MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failing help jigga_man Academics 2 12-07-2011 06:15 PM
Needs Stats 2nd semester, Offering 1st semester science4ever Academics 0 09-06-2011 08:04 PM
Failing out first semester Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 12-07-2010 09:41 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM

Failing course first semester

Old 12-18-2014 at 01:32 AM   #1
tealing

Liked: 0 Times

Failing course first semester
Whats up Macinsiders

So id really like some advice on my situation. I'm on academic probation right now. My goal is to be admitted into Honors English BA for second year. First semester is practically over and I'm almost 100% sure I bombed two exams. Which will in turn drop my mark below passing.

The other two courses I'm almost sure I did fantastic on. Really great (knock on wood). But the fact that those two courses won't be so good AND i'm on academic probation is really worrying me. Next semester, I plan on going above and beyond. Also, the two English courses are going to be next semester and hopefully my average will be well and above to be admitted into the English BA program. But do you think that I'll be kicked out based on the two courses im sure I failed? Considering I'm on probation right now.

This whole thing has been stressing me out so much. I can't even sleep becus I'm so worried about the uncertainty of my future. Any advice would help at this point

Happy Holidays guys
Old 12-18-2014 at 10:18 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

What program are you in now?
You need a cumulative average of 5.0 to get in to Honours English. If you fail two courses, and already have low grades from last year, it will be difficult to get, and it's probably not realistic to expect 12's in all of your courses next term.
My understanding of probation is that you need to bring your overall average up in order to stay in, and the two failed courses will certainly negatively impact that. Without knowing your other grades, there's not really anything else that anyone can tell you. You could always talk to an academic advisor for more specifics. I don't think you automatically get kicked out if you fail a course while on probation (couldn't find anything online saying that) but it would be better to double-check with an advisor.
Old 12-19-2014 at 03:42 PM   #3
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

I don't think they'll kick you out just for failing two courses; what they look at is your overall GPA. However, failing two courses certainly won't help that GPA. If you step it up next semester and get your average over a 5.0 you should be okay.
Old 12-21-2014 at 04:18 AM   #4
othmaa123

Liked: 0 Times

I'm In the same situation except i dropped a class and i failed one but my other classes were good and i think they give you until may to prove that you belong in uni... my plan is to super sayian next semester so i can continue i think thats you're best bet.
Old 12-26-2014 at 11:27 AM   #5
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating4 / 2Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Lawstudent.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-26-2014 at 08:00 PM   #6
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
a BA is not even an employable degree.
*sigh*
Old 12-27-2014 at 07:01 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
How do you even fail a social science/ humanities course? Clearly those who do are in the wrong program for them when a BA is not even an employable degree. If you go to class and know the essay questions beforehand, at the bare minimum you should be able to pass a social science course with a 50%. Forgive me for my harsh tone but I am astonished by how many students are failing and dropping out of McMaster's BA programs, which has a 75% entrance average and is relatively lax compared to its science programs.

I think rather than try to get back into an English program, you should figure out what you hope to accomplish with bare minimum grades in this degree.
comin from the guy who has spent 3 yrs here asking for bird courses and how much math is involved in econ cus u suck at math.
Old 12-28-2014 at 04:28 PM   #8
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

You should speak to an academic adviser. I was in a similar situation years ago, and decided to take fewer courses per term to improve my GPA. I also repeated my failed courses in the summer. You should consider this, assuming that your current situation is a result of heavy course-load and not the content of the courses.
Old 01-05-2015 at 10:45 AM   #9
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
comin from the guy who has spent 3 yrs here asking for bird courses and how much math is involved in econ cus u suck at math.
Really? From my post history this is what you gathered?

I completed my Honours Political Science degree and am currently a 1L at Osgoode Hall Law School.

Yes I suck at math and no, I have never taken an economics course in undergrad.
Old 01-08-2015 at 10:38 AM   #10
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Really? From my post history this is what you gathered?

I completed my Honours Political Science degree and am currently a 1L at Osgoode Hall Law School.

Yes I suck at math and no, I have never taken an economics course in undergrad.
SHOTS FIRED!