MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work with the Federal Government this Summer pedlark MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-15-2010 01:04 PM
Federal Government Selling CANDU Reactor Division Taunton Politics 10 12-20-2009 05:12 PM
Preliminary 2008 Federal Election Results lorend ARCHIVES 9 10-17-2008 07:24 PM
Canadian Federal Election lorend ARCHIVES 9 10-14-2008 07:54 PM

Federal Election - Which views are most like yours?

Old 03-27-2011 at 09:01 PM   #16
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Ignatieff is better than dion

Old 03-28-2011 at 05:58 AM   #17
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Hmm. I got Liberal from the website. A bit surprise myself...

They seems to be actively protesting against UBB though so perhaps its the right party to pick.
Old 03-28-2011 at 10:09 AM   #18
comte

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
Ignatieff is better than dion

I did like his name though, Stefan Dion. It sounds so cool to say out loud.

And I'm a liberal (which I knew) but some of my views were pretty close to Green (my fav colour too), what a deal, eh?
Old 04-14-2011 at 08:02 PM   #19
jmsaunders

Liked: 0 Times

only liberal and conservative have a chance of winning so all other votes are throw aways
Old 04-14-2011 at 08:21 PM   #20
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaunders View Post
only liberal and conservative have a chance of winning so all other votes are throw aways
-rolls eyes-

Not. At. All.

Voting for NPD, Green, etc will push the government further left than liberal, and signal neither status quo (Cons or Lib) is acceptable. Voting for further left or right parties is a classic example of a government undergoing rapid changes.

Plus, if you are interested in doing it, it can easy prevent a majority government, and hold the major two parties in check by splitting the vote. Otherwise, if we only had two parties, one would be guaranteed a majority every election.

Plus, it prevents the sort of gulf we see in the US, where the red and blues will have absolutely nothing to do with another at the moment. Voting for parties 3, 4 and 5 forces the major two to work with them, even if its not formally, and can help represent more Canadians (for example, a policy put together by the Greens and Liberals with probably sit further left than the usual Liberal line, and further right than the usual Green line, thereby "covering," at least partially, a greater number of ideologies that lie in between, whereas a pure Green policy is probably too left for the standard Liberal, and vice versa)

Plus Duceppe is a total badass.
Old 04-14-2011 at 08:42 PM   #21
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

wow, this is pretty neat. shared with all my friends on fb to encourage some active thinking

I'm liberal and farthest from conservative, but a lot of the questions really had me pondering whether I really knew the issues at hand or not >__<;;... so it looks like I have some homework to do before may 2nd in terms of research...
Old 04-14-2011 at 08:43 PM   #22
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

britb, Mahratta like this.
Old 04-14-2011 at 09:27 PM   #23
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
Know what else makes him awesome? Used to be a commie. lol. I seriously watched the translated French debate just to watch him kick ass.
Old 04-14-2011 at 09:58 PM   #24
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
-rolls eyes-

Not. At. All.

Voting for NPD, Green, etc will push the government further left than liberal, and signal neither status quo (Cons or Lib) is acceptable. Voting for further left or right parties is a classic example of a government undergoing rapid changes.

Plus, if you are interested in doing it, it can easy prevent a majority government, and hold the major two parties in check by splitting the vote. Otherwise, if we only had two parties, one would be guaranteed a majority every election.

Plus, it prevents the sort of gulf we see in the US, where the red and blues will have absolutely nothing to do with another at the moment. Voting for parties 3, 4 and 5 forces the major two to work with them, even if its not formally, and can help represent more Canadians (for example, a policy put together by the Greens and Liberals with probably sit further left than the usual Liberal line, and further right than the usual Green line, thereby "covering," at least partially, a greater number of ideologies that lie in between, whereas a pure Green policy is probably too left for the standard Liberal, and vice versa)

I agree with you generally on the importance of a true multiparty system, but I do think that there are some instances where strategic voting is justified, mainly attributable to the political constitution of ridings, etc.

Old 04-14-2011 at 10:00 PM   #25
AgentTMa

Liked: 3 Times

vote ndp, canada has many small businesees canadian-owned and ndp will give them more of a tax credit instead of the big companies mostly owned by foreign owners. this will allow the small and medium sized canadian companies prosper and grow.
Old 04-14-2011 at 10:53 PM   #26
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I agree with you generally on the importance of a true multiparty system, but I do think that there are some instances where strategic voting is justified, mainly attributable to the political constitution of ridings, etc.
For sure. I was just making the point that "only liberal and conservative have a chance of winning so all other votes are throw aways" is ridiculous, it seemed to suggest that there was never any reason ever to vote for outside the main two.
Old 04-14-2011 at 10:55 PM   #27
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

According to the quiz, I'm a liberal and the farthest away from conservative (no surprise there). And oddly enough many of my choices matched with the Bloc as well :S

But do any of you know what the parties' stances are on student issues? I know Iggy's planning on giving each uni student 4k but isn't that a bit unrealistic? Also, wouldn't that inevitably increase our tuition anyway?
Old 04-14-2011 at 11:15 PM   #28
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaunders View Post
while it is true that they are really the only parties with a strong chance of winning, voting for NDPs or Green could take away votes from the Liberals, resulting in another Harper minority (Due to 3 national left-based parties and only one right-based party). this could be seen as a positive thing though, unlike what most Liberals (at least the ones I've heard) have said. even if it a strong minority, there is still a good chance that Harper will be forced to conform to more Left-based policies than he is used to because he does not want to give up leadership. by this i mean that votes for NDP or Green are virtually "Sway votes" in the sense that, while a government on the left may not be chosen, a more balanced approach could theoretically be implemented.
Old 04-14-2011 at 11:40 PM   #29
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Know what else makes him awesome?
During the English debate:

"I would first like to congratulate Mr. Harper for answering a question from a citizen for the first time in this campaign."

britb likes this.
Old 04-14-2011 at 11:50 PM   #30
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
During the English debate:

"I would first like to congratulate Mr. Harper for answering a question from a citizen for the first time in this campaign."
Saw that; it was stupid and cheezy.

Ski Freak16 likes this.