MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

faild courses!!!

Old 05-18-2011 at 03:04 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

faild courses!!!
ok so I failed two courses during term 2 but I'm retaking them during the summer. Will these marks be included into my final GPA calculation? Also, I'm taking a third course during summer. With this third course my workload goes well above 30 units (math and chem make up to 30 units, enviro makes 33 units). So, does that mean that my total GPA will be calculated from 11 courses instead of 10? Is it ok to take more than 30 units in your first year? Can these marks count toward a second year program because I read somewhere that summer courses don't count toward second year which seems incorrect?
I know I should speak to an academic advisor and I will but I want to have some info on this matter before hand to ease myself.
thanks
Old 05-18-2011 at 04:15 PM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
Will these marks be included into my final GPA calculation?
Yes. All courses taken at McMaster are included in the calculation of your cumulative average.

Quote:
So, does that mean that my total GPA will be calculated from 11 courses instead of 10?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it ok to take more than 30 units in your first year?
Yes. Since it's the Spring/Summer session now, you're not overloading.

Quote:
Can these marks count toward a second year program because I read somewhere that summer courses don't count toward second year which seems incorrect?
I can only partially answer this from experience. You'll receive notification of the programs you're eligible for at the regular time this summer, with your missing prerequisites. However, once you complete your summer courses and have therefore satisfied prerequisites, you can schedule a meeting with an academic advisor to be placed into a second-year program. As far as marks go, I'm not entirely sure. I have a friend who had a similar situation and her admission average for level II didn't include the summer courses, but I have a housemate whose did.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-18-2011 at 06:21 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
ok so I failed two courses during term 2 but I'm retaking them during the summer. Will these marks be included into my final GPA calculation? Also, I'm taking a third course during summer. With this third course my workload goes well above 30 units (math and chem make up to 30 units, enviro makes 33 units). So, does that mean that my total GPA will be calculated from 11 courses instead of 10? Is it ok to take more than 30 units in your first year? Can these marks count toward a second year program because I read somewhere that summer courses don't count toward second year which seems incorrect?
I know I should speak to an academic advisor and I will but I want to have some info on this matter before hand to ease myself.
thanks
Your summer courses' GPA isn't included in your 1st year GPA average, I'm pretty sure. They're a separate sessional GPA on their own. However, they do count towards your overall/cumulative GPA. Since you're taking an extra 3 units, you may use it as an upper-hand and only take 27 units in 2nd year, or 3rd year or whenever you wish to complete the 120 units you need to graduate. Also, your total/cumulative GPA will be calculated based on all the courses you've taken, so yes , all 11. Of course summer courses count, but not towards your 2nd year GPA, they're a sessional GPA on their own. And in terms of your 2nd year program, you may still get a conditional acceptance based upon completion of the required courses (chem and math). Overall though, you should definitely go speak to an academic advisor. Drop-in is Mon-Fri 1:30-4:30

...?! says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

...?! likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 06:57 PM   #4
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

If you take a course during the summer, it's counted in your average with the following fall/winter session...

If you repeat a course, the mark you get in that course is the average of your two marks...

About a week ago I went to see an academic advisor but apparently they're not doing advising this month...you should check anyway. If that doesn't work, email them a few times. Lololo. (I did that and they eventually replied.)
Old 05-18-2011 at 07:05 PM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
If you take a course during the summer, it's counted in your average with the following fall/winter session...

If you repeat a course, the mark you get in that course is the average of your two marks...

About a week ago I went to see an academic advisor but apparently they're not doing advising this month...you should check anyway. If that doesn't work, email them a few times. Lololo. (I did that and they eventually replied.)
I spoke to an academic advisor about that and taking summer school is calculated as it's own sessional average, i.e. does not count as first year. It is its own session.

Also, if you fail a course then take it again, both marks are on your transcript,
i.e. MATH 1LS3 - 0
MATH 1LS3 - 8
they don't average anything out, they would just say that you received an 8 in MATH 1LS3 on your second try, which obviously isn't as good as if you got it the first.

Old 05-18-2011 at 09:05 PM   #6
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I spoke to an academic advisor about that and taking summer school is calculated as it's own sessional average, i.e. does not count as first year. It is its own session.

Also, if you fail a course then take it again, both marks are on your transcript,
i.e. MATH 1LS3 - 0
MATH 1LS3 - 8
they don't average anything out, they would just say that you received an 8 in MATH 1LS3 on your second try, which obviously isn't as good as if you got it the first.
Lolwut.

I spoke with Tina Horton and she said the mark is averaged and that the summer school marks are counted with next year's GPA... O___________O;

I'll ask again or something if I remember... XD Don't have to worry about it, tee hee.
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:12 PM   #7
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I'm wondering if you spelled failed "faild" on purpose, meaning to emphasize the fact that you failed... ?

Eternal Fire, Ish001 like this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:36 PM   #8
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I'm wondering if you spelled failed "faild" on purpose, meaning to emphasize the fact that you failed... ?
Yeah I was going to correct that typo when I came into this thread -_-
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:42 PM   #9
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol, I was going to ask if it was an English course he failed.
Haha.

Old 05-18-2011 at 10:04 PM   #10
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
\|0u g0t 4 pr0b13|\/| w1th th3 w4\| 1 t\|p3?

^__^ says thanks to Desda for this post.

^__^ likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 10:06 PM   #11
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

wow...haven't seen 1337 since like what...'04??
Old 05-20-2011 at 10:08 AM   #12
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
wow...haven't seen 1337 since like what...'04??

Maybe not every single word and only using ascii, but I see people on here saying pr0n and other leet-like stuff allllll the time. But that post reminds me of when we used to TyPe OuR MsN StaTuseS liKe thIs and wrote 43110 on our calculators
Old 05-21-2011 at 09:50 PM   #13
luna

how does shadowing a program work? assume I get into general sciences and want to switch into humanities (degree in english and another subject)? how will that work?
Old 05-21-2011 at 09:52 PM   #14
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
how does shadowing a program work? assume I get into general sciences and want to switch into humanities (degree in english and another subject)? how will that work?
I think you have to take the courses required for the program you're shadowing, do well enough in them, and then switch into the program the following year. You should ask an academic adviser, though.

Old 05-21-2011 at 09:55 PM   #15
luna

but since it's general sciences would someone still have to take some science courses?