MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you still drop a course without failing it? Phantom Academics 3 11-13-2013 12:32 AM
Failing help jigga_man Academics 2 12-07-2011 06:15 PM
Failing an elective Nort Academics 4 12-11-2010 11:26 AM
Failing Midterms resh.jyoti Academics 23 11-16-2009 02:28 PM

Failing an elective

Old 04-09-2014 at 03:11 AM   #1
KayS

Liked: 0 Times

Failing an elective
I am 99% sure I'm going to fail one of my elective classes. It is entirely my fault, I mixed up the deadlines for the major project in this class and the other- basically, I handed in the assignment for the other class three weeks early, and didn't hand the one for my elective in yet. The professor is being really strict about it and not letting me hand it in. It's also worth 40% of our mark. Is there any way I could petition my mark or anything? Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-09-2014 at 09:00 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Doubt it but you can try ombuds.
Old 04-09-2014 at 09:11 AM   #3
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

How could you petition your mark when you straight up admitted it is your fault? Part of university is time and project management. I dont see any reason why the prof should change his stance on this situation. If this were your career and you made this kind of mistake, I dont think a client would say, oh yeah sure, hand it in 3 weeks late with no consequences. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but you have to face the consequences imo.
Old 04-09-2014 at 09:26 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Nope, you don't have grounds to petition. It's your responsibility to know when things are due.
It sucks, but you're going to have to take the fail. At least it's an elective, not required for your program.
Old 04-10-2014 at 07:05 PM   #5
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating7 / 5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by JonC89.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 04-10-2014 at 10:37 PM   #6
JayJackson69
Account Locked

how does jonc89's post get downvoted and hidden? the amount of butthurt humanities kids reading this thread... well apparently at the moment that number is 4. but seriously come on guys dont be so sensitive there was nothing offensive said there.
Old 04-10-2014 at 11:33 PM   #7
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJackson69 View Post
how does jonc89's post get downvoted and hidden? the amount of butthurt humanities kids reading this thread... well apparently at the moment that number is 4. but seriously come on guys dont be so sensitive there was nothing offensive said there.
So you're basically saying "His post was offensive, no doubt, and he has the right to offend an entire program BUT COME ON guys there is nothing wrong with what he said!"

I am not in humanities, but either way, your post is so naive it literally gave me cancer. Thanks dude.
Old 04-11-2014 at 08:45 AM   #8
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
So you're basically saying "His post was offensive, no doubt, and he has the right to offend an entire program BUT COME ON guys there is nothing wrong with what he said!"

I am not in humanities, but either way, your post is so naive it literally gave me cancer. Thanks dude.
I think you need to learn the definition of the word "literally". Also, i'm pretty sure everyone can agree that the humanities faculty offers some of the easiest programs at McMaster. Its not offensive, its just common knowledge. All he was saying was that there are easier electives to be found in that faculty. Good luck with the "literal" chemotherapy tho? Yeah see cancer jokes arent funny man, grow up.
Old 04-11-2014 at 09:32 AM   #9
Phoneup

Quote:
I think you need to learn the definition of the word "literally". Also, i'm pretty sure everyone can agree that the humanities faculty offers some of the easiest programs at McMaster. Its not offensive, its just common knowledge. All he was saying was that there are easier electives to be found in that faculty. Good luck with the "literal" chemotherapy tho? Yeah see cancer jokes arent funny man, grow up.
When did you even use the word literally in your original post?

I can sense the madness, boiling inside of you
Old 04-11-2014 at 09:34 AM   #10
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
When did you even use the word literally in your original post?

I can sense the madness, boiling inside of you
I didnt...? you did when you said you literally got cancer from reading my post...
Old 04-11-2014 at 09:46 AM   #11
Phoneup

Quote:
I didnt...? you did when you said you literally got cancer from reading my post...
You are actually referring to my post? Oh wow!

Old 04-11-2014 at 10:18 AM   #12
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayS View Post
I am 99% sure I'm going to fail one of my elective classes. It is entirely my fault, I mixed up the deadlines for the major project in this class and the other- basically, I handed in the assignment for the other class three weeks early, and didn't hand the one for my elective in yet. The professor is being really strict about it and not letting me hand it in. It's also worth 40% of our mark. Is there any way I could petition my mark or anything? Any help is appreciated!
there's nothing you can do to change the mark unless your prof has a change of heart. unlikely that the prof would given that you just mixed up deadlines.

what are you getting in the rest of the course? Mathematically, it's still possible to pass if you can get 84 or above on the rest of the 60% of the course. If that's not possible now, all you can do is learn from the experience and never forget a deadline again.
Old 04-11-2014 at 11:31 AM   #13
JonC89

Liked: 6 Times

If it is an ELECTIVE, would you rather take a physics course about waves (1b03) or a music course (2f03) that tests you on random knowledge like who composed the score to 2001: A Space Odyssey?

C'mon son.
Old 04-11-2014 at 02:43 PM   #14
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC89 View Post
If it is an ELECTIVE, would you rather take a physics course about waves (1b03) or a music course (2f03) that tests you on random knowledge like who composed the score to 2001: A Space Odyssey?

C'mon son.
C'mon man you know common sense is considered descriminatory and obscene these days! If humanities students can't accept that their program has a lot of courses (electives included) that are easier to pass than those of other faculties, thats their ignorance speaking.