MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

faild courses!!!

Old 05-21-2011 at 09:58 PM   #16
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
how does shadowing a program work? assume I get into general sciences and want to switch into humanities (degree in english and another subject)? how will that work?
Science to Arts, eh? Who are you trying to be, me?

Shadowing a program is essentially taking all of the required courses for a program until you can make it into it. People do it when they're missing a couple requirements and don't want to lag behind while they're catching up, or if their marks aren't up to snuff.

I think that jump requires more than just shadowing the level II program, though. I think you'd have to do level I Humanities first... you may want to consult an academic advisor to ask about your options. Here are some links to help you out - the first is the Humanities I requirements, and the second is Combined Honours English and Another Subject.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1366.html
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1432.html

Hope this helps!

Ninja'd by Mahratta...

Quote:
but since it's general sciences would someone still have to take some science courses?
No. You don't have to take the Science courses if you have no intentions of staying in Science.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:00 PM   #17
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Science to Arts, eh? Who are you trying to be, me?
Well, how about Science to Arts and then back to Science?

Top that.

Old 05-21-2011 at 10:03 PM   #18
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Well, how about Science to Arts and then back to Science?

Top that.
I've thought about it! I don't think Economics is where I want to be (don't get me wrong, it's riveting material... cough), and I miss Biology. Lately, I don't really remember why I switched.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:16 PM   #19
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

I switched from the sciences to commerce simply because i wanted a decent back up plan to not getting into medical school. I had heard too many stories of Graduates graduating from the faculty of science and having to pursue research jobs. Commerce is an ok program, I do well in my courses however it's all extrinsic motivation. I study because in this faculty marks go a long way. I decided to take a psychology course (psych 2c03) and its bringing feelings of remorse. Love the subject and the content. I also love Economics specifically Macro. I love policies especially fiscal. I'm pretty confused as to where I see myself in the future. Luckily this year we apply for internships, getting some practical experience might help.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:19 PM   #20
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
I've thought about it! I don't think Economics is where I want to be (don't get me wrong, it's riveting material... cough), and I miss Biology. Lately, I don't really remember why I switched.
Why did you switch into economics, if you don't mind me asking? It seems like a pretty interesting field (riveting, I'm sure...)

Old 05-21-2011 at 10:20 PM   #21
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
but since it's general sciences would someone still have to take some science courses?

no - take only subjects required for your desired degrees- try to get permission for required courses that you don't have the prerequisites for. if you have the required courses for admission to any second year english program, i'd consult to the department to see if I could transfer for september to avoid the seeking permission business.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:26 PM   #22
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Why did you switch into economics, if you don't mind me asking? It seems like a pretty interesting field (riveting, I'm sure...)
I really liked first-year Economics courses and thought I'd like the program a lot, but about halfway through this year I realized that I like the program, but not enough to do something related for the rest of my life. I'm pretty quirky and Economics seems so... dull, for me. It seems like a weird thing to say, perhaps, but I just don't feel like it fits me well. I've considered pursuing something different, but I'm not sure if I'd go back to Science or consider something else.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-21-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:30 PM   #23
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
I really liked first-year Economics and thought I'd like the program a lot, but about halfway through this year I realized that I like the program, but not enough to do something related for the rest of my life. I'm pretty quirky and Economics seems so... dull, for me. It seems like a weird thing to say, perhaps, but I just don't feel like it fits me well. I've considered pursuing something different, but I'm not sure if I'd go back to Science or consider something else.
Ah, I see - I know what you mean. I don't think I'd be able to restrict myself to only one discipline, I'd think it quite dull as well - and of course, I doubt that I'd be interested enough to put in the work required to do well in it.

Old 05-21-2011 at 10:48 PM   #24
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Ah, I see - I know what you mean. I don't think I'd be able to restrict myself to only one discipline, I'd think it quite dull as well - and of course, I doubt that I'd be interested enough to put in the work required to do well in it.
I feel bad for going along with the "Economics is so easy" claims... but it's pretty easy. I haven't run into much difficulty this year and I've lost a lot of interest in the program because of that. Additionally, I've found little variation in content between courses. At one point, four of my courses were covering almost the exact same thing. That was right around the time I realized I don't think I'm interested in the program enough to stick with it.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:18 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I feel bad for going along with the "Economics is so easy" claims... but it's pretty easy. I haven't run into much difficulty this year and I've lost a lot of interest in the program because of that. Additionally, I've found little variation in content between courses. At one point, four of my courses were covering almost the exact same thing. That was right around the time I realized I don't think I'm interested in the program enough to stick with it.
I'm sure it's like that for a bunch of programs. The only reason I can come up with is that students not in your program are also taking the courses. I can't even count the times I've learned the same thing in multiple courses. I must have gone over DNA structure, replication and transcription in at least 8 of the courses I have taken since first year.

alh24 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:24 PM   #26
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm sure it's like that for a bunch of programs. The only reason I can come up with is that students not in your program are also taking the courses. I can't even count the times I've learned the same thing in multiple courses. I must have gone over DNA structure, replication and transcription in at least 8 of the courses I have taken since first year.
You make a good point. I'm probably making excuses for what is actually just a genuine disinterest in the program...

Well, this thread has been an eye-opener, haha.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:26 PM   #27
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Are you planning on going to professional school, though? I wouldn't think interest is quite as important for those going to professional school - you only need to be interested in a field tangentially related to biology, not in the breadth of the discipline. I may be completely wrong, of course.

Old 05-21-2011 at 11:27 PM   #28
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
You make a good point. I'm probably making excuses for what is actually just a genuine disinterest in the program...

Well, this thread has been an eye-opener, haha.
Second year econ is indeed bland, i took 2h03, 2hh3, 2g03, 2gg3, 2j03 and 2d03 and their was significant overlap and it did get repetitive at times. However third year is much better, personally im a tax nut and loved 3c03 also 3h03 was awesome.

alh24 says thanks to Commie8507 for this post.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:34 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Are you planning on going to professional school, though? I wouldn't think interest is quite as important for those going to professional school - you only need to be interested in a field tangentially related to biology, not in the breadth of the discipline. I may be completely wrong, of course.
Interest is always important, at least for me. I would not be doing nearly as well if I wasn't interested in the material. Plus, what I learned in third year was entirely about the cell itself (cytoplasm, nucleus, multiple genetics courses) so it's a really specific part of biology.

In one way you are right in saying it's not as important because if they are accepted into professional school they don't have to really know everything they've learn, but if the student is not accepted into professional school prior to graduation then they are stuck with a degree in a subject which they have little or no interest in and going from there would only get worse. Yes, they could keep on trying to get into professional school but in the mean time they would probably consider graduate school.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:42 PM   #30
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Interest is always important, at least for me. I would not be doing nearly as well if I wasn't interested in the material. Plus, what I learned in third year was entirely about the cell itself (cytoplasm, nucleus, multiple genetics courses) so it's a really specific part of biology.
Oh, I definitely think interest is important on a personal level. However, I don't know if it's necessary for someone going into, say, dental or medical school to be interested in their undergraduate biology work. It's definitely a plus, though.

I also agree with your second point, but I was only really considering the ideal case, I suppose.