MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fake burberry scarfs Juve General Discussion 126 12-02-2010 01:27 PM
Academics and Extracurricular Activities VoyozooT General Discussion 16 08-04-2009 09:58 PM
Residence activities... xxsumz Residence & Housing 27 06-02-2009 05:38 PM
Free Gym Activities sinthusized General Discussion 1 10-27-2008 11:03 PM
Hillarious video: Fake Shoplifting Chad Computers & Tech 2 11-13-2006 05:37 PM

Fake Extracurricular Activities?

Old 10-10-2009 at 12:58 AM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Fake Extracurricular Activities?
Are there any good extra-curricular activities that I can fake on a resume?
Or any clubs/organizations that require no commitment?

I've only joined 'Professional Engineers of Ontario' so far, that's free and requires no commitment.

Thanks.

danallan likes this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 01:30 AM   #2
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Uhh, so you're basically asking for clubs/extra-curricular activities to join just so you can say you are a part of them and use them for resume padding? Sorry, but that's so horrible...

Last edited by Nino : 10-10-2009 at 01:38 AM.

myoozik likes this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 06:24 AM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post

I've only joined 'Professional Engineers of Ontario' so far, that's free and requires no commitment.

Thanks.
its a mighty shame you dont even know what that means..in fact, your "commitment" is a slap across the face to engineers everywhere..i'd change that to chess club if i were u

Old 10-10-2009 at 08:02 AM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
Uhh, so you're basically asking for clubs/extra-curricular activities to join just so you can say you are a part of them and use them for resume padding? Sorry, but that's so horrible...
That's why I joined clubs. o_o But I actually go to the meetings and events.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-10-2009 at 09:34 AM   #5
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You know just putting them on your resume doesn't actually do anything right? You have to be able to expand on that and say what you have done to better yourself through them.

Your web of lies will be very apparent when you get drilled with questions in interviews.

huzaifa47 says thanks to PTGregD for this post.

huzaifa47, Stan, Taunton like this.
Old 10-10-2009
FireDragoonX
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-10-2009 at 10:16 AM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You know just putting them on your resume doesn't actually do anything right? You have to be able to expand on that and say what you have done to better yourself through them.

Your web of lies will be very apparent when you get drilled with questions in interviews.
Seriously.

Especially if they ask you what you actually did, and how you contributed. :p
Old 10-10-2009 at 10:54 AM   #7
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:

Thanks.

How about joining one of the many interesting engineering clubs or societies??

You can come out to musical crew meetings and help them build stuff a few weekend, or go help build/plan vehicles for SAE, Concrete toboggan, etc....

Seriously though, I would find it offensive if you put down any of the clubs I was involved in, but didn't help out at all. What happens when someone was involved in that club and asks you about it??
Old 10-10-2009 at 12:02 PM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

OT but does being a member of macinsiders count as "clubs" on the resume?
Old 10-10-2009 at 12:10 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
OT but does being a member of macinsiders count as "clubs" on the resume?
We're no longer an MSU club...so no it does not.

If you're an IA it does tho!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

sinthusized says thanks to lorend for this post.

niteskie likes this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 02:42 PM   #10
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:

Thanks.
You're joking, right? If you thought even the slightest bit as to why you were putting that on your resume, you'd have realized that if an employer took interest to that, they would immediately catch onto your farce after having asked you a couple questions. Get rid of the habit and actually do something, 'cause that's just spitting on the faces of those of us who take time out of our busy schedules to actually participate in these club activities.

huzaifa47, lorend, Maegs like this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 04:27 PM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Why not actually participate in some extracurricular activities and put them on your resume?

Bizarre suggestion right.

adrian, huzaifa47, Maegs like this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 08:06 PM   #12
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

The title of this thread had me incredibly all riled up! Thank god I am too tired after my night shift mayhem to go on a rant about how angry and at the same time I am at this intention! As Fadil said it is just horrible! Join an extra curricular club or opportunity you might like and give it your 100%! You are missing the point of extra curriculars if you think they are just for resume padding!

But hey! at least I applaud you for your honesty! Its better then people from certain faculties who need resume padding for certain "future ventures"(We all know what I'm talking about!) and then pretend to care about a cause or a club. Its not just my observation, it is a view shared by alot of people in those faculties as well; heck! One guy at my Summer Orientation for FYEO program even told me that "I'm only doing this because my med school application requires 60 charachter points" :@

I know someone will reply saying its the nature of the beast; but the reply to that is that you don't have to use that excuse! Even if you don't believe in a random social justice club at least give it your best shot! Prove that you have bloody "Charachter".

I know there are exceptions to this case but they are increasingly becoming rare! For Faculties that don't really need resume padding the people in it just don't sign up for anything or show up! (Eg: SocSci) but utilitarian-wise that apathy is better then someone showing up with half a heart and messing the whole thing up because he isn't committed.

I actually was pretty happy these days that out of the 100+ People I harassed during Welcome Week to run for FYC two of them actually ended up running and winning after many second thoughts even though they looked like one of those who would never really participate in anything and their 4 years would be a blur of random acquaintances, parties, hangovers and a piece of paper at the end that told them they had graduated! THEN I saw this post

Be a part of something bigger!

MUST.CONTROL.MYSELF :(

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-10-2009 at 08:12 PM.

ice8 likes this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 08:07 PM   #13
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Go and actually participate in extracircular activities, don't fake it. Lying on your resume will usually get you blacklisted. I agree with other posts, its like a slap in the face for those of us involved in extra curriculars as we actually part our time and sometimes money into what we do in clubs, organizations, etc.

lorend likes this.
Old 10-11-2009 at 12:42 AM   #14
darklink121

Liked: 59 Times

To the OP, this pic might interest you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OfficeSpaceMotivation.jpg (31.6 KB, 73 views)

zombiejesus likes this.