MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failing a Second Year Course Schevene Academics 5 12-17-2013 09:25 AM
Is 3rd year Enviro Sci course or 3rd year psych courses easier? lovekblue Academics 2 02-28-2013 09:12 AM
Failing First Year redwine Academics 34 12-19-2011 09:19 PM
One full year OR 2 half year courses? ak21 Academics 5 07-13-2011 04:55 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM

Failing 2 courses in first year soc sic

Old 12-28-2013 at 11:20 PM   #1
aldo123

Liked: 0 Times

Failing 2 courses in first year soc sic
I'm currently in first year in social science. I went through the death of my grandpa. If I failed psych and math can i still more on in university? I want to apply for a B.A. in health and aging! I'm really panicing HELP!!
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:31 PM   #2
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

If you're asking about staying in university, you'll need a gpa of 3.0+, otherwise, you'll be kicked out, but you have a good reason for performing poorly, so you'll likely get reinstated next year.
If you try really hard next semester, you shouldn't have that problem.
If you just want to get into a 3-year B.A program, requirements aren't too high, so, again, if you try really hard next semester, you should still be okay. You didn't mention anything about your other grades. If the courses you passed are in the C and D range, it makes things much more difficult.

Anyway, I wouldn't panic; what's done is done. Worst case scenario: you get kicked out, apply for reinstatement, and start over fresh.
Best case scenario: you get straight A's and B's next semester and make the cut-off GPA required for your program.

aldo123 says thanks to SweetyTweety for this post.
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:37 PM   #3
aldo123

i wanted to do the 4 year B.A Health and aging program. (btw whats the difference between the 3 year and 4 year b.a)?? I will defiantly try my ultimate best to make sure i have a gpa of over a 3 I'm at a 3.5 now anyways. i just mean do i have to have 30 units for sure before applying to second year for the b.a. in health and aging? does this mean i have to take summer school? or an online course? is there anyway i can just pick it up like throughout my undergrad??
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:38 PM   #4
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Best bet is to talk to the academic advisors of your faculty. They should know everything there is to know about it and they can tell you what your options are.

In the mean time, you can take a quick look at the undergraduate calendar for degree requirements. A very cursory glance tells me that you need a 3.5 minimum average to get into the B.A. you want (but enrolment is limited to you probably need something a bit higher.) You also need to have taken HTH AGE 1AA3 and 1BB3 with at least a 4.0 in both of them. Do you fulfill these requirements?

(Source: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...14/pg2079.html)
^ I really recommend getting used to looking things up in the undergraduate calendar - it has almost everything you could need to know.

However, it doesn't say anything about how many units you need to proceed. It might be in there somewhere if you dig a little deeper than I did - and an academic advisor would definitely know. They're there to help you so don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:40 PM   #5
aldo123

yea i meet one of those req cause i took one this term and I'm taking the second on term 2.... ughh so stressed this is driving me nuts!! thank you for all your help!
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:41 PM   #6
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo123 View Post
i wanted to do the 4 year B.A Health and aging program. (btw whats the difference between the 3 year and 4 year b.a)?? I will defiantly try my ultimate best to make sure i have a gpa of over a 3 I'm at a 3.5 now anyways. i just mean do i have to have 30 units for sure before applying to second year for the b.a. in health and aging? does this mean i have to take summer school? or an online course? is there anyway i can just pick it up like throughout my undergrad??
Simply a Bachelor of Arts (or any Bachelor's degree) is a 3-year degree. When it's an "Honours" degree, that's a 4-year degree. It's one fewer year of education and you don't get the "honours" designation on your diploma. The requirements are different so you might want to look into it.

From http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...14/pg1661.html I don't really see an Honours degree for health, aging, and society. Perhaps you meant health studies? (I really don't know the department though so I could be wrong here.)
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:49 PM   #7
aldo123

either or.... i just want to go into that kind of a field. I'm just wondering with this being said what does this mean.... for me to continue onto 2nd year what do i need?? just the 3.5 and the 4.0 in the health and aging.... or do i still need 30 units??

Admission

Enrolment in this program is limited. Selection is based on academic achievement but requires, as a minimum, completion of any Level I program with a minimum Cumulative Average of 3.5 and an average of at least 4.0 in HLTH AGE 1AA3 and 1BB3.

Notes

Application for admission must be made by April 1. See Admission to Level II Programs in Academic Regulations in this section of the Calendar.
Courses other than those listed below in Course List may be substituted with the prior permission of the Chair. Students wishing to apply for substitutions must contact the Administrator of the Department of Health, Aging and Society.
Students who completed HLTH AGE 2A06, 3A03 or 3Z06 or equivalent (please refer to antirequisites in the Course Listings section of this Calendar) are not required to complete HLTH AGE 2A03.
Course List

Requirements

90 units total (Levels I to III), of which 42 units may be Level I

30 units from the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program (see Admission above)
Old 12-29-2013 at 12:07 AM   #8
aldo123

I found this.... does this still mean I need 20 units?
How do I qualify for admission to a Level 2 program?
Admission to a Level 2 program will depend on your academic performance in Level 1 as well as the courses you have taken. You'll need to have taken the required courses - usually 6 units of Level 1 courses in the program subject(s) - and have achieved the minimum academic standard for the program of your choice (3-year B.A., 4-year honours B.A., or 4-year combined honours B.A.).

Entrance to an 4-year honours program usually requires a Level 1 Cumulative Average of at least 5.0, with an average of at least 5.0 (C) in the required subject courses.

Entrance to a 3-year B.A. program requires a Cumulative Average of at least 3.5, with an average of at least 4.0 (C-) in in the required subject courses.

See our undergraduate programs listings for specific entrance requirements to Level 2 Social Sciences programs.
Old 12-29-2013 at 10:21 AM   #9
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Well, it is in plain English, if you couldn't understand it.... How did you manage to pass high school English?
Old 12-29-2013 at 11:18 AM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Your best bet is to keep trying and p ull ur marks up. In the scenario that your marks are still not enough after the end of the year, you can try to submit reinstatement and explain your situtation. Either way I would talk to your academic advisor
Old 12-29-2013 at 12:21 PM   #11
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

You don't need 30 units to move on to 2nd year if the courses you failed aren't prerequisites, but you will need to make those up eventually. You can either overload the following year (if your SA is 7.0+), take summer courses, or overload in your final year of studies (everyone can do this regardless of your SA, but only by 6 units, so try not to fail any more courses).

Last edited by SweetyTweety : 12-29-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2013 at 12:26 PM   #12
fatimaa

Liked: 4 Times

Are summer courses pass/fail ? Or do you get an actual grade for them?
Old 12-29-2013 at 01:01 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

actual grade
Old 12-29-2013 at 01:13 PM   #14
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatimaa View Post
Are summer courses pass/fail ? Or do you get an actual grade for them?
a pass/fail is often done if you take the course at a university other than mac on a letter of permission.