Dr. Mclean for Math 1Z04... xxsumz Academics 8 08-14-2009 10:15 AM
Math 1Z04, where can I get help kenvin100 Academics 11 11-02-2008 08:59 PM
MATH 1Z04 Lab 1 Bobby66 Academics 1 10-06-2008 10:08 PM

Failing Math 1Z04. Not so bad?

Old 10-22-2008 at 08:01 PM   #1
Kurt_

Liked: 0 Times

Failing Math 1Z04. Not so bad?
Well, I currently have a not-so-good mark in Math 1Z04 (Eng 1: Math 1).

I haven't done the math (Get it?!), but my mark is around 35%.

And by the looks of it, it's staying there.

My question is, is it really that bad?

I mean, I understand the basic concepts. The questions are just too insane for me to do well without part marks. Oh part marks, how I miss you!

I've heard stories, perhaps made up to comfort all of us failures, about failing Math 1Z04 being some big conspiracy. I've heard several things, including "They give you a 50% at the end if your mark (and many others) is lower" and "They make it extremely hard and everyone always fails, but second year they make it way easier".

I have a few questions:

1) Can anyone verify either of these myths or provide some sort of comfort to me? I don't really have a backup plan if I fail Engineering.

2) What is a 'pass' in University for Engineering. Both in respect to a course and the program. I hear a pass is a 60% for a course. Does that mean if I get 33% in 1Z04 I can't take 1ZZ4? I'm pretty sure I understand the passes with respect to getting into Engineer II as a whole.

3) I'm doing well in all other courses, could I switch into another course and switch back in a later year, or something evil and tricky of the sorts?
Old 10-22-2008 at 08:26 PM   #2
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

if you are doing bad, like 35%, others will be the same. The first test was bad for many people (excluding me), well, you wont fail engineering, you can 1. try the second test( much harder) if you do bad, take it in the summer

Second year is definitely harder than 1st year, don't say its easy, more work load and living off campus, manage your time well, cook etc.

Old 10-22-2008 at 08:29 PM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Hey there!

So this is the first year that math has been 1zz4 and such, it used to be 1h04, 1n03, and 1nn3.

I failed 1nn3 my first year.

A pass is 50%, just like in all your other eng courses, and you need a 4 to stay in eng.

They usually dont let you take the second course without passing the first - i believe you need special permission.

Math, especially first year, is very often offered in the summer. Its a shitty time to get behind, so early, but if you can make summer school the better plan is to drop without failure before that deadline (i think you get some monies back??) and then retake in the summer. you'll likely have to do both, but if you can itll be worth it, and you'll have more time to work on sample problems.

You need to pass these maths to get into any 2nd year program, as you will be taking something equivalent to 2m6 (2m03 and 2mm3 now)
Old 10-22-2008
aj-maxx
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-22-2008 at 09:09 PM   #4
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
if you are doing bad, like 35%, others will be the same. The first test was bad for many people (excluding me), well, you wont fail engineering, you can 1. try the second test( much harder) if you do bad, take it in the summer

Second year is definitely harder than 1st year, don't say its easy, more work load and living off campus, manage your time well, cook etc.
Your facts are wrong.
Second year is easier. No quizzes. Only midterms and finals and assignemtns.
Living off campus is simpler than living on it. Trust me.

Basically, no year will be as hard as the first one. Its made so just to weed out the non-serious students like me

athmi100 likes this.
Old 10-22-2008 at 09:13 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

I admit that second year is hard but not for the same reasons as first.

Second year is ~90% if not more NEW stuff. Completely new. And building off new stuff you learned last year.
Also, you may be in a program you end up not taking to/liking/being good at.

You already (hopefully) will have your study skills, etc, to get you through though. And theres a tighter community to rely on too - lots of new friends to do labs with!

and yes, off campus is excellent.

And it depends on your department as to what you do. This year (third) I have quizzes, but no assignments! Weird. Some classes just tests and exams, too.
Old 10-22-2008 at 10:18 PM   #6
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Math is fundamental to....everything. So I'd say yes, it's that bad. Sorry to bring you down like that, but now that you feel crappy about it, you have the will to improve, yes? Assuming you had a decent mark in calculus last year, most of what we're learning now should just be review for you. But if you've really gotten rusty during the summer, the best way is just to practice, practice, practice. Seriously.

It's good that you understand the concepts. Now you just need the practice so that you instantly know how to apply those concepts given any situation. At this level, you're never going to get a "hard" question. Just an easy question that you don't know how to do.

A week before each calculus test, I start doing problems. Like, 3-6 hours a day worth of problems. Do ALL the suggested problems. Then do all the sample tests. Then, if you still have time, do all the suggested problems again. Drill it into you until it becomes as easy as blinking and breathing. Seriously. When you're finished reading this, turn off your computer and start working.

Of course I'm first year myself, so I don't know what it's going to be like in the future, but this is what I do, and it seems to work.

Okay, go!
Old 10-23-2008 at 01:01 AM   #7
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I admit that second year is hard but not for the same reasons as first.

Second year is ~90% if not more NEW stuff. Completely new. And building off new stuff you learned last year.
Also, you may be in a program you end up not taking to/liking/being good at.

You already (hopefully) will have your study skills, etc, to get you through though. And theres a tighter community to rely on too - lots of new friends to do labs with!

and yes, off campus is excellent.

And it depends on your department as to what you do. This year (third) I have quizzes, but no assignments! Weird. Some classes just tests and exams, too.
Hey Jackie...
Well the hard part doesnt worry me but is 2nd year apparently as boring as year one?
I like none of my subjects right now.

And math doesnt matter if you choose like biomed or software right I mean you have to pass it but it isnt the core subject for those majors. right?
Cause I'll get a 50 on Math if I'm lucky enough
Old 10-23-2008 at 07:01 AM   #8
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
Math is fundamental to....everything. So I'd say yes, it's that bad. Sorry to bring you down like that, but now that you feel crappy about it, you have the will to improve, yes? Assuming you had a decent mark in calculus last year, most of what we're learning now should just be review for you. But if you've really gotten rusty during the summer, the best way is just to practice, practice, practice. Seriously.

It's good that you understand the concepts. Now you just need the practice so that you instantly know how to apply those concepts given any situation. At this level, you're never going to get a "hard" question. Just an easy question that you don't know how to do.

A week before each calculus test, I start doing problems. Like, 3-6 hours a day worth of problems. Do ALL the suggested problems. Then do all the sample tests. Then, if you still have time, do all the suggested problems again. Drill it into you until it becomes as easy as blinking and breathing. Seriously. When you're finished reading this, turn off your computer and start working.

Of course I'm first year myself, so I don't know what it's going to be like in the future, but this is what I do, and it seems to work.

Okay, go!
I never found the concepts of 1Z04 difficult, the type of problems we are given + doing them without a calculator are hard to get used too...

Old 10-23-2008 at 07:21 AM   #9
micadjems
Awesome Member

AJ - Year one is probably boring for you because you have to do a lot of stuff that youre not interested in. Its a general year, and I personally like that from mac because you may find something you didnt know you wanted to do! I wanted to be in civil, and right now i LOVE materials! So second year was a lot more interesting for me because it was related to stuff i WANTED to do, and a lot of the courses interrelate, too.

Vinorth - Im not sure what youre learning, but yes, unfortunately, first year math follows you in just about every 2nd year program. I derive and integrate off the top of my head in not only my math courses but thermo, statics... im sure there are many more. Second year has some really weird concepts, and right now in 3i03 (only materials and mech) the course is near numberless - its all expressions! WTF!
But yes most things do end up relying on some of the basics of first year.

If youre having a really tough time head down to the math centre, i believe in Thode, grab a tutor, or hit up the BLUE lounge in JHE where tons of upper years hang out and could maybe help you a bit

Best of luck to all of you in first year - its hard, but its totaly worth it, even if you get 1s and 2s in the hard subjects.
Old 10-23-2008 at 07:59 AM   #10
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
I never found the concepts of 1Z04 difficult, the type of problems we are given + doing them without a calculator are hard to get used too...
That signature gave me a chuckle.
And yeah, first test is only worth so much, keep beating that dead horse, and you will hopefully do well.
Old 10-23-2008 at 09:11 AM   #11
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
That signature gave me a chuckle.
And yeah, first test is only worth so much, keep beating that dead horse, and you will hopefully do well.
yea, i rly dont care wat my marks are anymore..i'll keep trying but w.e. im not ashamed of repeating courses..or first yr eng for that matter...

Old 10-23-2008 at 10:19 AM   #12
Kurt_

Repeating a program is a problem for me.

You see, I've already re-taken all maths in high school, so I'm a year behind everyone my age. I don't want to be stuck two years behind. At the rate I'm going, in 2015, I'll have an Engineering degree. At the age of 28. Not exactly what I had planned, and think of all of the tuition fees!

I'm 90% certain engineering is for me. I mean, I LOVE chemistry, and apart from how frustrating math is (And Eng P), I find all of my courses fun, even if they're work-intensive. I enjoy building things (Anyone heard of Benheck? I built a SNESp. If you don't understand this don't worry) and am always full of ideas (How to hack "Stacker" Machines seen in theatres and Walmart and the likes). As soon as I have time, I'm going to try to apply for a patent or two. My dream job would be something in R&D.

I don't think there's really any other course that would get me to where I want to go.
Old 10-23-2008 at 10:48 AM   #13
micadjems
Awesome Member

Well repeating courses is something that most engineers do at least once or twice. Like I said, if you can do stuff in the summer thats great.

If youre finding youre getting low marks, I suggest going into society, or doing something called 'relaxations' where you spread out your 4 years into 5.

I love society - i dont get very high marks, 1-6s usually in tough courses, but society courses not only teach sustainability and environmentalism, but theyre really easy as long as you do the (very small amount) of work. (in comparison to other courses). Ive got 11 and 12 in my society courses last year. Also, you get to take a focus elective, which you can also build into a minor, if you take enough units. I'm taking theatre and film studies, and I usually get 8+ in those classes. Through this, my average is boosted! yay!!!

So these are some mark-boosting options
Old 10-23-2008 at 10:51 AM   #14
Kurt_

I'm not worried about mark-boosting (Think 80% in Chem and Physics), it's more failing math and being unable to proceed until I don't.