MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Game Tourney! zaverim Clubs & Groups 0 01-11-2011 01:03 PM
Video game music bcars Gaming 21 01-05-2011 03:28 PM
Daily game Nov 06 : Moby Dick: The Video Game Chad Daily Game 0 11-06-2010 04:46 AM
Bedlam Executives Kick Off New Video Game Career Series at McMaster Gene MacInsiders Announcements 2 01-14-2009 03:18 PM

Favourite Video Game Character

Old 03-30-2011 at 07:56 AM   #61
Noodle

Liked: 19 Times

Ness is in my top 5, Earthbound ftw

Entropy likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:17 AM   #62
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
-facepalm- Such is my life, a chick playing RPGs...
...and nothing's wrong with that. I actually like it when a girl plays video games.
Old 03-30-2011 at 10:21 AM   #63
sniperwaffle

Liked: 0 Times

Fox McCloud
Loved using him in Super Smash (still do). just cause he's a badass (he was so awesome in the original

and Star Fox 64 was great!

either him, or all the characters from Diddy Kong Racing
NOSTALGICCCCCC.
Old 03-30-2011 at 10:51 AM   #64
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperwaffle View Post
Fox McCloud
Loved using him in Super Smash (still do). just cause he's a badass (he was so awesome in the original

and Star Fox 64 was great!

either him, or all the characters from Diddy Kong Racing
NOSTALGICCCCCC.
Do a barrel roll!

I thought Falco was awesome too..now HE was the badass on the 64.

Misspolitics likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 11:44 AM   #65
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Garrus from Mass Effect

Grover likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 11:58 AM   #66
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-30-2011 at 01:24 PM   #67
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Do a barrel roll!

Falco is just a jerk. Fox is alright. Peppy is, well, you know... barrel rolls and everything. And Slippy is one of the most annoying characters in -any- game.

But the true badass of Starfox 64? That was James.

I mean, just look at those shades.

Last edited by Grover : 03-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.

britb likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 01:39 PM   #68
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
Falco is just a jerk. Fox is alright. Peppy is, well, you know... barrel rolls and everything. And Slippy is one of the most annoying characters in -any- game.

But the true badass of Starfox 64? That was James.

I mean, just look at those shades.
Oh, I almost forgot about him! James -was- the badass. Flying through an exploding planet, leading the way out...

Falco was a useful team member, opening up secret pathways and shiz.
Old 03-30-2011 at 02:19 PM   #69
ConfusedTaco

Liked: 1 Time

I'm surprised we haven't seen any of the Tales series people yet, so I guess I'll be the first.

Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia:

Incredibly awesome, and especially useful team mate since he has good offensive skills and gets some healing spells. What gets him this spot though is the depth of his character. One of the deepest characters I've ever seen in a game, Kratos is involved in most major plot twists and fights both for, and against the party on multiple occasions (and to this day is one hell of a boss fight!). Anyone who has not played Tales of Symphonia, has a Gamecube and likes a good RPG, give that game a shot [but for the love of all that is good don't go anywhere near the sequel!!!!].
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:23 PM   #70
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Eh, not a fan of Valve's protagonists. They tend to lack personality. Most of them do not talk either.
If you were being attacked by a swarm of zombies I don't think you would talk much either... Plus all the talking they need is done through one word shouts such as BOOMER. or SMOKER! Ahhh I love L4D.

RyanC likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 11:48 PM   #71
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedTaco View Post
I'm surprised we haven't seen any of the Tales series people yet, so I guess I'll be the first.

Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia:

Incredibly awesome, and especially useful team mate since he has good offensive skills and gets some healing spells. What gets him this spot though is the depth of his character. One of the deepest characters I've ever seen in a game, Kratos is involved in most major plot twists and fights both for, and against the party on multiple occasions (and to this day is one hell of a boss fight!). Anyone who has not played Tales of Symphonia, has a Gamecube and likes a good RPG, give that game a shot [but for the love of all that is good don't go anywhere near the sequel!!!!].
Luke Fon Fabre TotA

Cruxis and the Desians as a whole were a pretty interesting bunch in ToS.
Old 03-31-2011 at 02:01 PM   #72
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
If you were being attacked by a swarm of zombies I don't think you would talk much either... Plus all the talking they need is done through one word shouts such as BOOMER. or SMOKER! Ahhh I love L4D.
The cast of Left 4 Dead probably aren't the best example, since they do speak here and there.

Let's go with a popular example: Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life series. For whatever reason, people are constantly praising him for being one of the best video game characters.

Here's the problem with silent characters:

Can you tell me what kind of person Gordon Freeman is?

What is his personality like?

What are his ambitions and motivations?

How would he act in X situation?

You can apply questions like these to any silent character, really. The answers you get from people are almost always going to be entirely different. Entirely subjective. Not an indication of a strong narrative.

On a side note:

Quote:
I have never empathized more with a character in anything else ever.
Corrected.
Old 03-31-2011 at 02:17 PM   #73
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Do a barrel roll!

Its obvious you haven't played SSB Brawl - I think he's the lamest character to fight against, especially that damn chain grab at the beginning of your stock.

Back on topic, Guybrush Threepwood is probably one of the funniest game characters I've ever seen XD.
Old 03-31-2011 at 03:14 PM   #74
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Who is your favourite video game character and why? Hero or villain, silent or expressed, famous or obscure. Anything goes.
You did include silent in the first post =P

Valve's characters are indeed very silent. And it lets you make you're own opinions of them! I remember in a final fantasy you started out as Vaan's brother and you are betrayed by Bashe's (Idk exact name) twin brother. Before the betrayal I thought he was awesome, then I immediately hated him... (kinda sticks out in my head idk why) where as when playing the game with silent characters for all you know they could be the evil ones and the zombies are nice, and only defending themselves... you never know = awesome.
Old 03-31-2011 at 07:13 PM   #75
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
The cast of Left 4 Dead probably aren't the best example, since they do speak here and there.

Let's go with a popular example: Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life series. For whatever reason, people are constantly praising him for being one of the best video game characters.

Here's the problem with silent characters:

Can you tell me what kind of person Gordon Freeman is?

What is his personality like?

What are his ambitions and motivations?

How would he act in X situation?

You can apply questions like these to any silent character, really. The answers you get from people are almost always going to be entirely different. Entirely subjective. Not an indication of a strong narrative....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J80KD4BG7M

You're welcome.