MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 08-19-2007 at 04:29 PM   #31
Sarah A.
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amara View Post
hey for the drop in tutorial for chemistry, r u suposed to go everyday , or is going once a week enough?
how iimportant is it?
Hi Amara,

The drop in tutorial for chemistry is completely optional. Everyday would be excessive because I think the TAs cover the same material for the entire week and then switch to new topics the following week. I guess you could go every week if you wanted to. It's completely optional - and to tell you the truth, I never went to one at all! If you have questions, I'd recommend going to the prof instead.
Old 08-19-2007 at 07:28 PM   #32
Amara

Liked: 0 Times

thanks sarah!
Old 08-28-2007 at 10:12 AM   #33
Amara

hey you guys,
i recieved an email from mac , saying that all students need to drop science 1b00 , as it is no longer required..
so it wont effect anything rite?
Old 08-28-2007 at 12:46 PM   #34
Sarah A.
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1 Time

Hi Amara,

No, Science 1B00 has almost nothing to do with your actual classes. If I recall, it was just an online course that helped you get familiar with the campus. Needless to say, it was useless. If you received an email from Mac saying to drop it, it definitely won't impact anything. Just make sure you go to the Science 1A00 class though! WHMIS training is mandatory to get into the labs.
Old 08-28-2007 at 10:35 PM   #35
david_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah A. View Post
Hi Amara,

No, Science 1B00 has almost nothing to do with your actual classes. If I recall, it was just an online course that helped you get familiar with the campus. Needless to say, it was useless. If you received an email from Mac saying to drop it, it definitely won't impact anything. Just make sure you go to the Science 1A00 class though! WHMIS training is mandatory to get into the labs.
When is the Science 1A00 class happening?
Old 08-30-2007 at 11:37 AM   #36
Sneha

This link lists all the available sessions that you can go to for Science 1A00:

http://www.workingatmcmaster .ca/li...-lA00-Schedule

Last edited by Sneha : 08-30-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2007 at 09:58 AM   #37
Afrisa

Does anyone know where we find out if we actually passed Sci 1A00 and got the credit?

Thanks. ^^
Old 09-27-2007 at 05:34 PM   #38
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You don't get a credit for it, which is why there is a zero at the end of the course code.

And I assume if you passed it you're allowed to do labs, if I understand Science's system correctly.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-29-2007 at 11:40 AM   #39
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it, I haven't heard of anyone failing it.
It will show up on your transcript. But yea, Danielle is right, they wouldn't be allowing you into the labs if you failed it.

Paul
Old 12-29-2007 at 03:26 PM   #40
Afrisa

Quick question; do we have to take courses from areas outside our major/faculty in order for it to be considered an elective?
For instance, if someone's in 3rd year psych, can they take more than the required psych courses as electives?

Thanks. :]
Old 12-29-2007 at 04:04 PM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It depends on your specific program.

Some faculties don't care where you get your electives from, others do, it depends on your specific degree too.

For example, I just checked out psych B.sc. (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...7/sec_616.htm), and it says 15 units of electives, and does not specify from where.

The way I see it, you have your required courses. Then you have the pick three out of the list of x courses from the course list. I see these as being equivalent to in-degree electives. Then lastly, your elective-electives, which you are free to pick from wherever.

Does that help?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-23-2008 at 09:17 PM   #42
woodlawngirl

hi im in the process of making my decision about where to go next year and i was wondering if someone could tell me about the kinesiology program. i have been accepted to the program at queens and western but as far as im awaare i wont here anything back from mac untill mid march...? the kin program here sounds awsome and seems to have a pretty good rep so i was hoping someone could confirm my suspisions ahaha. thanks!
Old 02-23-2008 at 09:40 PM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Hey woodlawngirl,

Unfortunately I'm not in Kin so I can't answer your questions specifically.

But I can tell you that I know quite a few people who are or were (and have since graduated) from Kin at McMaster, and really loved the program. A lot of them were very involved, participating in the Kinesiology games (an inter-university competition), as well as being a Blue Suit (what the Kinesiology Welcome Week [Frosh Week] Reps are called), or played varsity sports. So far, I have not met anyone who is, or was in Kin at Mac and didn't enjoy the experience.

Typically, yes, Mac doesn't send out their admission letters until sometime in March.

However, during your March Break, I highly suggest that you come to Mac (or any of the other prospective schools on your list) and talk to people here. Mac usually does a bunch of stuff during March Break for prospective students such as yourselves. You can talk to current students, and professors from the program who can answer your specific questions more directly. Also, there will be other information about the services at McMaster (such as the 250+ clubs we have, the First Year Experience Office, student services, the different residences, and other stuff I'm forgetting right now) available for you to check out.

In the past, McMaster has offered an info day in May, which I also highly suggest you go to (assuming it's offered this year, that is). It was because of May at Mac that I made my decision to come here.

Thanks for checking our site out too, by the way!

Cheers,
Danielle

Old 02-23-2008 at 09:47 PM   #44
woodlawngirl

thanks danielle,
i would absolutely love to come and visit on march break but considering that i live in nova scotia and am going to be sitting on a nice warm beach in the dominican i dont think i will be able to make it, lol! and by the way i think that this site is absolutely AMAZING ive been doing research on universities and programs now for a while now and i love this site, you guys are doing a great job! i am really excited for next year, and am really thinking about coming to mac, i guess now all i have to do is get accepted.
Old 02-23-2008 at 10:05 PM   #45
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Psh. Complications. Naw, I could see why you wouldn't be able to check Mac out then.

Aaaand just for your information, there is a club at Mac specifically for out of province students: MOOPS (McMaster Out of Province Society). MOOPS is just fun to say. Do it. Anywhoo, there is more info about their club here: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/clubs/listings.php?clubid=7 . The club was just ratified (ie allowed to come into existence) this past September, so they're still ironing out some kinks, but have planned a few events so far this year.

And little tidbit: if you got into Queens and Western, you should get into Mac. Apparently McMaster makes you wait longer than most schools...they were the second-last school to send me my letter of acceptence. But...best of luck nevertheless!

And thanks for the kind words!! If you know of anyone thinking about coming to Mac please send them out way (well, to our URL at least).