MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 06-28-2008 at 11:04 PM   #151
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Hi Salimak,
I took the physics stream analogue: physics 1BA3, which covers the same material, but a bit more "mathy".

It is very unlikely that you will see material from physics 1BB3/1BA3 in upper year biochemistry. However, you should take it if you plan to apply for med school later on.

Paul
Old 06-29-2008 at 11:24 AM   #152
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Thanks! I am still unsure though, as other people seem to be too.. Physics isn't exaclty my strong point.
Old 06-29-2008 at 11:47 AM   #153
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Whether to apply to med school is a decision everyone should make in first year because it influences what courses you will take (most of all, physics)

If you have any more questions, i'd be glad to answer.

All the best,
Paul
Old 06-29-2008 at 06:29 PM   #154
woodlawngirl

Liked: 0 Times

hi, so im thinking of minoring in psych but i have come across a problem...
on the undergraduate calendar it says you need psych 1XO3 and 1XX3, but on the course description for 1XX3 is says

"Not open to students with credit or registration in ISCI 1A24 or students registered in the B.H.Sc. (Honours) program or the B.Sc.N. (D) Stream (Mohawk College and Connestoga site)"

and im in honours kinesiology...does this seem weird?? wont it be mostly science students who want to minor in psychology?
Old 06-29-2008 at 07:36 PM   #155
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

There is an article going to be posted on med school very soon (like...maybe tonite!).

There is also going to be a second part to it coming out soonish as well!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2008 at 07:45 PM   #156
woodlawngirl

just a quick question,
when we are registering for our courses does SOLAR assign ALL of the labs/tutoirals or do we get to choose some of them?
Old 06-29-2008 at 07:58 PM   #157
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

They are all assigned from what we can tell at the moment.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-02-2008 at 03:58 PM   #158
salimak

hey Paul, I ahve another question
I want to do biochem 2nd year, and was wondering if I should take psych 1XX3. There is a second yr neurophysiology course that looks interesting and requires it, but will I even have room for that in biochem, and would it be helpful?
Old 07-02-2008 at 05:00 PM   #159
lampk

I have a question. When I looked up Psychology 1X03 in the master timetable, there are two tutorials listed under each core. When choosing one core, do we pick both tutorials or use only one of the two available?
Old 07-02-2008 at 07:13 PM   #160
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
hey Paul, I ahve another question
I want to do biochem 2nd year, and was wondering if I should take psych 1XX3. There is a second yr neurophysiology course that looks interesting and requires it, but will I even have room for that in biochem, and would it be helpful?

Hey Salimak,
When I took psychology, I took 1A03 and 1AA3, which are the older versions of 1X03 and 1XX3. The material doesn't really help you with biochemistry, but I found the class to be very interesting. If this is something you are interested in, I would certainly suggest you take it. If you take both 1X03 and 1XX3, you will certainly have room to take more psych courses in the upper year, including your neuroscience course. For instance, the molecular biology specialization of biochemistry allows you at least two elective courses each year. if you do a few summer courses later on, you may even minor in psych. A degree in psych very valuable regardless of where you go.

You should also look into an interdisciplinary program if you are interested in psych and biochem. I don't know too much about this, but I do believe there was, or at least used to be, a program that combines biochemistry and psychology (or biology and psychology) (maybe biopsych?). For example, physics and biochemistry collaborate to make biophysics, which is an excellent program studying the physical/electrostatic properties of cells and proteins (such as cell-cell adhesion). If you are interested in bringing the best out of two programs, you can contact the office of one of the departments and ask if they do collaborations like this.

Good luck!

Paul
Old 07-02-2008 at 07:43 PM   #161
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampk View Post
I have a question. When I looked up Psychology 1X03 in the master timetable, there are two tutorials listed under each core. When choosing one core, do we pick both tutorials or use only one of the two available?

Umm, I would think it's one tutorial section. You should map out your schedule, and find out which one fits your schedule better. use this link: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/ to find out the times for each course and tutorial.

I think it's a drop-down box that allows you to pick one. If you pass verification then it's fine. If you are unsure, you can try calling office of the registrar (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /) or the psych office. I suggest the psych office because the office of registrar's hold music will you be your personal radio for a while.

Paul
Old 07-02-2008 at 09:46 PM   #162
salimak

Thanks Paul!
That helps, I just wasn't sure if it was worth switching my geography course for another psych...so I was checking out the electives for 2nd year and their prereqs.
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:20 PM   #163
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

hi..i have dis very urgent doubt rt. now...concerning solar n psychology.. i have chosen PSYCH1X03 AND PSYCH1XX3...but now while looking at the requirement i need PSYCH1AO3 OR PSYCH1AA3..n dis is for life science I so am i in a mess...??...n do i need to switch both the courses?...i was told by friends dat PSYCH1XX3 gives the start in psych..since i haven't taken this course before..or know anything bout it!...please help!!
P.S I have 30 units presently in solar but i can get rid of these 2 psychologies n physics1LO3
please i need some good advice!!..n thanks in advance

Last edited by Minnie : 07-05-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:40 PM   #164
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Psychology 1A03 and 1AA3 have changed course codes to Psych 1X03 and 1XX3. I'm sure they just didn't update their requirements.

if you want to be sure, call the departmental office.

Paul
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:41 PM   #165
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Hey Minnie,

Because of the level I science change, Psych 1A03 = Psych 1XX3 and Psych 1AA3 = Psych 1X03. You might have been looking at the old undergraduate calendar, since only 1XX3 and 1X03 are offered.

...paul beat me to it :p

Richa all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.