. If the course has limited enrollment then you may have some trouble. However, most first year courses have plenty of spots. As both physics 1BB3 and calc 1AA3 are important prerequisites for many physics/chemistry/engineering courses, it is doubtful they will be full. You can contact them if you want to be certain.

Paul
Old 06-20-2008 at 11:48 AM   #122
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampk View Post
Oh, so there's a term deadline for Term 1 and Term 2? Term 1 is like Sept 15 this year right?

And, if i were to change my courses in mid-January, the chances of me getting into another course that i enjoy is minimal since it's already taken up -.-
Term 1 last day to drop and add course is: Monday, September 15
Term 2 last day to drop and add course is: Wednesday, January 14
Old 06-22-2008 at 11:25 PM   #123
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

if one full year of physics is required, then i could either take 1LS3 & 1BB3 OR 1BB3 & 1BA3?
Old 06-23-2008 at 12:43 AM   #124
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
if one full year of physics is required, then i could either take 1LS3 & 1BB3 OR 1BB3 & 1BA3?
Nope, in order to take 1BB3 or 1BA3, you need to take 1B03. So for the one full year of physics requirement, you'd have to take either 1L03 & 1B03 OR 1B03 & 1BB3/1BA3.

Also, 1BB3 and 1BA3 are antirequisites, meaning you can only be registered in one or the other and not both.

Old 06-23-2008 at 02:40 PM   #125
Afrisa

Liked: 0 Times

I'm back~ with my lengthy, complicated questions. : D

For admission requirements (in the course calendar, it's the list where it's like, "3 units from: Bio 1a03, 1aa3; 9 units electives, etc"), I have one where it's "3 units from Faculty of Science courses". I'm taking Bio 1a03 at the moment (summer 2nd term); will this count towards the 3 units?

Also, I took two courses in the 1st term of summer school; one was mandatory for year two, one was to be an elective for year two. Assuming I pass both of them, will they automatically count towards my Year 2 requirements?

It says for my program that only 48 units can be from Level 1. What happens if I take more than 48 units? Do they take the top grades? Do they just block me from registering for Level 1 courses?

Lastly, if I do happen to fail a course and retake it, how does the grade for that work? Do they average it? Take the highest of the two?

Thank you very much. : )
Afrisa
Old 06-23-2008 at 02:50 PM   #126
dj_money

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrisa View Post
I'm back~ with my lengthy, complicated questions. : D

For admission requirements (in the course calendar, it's the list where it's like, "3 units from: Bio 1a03, 1aa3; 9 units electives, etc"), I have one where it's "3 units from Faculty of Science courses". I'm taking Bio 1a03 at the moment (summer 2nd term); will this count towards the 3 units?
Yup, that definitely counts towards the 3 units.

Quote:
Also, I took two courses in the 1st term of summer school; one was mandatory for year two, one was to be an elective for year two. Assuming I pass both of them, will they automatically count towards my Year 2 requirements?
Yup, as long as you pass the courses, you should be fine.

Quote:
It says for my program that only 48 units can be from Level 1. What happens if I take more than 48 units? Do they take the top grades? Do they just block me from registering for Level 1 courses?
I don't think they will block you from taking any more Level I courses. But, it is important to be able to follow exactly what they are saying ( x units from x course list, etc.) , or else you will end up taking extra make-up courses (from Levels II-IV) to be able to meet the requirements of your program and graduate successfully.

Quote:
Lastly, if I do happen to fail a course and retake it, how does the grade for that work? Do they average it? Take the highest of the two?
I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to "they." Do you mean McMaster, or do you mean professional/graduate schools? If it is McMaster you are talking about, I think only the passing grade is looked at, although the failing grade is recorded on your transcript (or atleast there is some kind of indication that the course was retaken).

Good luck!

Last edited by dj_money : 06-23-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2008 at 02:56 PM   #127
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:

"For admission requirements (in the course calendar, it's the list where it's like, "3 units from: Bio 1a03, 1aa3; 9 units electives, etc"), I have one where it's "3 units from Faculty of Science courses". I'm taking Bio 1a03 at the moment (summer 2nd term); will this count towards the 3 units?"
Not sure if I have your question right: If your course calendar says you need 3 units of science electives. Bio 1A03 will count if it's not one of your requirements i.e. you can't use one course to fill a requirement and act as an elective...

Quote:
Yes, summer courses count towards your degree requirements. Otherwise they would be useless to take

Quote:
no, everything stays on your transcript. If you are failing a class, and you know you have no hope, you can drop the course before a certain deadline before it shows up on your transcript (usually about two months into the course). If you fail a class, you get no credit for it, which means you must retake it or take a different course that will meet your requirements; otherwise you won't finish your degree.
If you re-take a course, whether they are averaged depends on what you plan to do with them. For instance, after undergrad, some med schools take your latest, some average, some take your highest. Every course you finish, whether it's a retake, fail etc.. shows up on your transcript.

Hope this helps!
Paul
Old 06-23-2008 at 03:05 PM   #128
Afrisa

Thanks, dj, and Paul.

To be more specific on the first question, I'm entering 2nd Year, and one of the academic requirements amongst other 2nd year courses was the 3 units from the Faculty of Science. So would a 1st year course count towards that?
Old 06-23-2008 at 03:44 PM   #129
Tariq

Hey, im entering biochemistry next year and needed help on what electives to take next year which will help me on next year's course selection and med school applications. I'm taking summer school right now so i have four electives to choose from. i decided to take physics 1bb3(for med school) and econ 1bb3(since i already took 1b03 and found it to be interesting) and now i need help on my last 2 electives. I didn't take linear algebra last year but took both math 1a03 and 1aa3 and got sick of math. So i'm wondering if linear algebra is really that important for biochem and if i could do without it. Also, im planning to take some physiology courses 3rd year and wondered if i shud use my electives on some 2nd year physiology courses. Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2008 at 05:43 PM   #130
dj_money

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrisa View Post
Thanks, dj, and Paul.

To be more specific on the first question, I'm entering 2nd Year, and one of the academic requirements amongst other 2nd year courses was the 3 units from the Faculty of Science. So would a 1st year course count towards that?
Yep, that should be fine!
Old 06-23-2008 at 07:10 PM   #131
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq View Post
Hey, im entering biochemistry next year and needed help on what electives to take next year which will help me on next year's course selection and med school applications. I'm taking summer school right now so i have four electives to choose from. i decided to take physics 1bb3(for med school) and econ 1bb3(since i already took 1b03 and found it to be interesting) and now i need help on my last 2 electives. I didn't take linear algebra last year but took both math 1a03 and 1aa3 and got sick of math. So i'm wondering if linear algebra is really that important for biochem and if i could do without it. Also, im planning to take some physiology courses 3rd year and wondered if i shud use my electives on some 2nd year physiology courses. Any thoughts?
hey tariq. physics and econ choice is a good one. econ is an easier elective to lightup the load. and physics, well you will need it so you have to take it anyways.
i've never taken any linear algebra course, but i don't think you would be missing out on anything for biochem. maybe just to help with your problem solving skills, etc.
if you are planning to take physiology courses, it depends which one you are taking. If you plan to take bio3u03 and bio3uu3, you need bio2a03, so you should take that this year to fulfill the prereq requirement.
You could also take kin 1y03 and 1yy3, but i'm not sure if whichever med school you are applying to will accept it. and it fills up quite fast.already full for this year.
Old 06-23-2008 at 09:30 PM   #132
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
Nope, in order to take 1BB3 or 1BA3, you need to take 1B03. So for the one full year of physics requirement, you'd have to take either 1L03 & 1B03 OR 1B03 & 1BB3/1BA3.

Also, 1BB3 and 1BA3 are antirequisites, meaning you can only be registered in one or the other and not both.
thanks!
i guess i got a little confused with course codes there...i guess i finally know what i'm gonna do for physics now. whew~

but, any comments about taking physics 1B03 in semester 2 vs. summer school?
Old 06-24-2008 at 12:23 AM   #133
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

I recently spoke to someone who took physics 1B03 during the summer and he said it wasn't as challenging as he expected. Apparently, they zip through the material rather quickly and end up skipping some of the tricker content. I'd imagine that the relative time spent on each chapter is still the same however.

Are you taking physics 1L03 and 1B03 to fulfill the full year of physics? If you are, I think taking 1B03 in semester 2 won't be so bad. I took baby physics first term last year and almost everything up to the second midterm was covered in the course, so it was pretty much review.

Old 06-24-2008 at 08:56 AM   #134
lampk

hey, i have question for the upper biochem/bio students.

i was wondering whether math 1a03 is sufficient enough for the 2nd to 4th years of bio/biochem or is math 1aa3 also required? I ask this because it doesn't say math 1aa3 is required or recommended for any of the programs, but the course title, CALCULUS FOR LIFE SCIENCE II, makes it seem important.
Old 06-24-2008 at 11:34 AM   #135
chutneyP

Liked: 5 Times

Sorry about the late response.
But your post was just amazing. Thanks for your help, I believe for the time being that I've made a decent decision doing the specialization.

thank you once again