MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 02-24-2008 at 11:09 AM   #46
woodlawngirl

Liked: 0 Times

does anyone know how many students are accepted into the kinesiology program each year? thanks!
Old 02-24-2008 at 11:34 AM   #47
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Aren't there books on that sort of thing?

I recall when I was applying to universities all of the schools and their programs had the number of students who applied the previous year, and the number who got in. It was some sort of book, and I'm pretty sure it was associated with the OUAC.

Anyways...I did some hunting on the OUAC website:

Apparently as of February 7th 30 000 high school students applied to Mac, 6250 were awarded their first choice and 6465 awarded their second choice. Look at the chart here.

According to CUDO (COMMON UNIVERSITY DATA ONTARIO) the 2006 data for acceptance into Kin was 373, but only 262 registered at Mac. You can look at this link, click on McMaster and then you can check out the file or the PDF. The PDF says in 2006 there were a total of 756 full time Kin students in all years. Unfortunately the data doesn't translate the numbers from this academic year, when applications were higher than the past three years.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-04-2008 at 08:55 PM   #48

Mac Life Sci
hi,
i'm considering mac for next year... the life sci program and i was wondering if someone could help me out? ok, uhm i was wondering what are the average class sizes for first and second year? and also, if second year is like a lot harder than first year? thx

matt
Old 04-04-2008 at 09:07 PM   #49
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Unfortunately they've changed science for this upcoming year, so we can't give a real indication of class sizes. Previously, everyone entered into Science I. Now, you're in your specific disiplines, such as Life Sci I, Physics I etc. Your classes are supposed to be only with people of your disipline, as the specific courses (bio, chem, calc) are apparently going to be catered to that specific degree.

The max size for any first year class (regardless of faculty) is about 400. If you have tutorials or labs, your classes can be as small as 20.

I found second year much more challenging academically, but I'm not in Science, so it may be a bit different.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-04-2008 at 10:01 PM   #50

thanks so much!
matt
Old 04-05-2008 at 10:58 PM   #51
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Thanks for being a part of our community here at MacInsiders Matt and woodlawngirl! Welcome!

For woodlawngirl, a bit of info on the Kin program that was on the Registrar's website:

Quote:
McMaster's Kinesiology program just got better! Beginning in September 2008, our direct-entry Level I program will be part of the Faculty of Science, in recognition of our strong science-based curriculum. We will continue to offer two degree programs beyond Level I, an Honours Bachelor of Science Kinesiology through the Faculty of Science and an Honours Bachelor of Kinesiology through the Faculty of Social Sciences.

You may have noticed that the Honours Bachelor of Science degree has been renamed the Honours Bachelor of Science Kinesiology. This new degree name is a testament to the strength and recognition of our faculty and their research in the world of science.

By the end of Level II, our students have been introduced to many areas of Kinesiology and may, if they choose, continue to concentrate their third and fourth year studies in one or two of these sub-disciplines or continue to select courses which span the breadth of Kinesiology. Additionally, the wide selection of third and fourth year courses caters to our students’= diverse career interests. The popular areas of study include:

• biomechanics and ergonomics
• physical activity and special needs populations
• exercise physiology
• health, exercise and lifestyle counseling
• injuries and rehabilitation
• teaching and recreational leadership.

Upon graduation, McMaster Kinesiology students continue their education at the Masters level and in professional schools. Examples include:
Grad programs in:
    • Exercise Physiology
    • Nutrition
    • Motor Learning, and Biomechanics
    • Medical School
    • Physiotherapy
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Dentistry
Old 04-05-2008 at 11:06 PM   #52
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Some info for you on KIN 1A06. Responses from the course evaluation, looks like this course is a good one. And the enrolment was around 200-250 if you look back the past 3 yrs.

Date of Evaluation: April 2007
Enrolled: 257
KINESIOL 1A06 - C01

Very poor 0.0%
Poor 0.0%
Acceptable 1.3%
Good 9.2%
Very good 24.3%
Excellent 57.9%

152 questionnaires completed; 11 students did not respond to this question
Mean of responses: 9.44 Standard Deviation: 0.92 Median: 10.00

April 2006
Enrolled: 215

December 2005
Enrolled: 250
Old 04-07-2008 at 01:50 PM   #53
woodlawngirl

thanks chad! I'm really excited about kinesiology, and I'm officially coming to mac next year! I'm soooooo excited, and I've only heard great things about mcmaster. September seems so far away right now :(
Old 04-07-2008 at 01:56 PM   #54
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Great to hear that woodlawngirl! September may seem far away, but summer will creep up on you and soon it'll be time to prepare for university. Enjoy your relaxation months while you can

And be sure to stop by our MacInsiders table during Clubsfest and introduce yourself!
Old 04-12-2008 at 10:10 AM   #55
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Science!!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY SCIEEEEEENNNNCCEEEEE. . that is all.
Old 04-12-2008 at 05:47 PM   #56
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Kin is awesome, everyone loves it. I think you will definitely enjoy it. You'll have to decide on your electives too. I recommend psychology. Kin with a Psych major looks very impressive.

Paul

Last edited by paul : 04-12-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2008 at 12:22 PM   #57
woodlawngirl

awsome, thanks guys!
Old 05-03-2008 at 10:31 PM   #58
Chala

Environmental Science?
Hey
Does anyone know how big the environmental sciences program is at Mac? I'm so worried bcuz there doesn't seem to be many people going into that program this year. I'm trying to choose between Knowledge Integration at Waterloo and Environmental sciences at Mac, but it's difficult. honestly, i like mac for it's beautiful setting. It seems to have a connection with me, lolz
But i feel like this program is gonna be very small....I don't wanna be the only one! everyone seems to be into life sciences.
Please write me soon on any ideas/comments you may have!
thanx, i'd totally appreciate it!
Chalani
Old 05-03-2008 at 11:06 PM   #59
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

The best way to find others in your program and see what it's all about is to attend May @ Mac, which takes place next Saturday. Come down to Mac, tell them what you're going to be taking in first year, and they'll help you to find others in the same program and give you a tour around. The more people you meet taking the same classes, the more comfortable you'll feel taking the program. Also remember, small classes (if they are small) can be in your advantage. I'm taking Multimedia at Mac, and the class sizes are very small (15-25). A lot of one-on-one time with the prof and more personalized, hands-on instruction compared to larger classes of 50-200.
Old 05-03-2008 at 11:55 PM   #60
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Mac's enviro sci program is supposed to be quite good. A buddy of mine finished his B.Sc at Mac, and is now finishing his M.Sc at University of Calgary.

He's had some sweet course-related jobs each summer and got published a few times as an undergrad, which is quite a big feat...