MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lame!!!!! Chambini First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-29-2010 08:59 AM
Some questions from a second year kwyhan Financial Aid 1 06-23-2010 08:12 PM
First Year Kin Questions caitygambi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-21-2010 07:46 AM
questions (2nd year) kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-08-2010 07:39 PM
Faculty Wars: Lame! lorend Academics 38 06-25-2009 01:11 PM

Lame (but innocent) questions from a 1st Year

Old 08-15-2010 at 04:55 PM   #1
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Lame (but innocent) questions from a 1st Year
People talk about the big stuff, like what to expect from courses, and which spots on campus have the cheapest/healthiest food, but people rarely answer the small questions. Because I have a few.

1) What's going to happen on the 9th this year? How will our day begin?

2) What do we bring to class on the first day? When do classes (i.e lectures/learning) actually start?

3) This is just out of curiosity, but what happens to the people who didn't buy a Mac Pass?

4) When it comes to CCW, do we buy it from Titles? or do the professors supply them to us, and we pay him/her directly?
Old 08-15-2010 at 04:59 PM   #2
jaym

Liked: 0 Times

1) You'll go to your classes and normally won't do too much. You'll go through course outlines and they'll talk about what you can expect to happen in that class. Breakdowns of how much tests, assignments, etc are worth. In some classes you'll start taking notes.

2) I'd bring a notebook, pen/pencil. You probably won't do toooo much note taking, but I'd bring some stuff so you're prepared. Lectures start on the 9th, but in most cases tutorials won't start for a week or two.. same with labs.

3) I'm not too sure... I think they can still do a lot of stuff even though they don't have a macpass. Not positive though.

4) CCW is bought from titles.
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:02 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
People talk about the big stuff, like what to expect from courses, and which spots on campus have the cheapest/healthiest food, but people rarely answer the small questions. Because I have a few.

2) What do we bring to class on the first day? When do classes (i.e lectures/learning) actually start?

3) This is just out of curiosity, but what happens to the people who didn't buy a Mac Pass?

4) When it comes to CCW, do we buy it from Titles? or do the professors supply them to us, and we pay him/her directly?
1) You go to your classes as scheduled, although usually not labs or tutorials.

2) Anything you would normally bring to class...paper/notebook, pen/pencil, a laptop if you want. Some classes actually start learning things on the first day, other times it's just going over the course outline and a bit of review.

3) Nothing happens...they just can't go to MacPass only events, and will find something else to do.

4) You have to buy it from Titles. Very rarely do you ever buy materials directly from the prof.
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:05 PM   #4
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

excellent questions, Jaym covered them well, just to add on to what he said:

1) If you're in residence, reps will be around to take you to classes if you need/are lost. There will be plenty of people in bright jumpsuits willing to help you get directions to class incase you get lost. You'll go to your class, grab a seat and your profs will most likely go over what Jaym said. They may also begin actually teaching material. Some profs let you out early.

2) You start going to lectures on the 9th, so that's when they technically start. You'll start covering material either that day, or during the next lecture for that class.

3) You can still participate in some activities, if you're in residence your HPAs may have some alternate programming going on that doesn't require macpasses, otherwise you can just chill.
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:40 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

These aren't lame questions at all! I wish I was smart enough to ask thes kinds of questions before my first day of university, instead of just being nervous!!

1. On the first day, you go to your scheduled classes. Don't go to any labs or tutorials - those won't be held until a week or two after school starts. Every class will be different, but most profs will start with "Welcome to Mac, this is probably one of your first classes of university", etc. Usually not much happens on the first day of class. Profs will pass out course outlines and talk about what you will cover in the course, assignments, readings, etc.

2. I would only bring a notebook and pen on the first day (or a laptop, if that's what you're using). Most lectures start on the second day of classes. The profs just use the first day as an introductions class usually.

3. There are some events you can attend without a MacPass. They are all listed on the FYEO website somewhere. It's not a big deal if you don't have one.

4. You buy courseware from Titles or The Tank, just like you buy any of your other books.
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:44 PM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
2. I would only bring a notebook and pen on the first day (or a laptop, if that's what you're using). Most lectures start on the second day of classes. The profs just use the first day as an introductions class usually.
I had 3 classes last year, and all 3 had full lectures on the first day.
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:45 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I had 3 classes last year, and all 3 had full lectures on the first day.
Yup, I've had first year classes where lectures started the first day too. That's why I said "most", because that has been my experience.
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:52 PM   #8
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Wow, thanks guys. This really helped.

Part of the confusion comes from talking to people who are going to different schools, and therefore have different ways of doing things. I was talking to my friend who's going to Glendon at york, and at the end of our conversation, I was just thinking "Screw this, I'm asking Macinsiders"

So, from what I've gathered, on the 9th (the first day of classes), I should bring along 1-2 binders with some paper inside, writing utensils,and some faked confidence?
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:53 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks guys. This really helped.

Part of the confusion comes from talking to people who are going to different schools, and therefore have different ways of doing things. I was talking to my friend who's going to Glendon at york, and at the end of our conversation, I was just thinking "Screw this, I'm asking Macinsiders"

So, from what I've gathered, on the 9th (the first day of classes), I should bring along 1-2 binders with some paper inside, writing utensils,and some faked confidence?
Yup! But I wouldn't worry too much about the confidence. Lots of people are nervous on the first few days.

(Bring a lunch too, unless you plan on buying food at school - which can be pretty expensive)
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:55 PM   #10
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Instead of binders, I would really just bring a clipboard (if you're in residence IRC will give you a free one) and put all your papers in there. When you get back home/to res you can arange things in binders. Later on in the school year you can figure out which binders you want to take with you to study between classes and such.

edit: if you're commuting and don't have a macpass i don't believe you get any clipboards of any sort.
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:01 PM   #11
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Yup! But I wouldn't worry too much about the confidence. Lots of people are nervous on the first few days.

(Bring a lunch too, unless you plan on buying food at school - which can be pretty expensive)

Yeah, definitely bringing a lunch. I'm in no mood to spend a $100 buying a bottle of Fuze and a slice of pizza.

On a slightly deviated note, how were your first days?
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:03 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Yeah, definitely bringing a lunch. I'm in no mood to spend a $100 buying a bottle of Fuze and a slice of pizza.

On a slightly deviated note, how were your first days?
Pretty boring, you don't learn much so it's not very interesting. You'll get tired of listening to "academic integrity" by the 3rd class XD
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:05 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

I think my first day only had one class, so that was pretty lucky. It's where I met my first university friend!
I went into class, the prof handed out course outlines, and said "This is what the course is about, these are the books you will need, these are the assignments and this is how you will be graded." I think the class was only like 30 minutes long, to be honest.
And that was my whole first day! Pretty uneventful. Most of my other classes followed the same format on the first day of each class.

I would suggest going to campus early and scouting out all the buildings and rooms, just so you know where you're going and don't get lost. Even if you do get lost and miss a class - don't worry. Missing the first day of class isn't the end of the world.
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:08 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I think my first day only had one class, so that was pretty lucky. It's where I met my first university friend!
I went into class, the prof handed out course outlines, and said "This is what the course is about, these are the books you will need, these are the assignments and this is how you will be graded." I think the class was only like 30 minutes long, to be honest.
And that was my whole first day! Pretty uneventful. Most of my other classes followed the same format on the first day of each class.

I would suggest going to campus early and scouting out all the buildings and rooms, just so you know where you're going and don't get lost. Even if you do get lost and miss a class - don't worry. Missing the first day of class isn't the end of the world.
Very true, the course outlines will also be available electronically (If they can get avenue to work -_-)
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:18 PM   #15
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Very true, the course outlines will also be available electronically (If they can get avenue to work -_-)

More electronic mishaps?? My first year hasn't even begun yet, and MUGSI/SOLAR have already turned me off of all electronic programs. I also hate the number 45 now.

And I dont think I could come early-ish. My first class is at 9:30, and I'm a commuter kid for now. So sleep>walking around campus. I'm just going to use the foggy memories of welcome day to aid me.

You're all going to hate me, because I won't let this thread die (I have questions still!), but Clubsfest occurs alongside/at Welcome Week, right? and does anyone have any idea about Titles job openings? I can't seem to find employment related links on the site.