MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 05-25-2008 at 11:14 AM   #76
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

LAAB COATS THEY NEVER GET DIRTY
THE LONGER YOU WEAR THEM,
THE STRONGER THEY GET!

Sometimes I think I should wash mine,
But something keeps telling me,
no no not yet not yet not yet not yet!!!
Old 06-03-2008 at 05:08 PM   #77
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

We're Hot, We're Hot,
We're exothermic Hot!

We're Cool We're Cool
We're cryogenic Cool
Old 06-03-2008 at 08:53 PM   #78
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Oh I love Science! <3
Old 06-07-2008 at 10:10 PM   #79
Afrisa

Liked: 0 Times

Quick question (sort of..),
In the Undergrad Calendar, I was looking at what courses I'm requried to take as the years go by. One of the requirements is "3 units from Faculty of Science courses". Does this mean any courses under any program, as long as it's under the Faculty of Science? For instance, I'm in Psychology, so would taking a course under Geoscience count (as long as all prerequisites are met)? If I took say, 3 science courses, would one count towards this "3 units from Faculty of Science courses" requirement, and the other two, my electives?

...Or is there a nifty list I overlooked somewhere with all the Faculty of Science courses laid out? : D
Old 06-07-2008 at 10:26 PM   #80
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

It should just mean any course under any of the faculty of science programs.. so yes that means a geoscience would count
Old 06-08-2008 at 06:51 PM   #81
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrisa View Post
...Or is there a nifty list I overlooked somewhere with all the Faculty of Science courses laid out? : D
Yep =]

Life Sciences Course List
Physical Sciences Course List
Environmental and Earth Sciences Course List

Old 06-09-2008 at 08:07 PM   #82
Afrisa

Thanks temara!

kenneth,
Do those three put together equal the one huge "Faculty of Science course" list?
I found where I originally saw the term: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_612.htm
If you look under Level II, "3 units from Faculty of Science courses", with no link.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:30 PM   #83
kenneth526
Elite Member

Those equal all the level 1 Science courses. But like Tamara said, any course administered by any Department in the Faculty of Science (see the list here) counts as a Faculty of Science course.

edit :: alternatively, you count search the master timetable and filter only Faculty of Science courses to get the full list.

Last edited by kenneth526 : 06-09-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2008 at 10:51 PM   #84
Afrisa

Ah, ok. Thanks very much!
Old 06-13-2008 at 10:56 AM   #85
chutneyP

Liked: 5 Times

hey kenneth I see that you're in Biochem. I just got into it for next year, wondering how it is, and wondering if I should do a specialization or not. I heard its more difficult to do one. How are the class sizes and work load? is the 4 hour lab every week as bad as it sounds?
Can you help me make my decision?
Old 06-13-2008 at 11:11 AM   #86
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutneyP View Post
hey kenneth I see that you're in Biochem. I just got into it for next year, wondering how it is, and wondering if I should do a specialization or not. I heard its more difficult to do one. How are the class sizes and work load? is the 4 hour lab every week as bad as it sounds?
hey chutney. I just finished year II of biochem, so I can try and answer some of your questions. I remember trying to decide if I wanted to do the specialization or not. I remember speaking with the advisor and this is kinda of what she said:
The specialization is much more prescribed and you have fewer options for electives compared with the core program. The specialization also incorporates more laboratory work and research experience with Biochemistry 3P03 and then a thesis course in your final year. If you are considering graduate studies, the specialization is the best preparation. This would also give you more laboratory/research experience if you are considering getting a job in academic research or in industry when you graduate.

If you are in specialization you can do the thesis projects. where as in core, you ca ndo th eproject, even thought there are some exceptions to being able to do the thesis (depending on your grades, etc). The same career opportunities are open to you from either avenue, but you would be better trained and more competitive with your experience in the specialization.

I'm not sure which speicialization you are considering. If it is molecular biology one (which was the one i was in). The year II requirements are the same with core, so if you are unsure, pick the specialization. Then get more time to feel out how year II biochem is, if you realize you liek the research and want to go to graduate school you can stay, if not, then you can go and drop out to core. Going from specialization to core is easier. If you pick core now and want to go to specialization, it is harder becuase there is limited spaces.

The class size is a good size. There is enough of biochem students, but not too many, that you do generally know everyone in your program. If not, you recognize everyone. The workload is not that bad.

The four hour lab for Biochem 2L06 does not last 4 hours every week. Sometimes you finish in 2 1/2 hours. sometimes 3 hours. Throughout the entire year, I think there were only 3 times that I had to stay for the 4 hours. So its not that bad. The labs actually have alot of waiting time. So you aren't actually all the time. During that time, you can work on your lab report that week or just bring notes in to read. You do alot of gels and chromatography that requires lots of waiting time. That lab class was my favourite class. You get a lab partner and you work with them for the entire year. Dr. Willems is awesome!! I like him alot. haha. even though some people didn't ike him as much. He listens to you and when you ask him a question, he tries to make you think of hte answer yourself and gives you questions that leads you to the answer. Which is important to be able to think on your own. I loved the labs. cuase you work on a project for each term, it feels more purposeful than regular labs in first year.

This was a long post, but I hope it helped! I went through the same trouble too. so i want to be able to give you all the information I had. Hope it helps, and if you have any more questions, post and i'll try and answer.
Old 06-13-2008 at 06:34 PM   #87
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutneyP View Post
Hey, I actually just got into biochem (molecular bio specialization) for next year as well, so I'm actually in the same boat as you. Eva's post was really detailed, she even answered some questions I was wondering about =P

Old 06-13-2008 at 06:59 PM   #88
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

I am glad it helped. I decide to just wrote more and everything i wanted to tell everyone. This way, you can get all the answers faster and make your appropriate decisions sooner. Cause registration for some people are getting closer and closer!! ask me anything else you may have questions about. However, I'm actually adding alot of course review to the review section now. So check it out if you want to know more about the biochem courses for second year. I try to make those very detailed too. glad i helped. hope it wasn't a boring read.
Old 06-14-2008 at 11:06 AM   #89
lgraham

Hi, I have a question about the new prerequisites for 2008-2009. I am going into the Physical Sciences program, and I have most of my courses picked out and scheduled, but there is a small problem. To take "BIOLOGY 1A03 CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY", which I feel may help me in Chemistry studies later on, and which fills my last 3 units of physical sciences courses, there is a new prerequisite:

Prerequisite (beginning 2008-2009): BIOLOGY 1M03 and registration in any Level I program in the Faculty of Science, Arts & Science I, Honours Kinesiology I, Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering or Electrical and Biomedical Engineering; or registration in Medical Radiation Sciences I; and credit or registration in SCIENCE 1A00

I do not want to take 1M03, nor do I have the space for it... does that seriously mean I can't take 1A03? I didn't think biodiversity and molecular biology were all that necessary to study in tandem.
Old 06-14-2008 at 11:23 AM   #90
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If that's the prerequisite for the program, then yes. They implement them for a reason.

However, you may be able to contact the professor and ask them if you can be admitted into 1A03...it's a stretch though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement