MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 06-18-2008 at 09:46 PM   #106
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Or, if your marks were close enough, you could always try just emailing the prof and asking for permission!
Old 06-19-2008 at 01:00 PM   #107
lampk

Liked: 0 Times

hello, im in grade 12 and next year im coming to mac for life science I

i applied to mac for honours biochemistry, and i realize that you dont actually pick your program until second year, and that the majority of courses u pick in your first year overlap for all the programs for the second year.

so my question is since i applied to honours biochem, can i head towards honours bio instead in my second year? (because first year courses are so similar) or am i stuck with honours biochem and cant change pathways?
Old 06-19-2008 at 01:31 PM   #108
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Yes, you can switch to honours bio instead- as long as you have the prerequisites. You aren't officially in one or the other until you declare your major at the end of first year, at which time you can declare as Bio instead of biochem

Also, it is possible to switch your major at any time (again, as long as you have/ can take the prerequisites) - I know several people who have done just that. However, I am not sure of the exact procedure - I believe it involves talking to the dean, but there are lots of other students you can ask, as well as academic counsellors, who deal with this kind of thing all the time

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------

Last edited by Cubit : 06-19-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2008 at 01:34 PM   #109
lampk

thanks, that clears up a lot of issues that i've been facing with trying to set up my timetable for next year

another question that i have is, seeing as how they physics 1B03 is required in your first year, and then physics 1BB3 is "strongly recommended" - just how much does physics resurface in the upper years of the biology/biochem programs?
Old 06-19-2008 at 09:57 PM   #110
paul
MacInsiders Staff

physics? very minimal; not nearly as much as chemistry. However you may need it for some medical schools, as they require one full year of physics, so please consider what it is you want to do.

If you decide to take physics 1BB3, i would strongly recommend physics 1BA3. The latter is designed for physics majors, and looks to be a lot harder than physics 1BB3. In my opinion, physics 1BA3 is a lot cooler because at the end you touch on modern physics such as nuclear physics and quantum mechanics. You get to work with the Schroedinger's equations, and do really cool stuff when working with wave functions (electron density maps). The class is also small - maybe 40 people as opposed to 300, and the prof is sooo much better.

If you somewhat enjoy math take physics 1BA3. If you couldn't care less, just want the damned credit, take 1BB3.

In terms of switching from biochem to bio: If you liked biology 1AA3..switch to bio. If you hated it, hated the way it was set up, hated the way it was marked, found the classes to be boring, and tests are unfair, stay in biochem for the sake of your hair.

Last edited by paul : 06-19-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2008 at 10:34 PM   #111
lampk

im only taking physics 1bb3 because its strongly recommended for the program, other wise i wouldn't touch physics at all. but thanks for ur help, much appreciated
Old 06-19-2008 at 10:49 PM   #112
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
In terms of switching from biochem to bio: If you liked biology 1AA3..switch to bio. If you hated it, hated the way it was set up, hated the way it was marked, found the classes to be boring, and tests are unfair, stay in biochem for the sake of your hair.
Quite possibly the quote of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampk
im only taking physics 1bb3 because its strongly recommended for the program, other wise i wouldn't touch physics at all
Don't bother taking it. From what current biochem students have told me in terms of assumed knowledge, students who didn't take physics 1BB3 are not at a disadvantage to those who did take it.

Old 06-19-2008 at 11:35 PM   #113
paul
MacInsiders Staff

sweet kenneth, you're a fellow biochemmer!
Old 06-20-2008 at 08:50 AM   #114
lampk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post

Don't bother taking it. From what current biochem students have told me in terms of assumed knowledge, students who didn't take physics 1BB3 are not at a disadvantage to those who did take it.
Hmm, i see what you're saying but seeing as how they're revamping the Science Programs this year, that might change right?

Was 1bb3 always strongly recommended for biochem and bio for those who took it in the previous years or has it just started this year?
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:05 AM   #115
paul
MacInsiders Staff

I can't remember if it was strongly recommended. Once you enter the program, they can't really change the requirements on you and make you take physics.
I'm a 4rth year biochemistry student, and I can't say i've been calculating wave functions and electrostatic forces on a non-linearly charged rod in an electric field. Nonetheless, I think that some math skills that you will take away with you can be quite valuable. I.e. you learn how to derive formulas, analyze complex functions in a physical sense. It makes sense of the math you learn and teaches you to make it practical. I guess these sort of things can help in areas in biochemisty requiring math, but they are not necessary. I'm sure you can pick this stuff up eventually.
I would also like to point out that your organic chemistry courses will go into most physics details that you'll need. Therefore, if you can't stand physics, feel that it would greatly drop your mark, feel that that you won't enjoy it in the slightest bit, and don't see yourself applying to medical school, then don't take it.
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:21 AM   #116
lampk

Alright, thanks for your reply.

I have another question, um, seeing as how Math 1A03 is required for first year, but 1AA3 is not, should I still take it? Like, is 1A03 good enough for all my years in biochem or is 1AA3 also important?
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:28 AM   #117
paul
MacInsiders Staff

no problem.
Take Math 1AA3 only if you like math. It is unlikely you will use any information you gain from it. Even if you need to use something in the distant future, you'll probably have to go back and relearn it. It mostly consists of doing complex integration, differential equations, and various kinds of series. This course is usually taken in conjunction with physics because you use some of this information in physics 1BA3 (although it's not required, but helps a bit).
Either way, the course was more fun and challenging than math 1A03. I would recommend it to those who enjoy math and didn't struggle too much with Calc 1A03. If you are interested, you can take it and switch it at the end of first term if you really hated calc 1A03.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:42 AM   #118
lampk

Paul, what do you mean by switch it at the end of first term? Do you mean you're allowed to drop courses for 2nd term before 2nd term starts?
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:48 AM   #119
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Yes, you can go on SOLAR, and switch courses any time before the term deadline. The deadline for changing 2nd term courses in somewhere in mid January.
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:53 AM   #120
lampk

Oh, so there's a term deadline for Term 1 and Term 2? Term 1 is like Sept 15 this year right?

And, if i were to change my courses in mid-January, the chances of me getting into another course that i enjoy is minimal since it's already taken up -.-