MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc) Chad Academics 177 09-12-2011 06:43 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM

Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc)

Old 06-20-2008 at 07:48 PM   #46
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I have taken neither.

However, if you are interested in helping others, I would suggest Social Work 1A06 so you can possibly apply to the B.S.W. program at the end of your first year.

Thats actually what I plan on doing! But they said you could take Social Work OR Sociology in your first year, so i'm trying to decide which one to take. I heard the prof for Social Work 1A06 isn't great, and the course is boring. But then i heard the profs for Sociology 1A06 is really good and the course is fun! sooo.... I just dont know!
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:41 PM   #47
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Is there space in your time table to take both?

If not, I would suggest taking Social Work anyway...its possible that some of what you will need to know for the placement test will be in that course!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-21-2008 at 10:05 AM   #48
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

There were like 3 or 4 sociology profs this year, so I don't know which one you heard was "great" because I know for a fact that some were bad. I actually heard they're revamping Sociology 1A06 for this year. Just a head's up, not that matters, especially if you need to take it anyways.
Old 06-21-2008
kaitlin
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-21-2008
kaitlin
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-21-2008 at 03:48 PM   #49
kaitlin

Liked: 0 Times

I have taken both courses and really enjoyed both of them. Social Work 1A06 was taught by Sandra Preston. She is a good lecturer and at the beginning of each topic we would have a guest speaker and watch a Hollywood movie that related to the topic. There was 2 exams and 3 assignments that consisted of journal entries. Some of the journals required a lot of work but most did not. I know a lot of people didn't enjoy the class as they found it boring but I found the topics interesting and relevant to my life and the world.
Sociology 1A06 was good too. The material was interesting it covered a lot of topics. My prof was Behnke-Cook she is really funny and interesting lecturer. Her exams are fair you will do well if you read the textbook and look at the lecture notes which for her class came straight from the textbook. There was only 1 essay as well.
Both courses to me are a good choice, so whichever you feel more inclined to take I would
Old 06-24-2008 at 03:18 PM   #50
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_batt View Post
I need to take either social work 1A06 or Sociology 1A06 next year. I was wondering if anyone who has taken either of these courses could tell me what they thought of them and if they would recommend them (I need to decide which one to take and I have no idea!) thanks!
If you want to enjoy yourslef and have a realtively easy course load, take Sociology. I took Social Work with Sandra Preston, whom is likely to be the prof again, and everyone disliked her overly feminist and negative attitude. She also promised to make the assignments more complex, which she gave vague descriptions of before.

Your assignments are 3 journals to be submitted at 3 different dates.

Each Journal will include 3-5 mini assignments of 1000 word length. The big problem is its easy to procrastinate since these are all due on one day collectively.

The movies and exam (all m/c and t/f) were fun, but she and the expectations just weren't realistic.

Sociology I have not taken, but have numerous friends that have, take it, it's your best option.

Best of luck!
Old 06-24-2008 at 09:44 PM   #51
megzx89

I was wondering if anyone knows how someone like myself, who is going into 2nd year, could contact an advisor to kinda help with course selection. I'm a bit confused as to what I have to take.

Also, if it says your accepted into Honours ______ & ______, does that mean you're doing an honours degree in the first one and just a regular BA in the second one? Or does it mean you need to do course selection for honours __ AND honours ____?

And can someone tell me if it's possible to do a double major, but one is honours BA and one is just a regular BA? Or do I have to do the honours BA and a minor?

I know it sounds a little confusing but if anyone can understand me and knows the answer, I'd really appreciate a response.

Thanks!

Last edited by megzx89 : 06-24-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:13 PM   #52
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

In the course calendar, you will find the 'combined Honours' option for each of your degrees.

It won't work out exactly, because of scheduling and whatnot, but try and take half of each of your degree requirements in each year. Save your electives until your last year when you are doing your seminars (they're brutal!!).

I will show you using CSCT and Anthro which is what I have an HBA in:

CSCT
Admission
Completion of any Level I program and a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0 including an average of at least 7.0 in six units from CSCT 1B03, 1BB3, ENGLISH 1A03, 1AA3, 1B03, 1BB3, 1C06.
Notes
1.When registering, students should distribute their required Cultural Studies and Critical Theory courses (see Requirements below) as follows:
oLevel II 12 units of Levels II and/or III Cultural Studies and Critical Theory
oLevel III 12 units of Levels II and/or III Cultural Studies and Critical Theory
oLevel IV six units of Levels II and/or III Cultural Studies and Critical Theory; six units of Level IV Cultural Studies and Critical Theory seminars (No student may take more than six units of Level IV seminars.)

CORE COURSE LIST
CSCT 2M03, 2MM3, 2P03, 2S03, 3A03, 3AA3, 3CC3, 3Q03, 3QQ3, 3R06
Requirements
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which 48 units may be Level I
30 units
from the Level I program completed prior to admission into the program
24 units
from Core Course List
6 units
Levels II or III Cultural Studies and Critical Theory
6 units
Level IV Cultural Studies and Critical Theory seminars
36 units
Courses specified for the other subject. (Combinations with Social Sciences may require more than 36 units.)
18 units
Electives to tota 120 units

ANTHRO
Admission
Completion of any Level I program with a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0 including an average of at least 7.0 in six units from ANTHROP 1A03, 1B03, 1Z03. Satisfaction of admission requirements for the Honours program in the other B.A. subject.
Note
Subject to meeting admission requirements, students may combine two subjects and be graduated with a combined honours B.A. degree. These combinations are available within the Faculty, with programs in the Faculty of Humanities and with the Arts and Science Program.
Requirements
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which 48 units may be Level I
30 units
from the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program. (See Admission above.)
12 units
ANTHROP 2E03, 2F03, 2PA3, 3L03
3 units
from ANTHROP 2D03, 2DD3, 2FF3, 2Z03, 3H03, 3K03, 3P03
3 units
ANTHROP 4I03
3 units
Level IV Anthropology
15 units
Levels II, III or IV Anthropology
36 units
courses specified for the other subject
3 units
from SOC SCI 2J03 or STATS 1CC3* or in combined programs within the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Research Methods/Statistics requirement specified for the other subject.
15 units
Electives. If not completed in Level I, a minimum of six units must be from the Faculty of Humanities and/or the Department of Religious Studies. Students combining Anthropology with Arts and Science, or with a Humanities subject, are exempt from this requirement.

But yes, you can call your faculty office and ask for help if you'd like...but you may only be able to come see them rather than get help over the phone...I don't really know.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-24-2008 at 10:15 PM   #53
megzx89

But what if I don't want to do a combined honours? I personally got accepted to honours socio, but didnt fulfill the requirements to do honours psych as well.

Can't I just double major, doing one major in honours socio and one major in psych?

Or can I only do honours socio and a minor in psych?
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:16 PM   #54
megzx89

Oh and does a regular BA in communications exist, or a minor? Because I can't see it in the course calendar? Does that means you can only do honours or combined honours in communications?
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:23 PM   #55
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You can only do a double major in an Honours program. You can't otherwise. So if you are interested in Psych you'd have to minor in it if you want it to "count" for anything.

Communications can be done as an Honours or Combined Honours program.

Old 06-24-2008 at 10:24 PM   #56
megzx89

But communications can't be done as a minor? That's weird, isn't it?
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:27 PM   #57
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope, apparently not. Multimedia can't either...and they're quite often done in conjunction...so maybe that's why?

Old 06-24-2008 at 10:29 PM   #58
megzx89

That's frustrating. Especially the fact that I can't do HBA socio and BA psych. That would have been better for me. Would you recommend doing HBA socio and minor in psych? Or should I just stick with the HBA in socio?