MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Lame (but innocent) questions from a 1st Year AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2010 04:06 PM
Lame!!!!! Chambini First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-29-2010 08:59 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM

Faculty Wars: Lame!

Old 08-20-2008 at 08:09 AM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I've never taken psychology before. I also hear people saying it's easy stuff. But honestly, how easy can it be to study the mind? It's so complicated... At least to me it is.
I agree with kokosas. And also, it really depends on the teacher they had. I remember when I was taking an exercise science class once, and it was ridiculously easy to me even though I hated science by that time, I even loved the class and got the highest mark. But, my teacher was understanding, patient and taught well and wasn't so difficult. Whereas, the teacher before her failed like half the class.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-20-2008 at 08:40 AM   #16
Tleilaxu
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 10 Times
I think in many ways faculty wars can be fun or lame. It really depends in which manner which the students behave. For instance if the students in one faculty challenge another set of students in another faculty in...foosball then it can be fun and exciting (yet foosball can be exciting) but when one student in one faculty goes out of their way to insult another student in another faculty then it just becomes sad and ignorant. What does a Science major know about an English major (and vice versa), What does a Music Major know about an Economics Major (and vice versa)? NOT A WHOLE LOT. Sure you might know a few things taking electives here and there and talking to friends you might have at other Universities or even at Mac, you still dont know everything the other is going through and still do not know the stresses and hardships of the other. To say that one faculty has it easier than the other is ridiculous and whats even more ridiculous is to think that a University would put money and effort to creating a Major so that you can graduate with a degree that'll make you a spatula flipper or bum? That doesn't even make sense. The world needs people in every profession and people follow what they like and what theyll keep doing because its their passion. Dont be stupid about it and bring them down because you cant do what they do or dont like what they do, because in the end if you insult someone, you just bring yourself down and make your faculty look weak -- the exact thing you were trying NOT to do. So be cool, and if you want to have a foosball match or a...starting contest with your buddy in engineering..go for it but dont start insulting people because you have some biased opinion
Old 08-20-2008 at 01:51 PM   #17
casey.park
SRA Member
SRA Member
Program: Health Sciences
Year: Alumni

Liked: 28 Times
Bloody hell. That was unfortunate for the Pathogen to say that and it only detracts from BHSc's already somewhat tarnished and pretentious image on campus. I'm certain this year's bunch will keep comments positive.

Great article, Danielle.
Old 08-20-2008 at 02:22 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Hahaha.

I thought about threatening you in the article so the same behaviour wouldn't occur this year Casey...but since you weren't the problem, the threat would have been ineffective. But I hope you control your reps with an iron fist never the less.

Diddle.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-20-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2008 at 09:54 AM   #19
katie_batt
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Year: Second
Residence: Les Prince

Liked: 9 Times
thanks for writing this article! that was something that definately needed to be addressed. its one thing to take pride in your school and your faculty, but its quite another to be snobby and put others down! I like that you mentioned Med school in there. I want to go to med school and I'm in Social Sci. I was origionally going into Science, but it was actually my doctor (who just finished her final year of med school at mac in 2007) who told me I should make sure that I dont just go into science because I think I will have an advantage. She got an arts degree and then went to med school. So there is hope! lol
Old 08-22-2008 at 11:55 PM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Yup. And there are two links in the text of the article that talk about the med school application and what you actually do too, if you haven't read them yet.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-27-2008 at 11:07 PM   #21
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User
Program: Software Engineering
Year: First

Liked: 1 Time
Danielle hits bullseye. In my High School we had more failures in Languages & Social Sciences than we did in Sciences & Math.....Just look at the Engineering WEBCT and you'll see how articulate the language there is...
Old 10-28-2008 at 09:39 AM   #22
Maegs
Elite Member
Program: History and Cultural Studies

Liked: 26 Times
when people say that humanities degree = flipping burgers, i tell them about my cousin who got a history ba, then went on to work for a financial magazine in london (england) and travelled the world - he's been doing that for about 10 years now too!
Old 10-28-2008 at 10:02 AM   #23
ColinT
Program: Commerce
Year: Other
Residence: Off Campus

Liked: 0 Times
I'm happy studying the same material as John Paulson did. Look him up if you don't know.
Old 10-28-2008 at 10:17 AM   #24
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Where to lawyers come from? ... ya. Thats right.
Old 10-28-2008 at 10:17 AM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
Danielle hits bullseye. In my High School we had more failures in Languages & Social Sciences than we did in Sciences & Math.....Just look at the Engineering WEBCT and you'll see how articulate the language there is...
Definitely have to agree with you there. I get annoyed by people that do not understand the concept of paragraphing, or those that make a run on sentence last a whole paragraph. And then if you point it out, everyone calls you a grammar troll -.-
Old 10-28-2008 at 10:18 AM   #26
viv_ntiri
Program: Honours Earth and Environmental Science
Year: Third

Thanks so much for this article!!!

As a Science student, I have friends in other faculties, and they are there for a reason: their strengths and weaknesses are not necessarily my own. This is the beauty of education: there are so many different facets to it, and each person can find their own niche and go with it. When people who know that I'm in Science ask me which program, I get a lot of mixed reactions when I tell them that I'm in Earth & Environmental Science. They seem to think I'm a "tree-hugger" or something, which is NOT the case with this program. I simply enjoy the planet that we all inhabit, and I would like to do my part to help make it a better place. It doesn't mean living in a tree (think of that episode of the Simpsons) or organizing large protests. For me, it's the little things: recycling, taking the bus instead of a car...but I digress. The point is, people seem to underestimate faculties and programs, and I HATE that. I have a friend in Humanities, and she's a brilliant student. I cannot lie. But her roommate and her roommate's friends, who are all in Engineering, always bash Humanities, making stupid comments like "Oh, if I were in Humanities life would be so much easier, I wouldn't have a lot of work" etc. She actually made that comment in front of me one time. And I asked her, "Why would you think Humanities is easier than Engineering?" I cannot believe the stereotypes that people believe concerning other faculties!!!
Old 10-28-2008 at 10:36 AM   #27
ColinT
Program: Commerce
Year: Other
Residence: Off Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Where to lawyers come from? ... ya. Thats right.
Lawyers? Lawyers are the scum of the Earth.
Old 10-28-2008 at 10:59 AM   #28
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinT View Post
Well, scum is always important. Certain animals need it to survive. Take sea anenomes for example,
Old 10-28-2008 at 11:31 AM   #29
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinT View Post

And yet still essential in our society. I wouldn't be able to properly defend myself in a court of law and therefore I'd probably end up with a fine or something... here's to not having to go to court in the first place!

Article Tools