MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Okay, so I feel like an idiot.. Olivia. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 03-08-2010 11:15 PM
How many hours of sleep per night do you need to feel refreshed? Kathy2 General Discussion 32 12-13-2009 05:28 PM
I feel so helpless. Please help. sad cypress General Discussion 8 07-14-2008 02:38 PM

Feel sad :( Don't know anyone

Old 09-10-2009 at 05:55 PM   #1
Myaccount

Liked: 3 Times

Feel sad :( Don't know anyone
I've read all the articles on meeting people, but I haven't met anyone. I've never been a person to go up to someone and talk to them, but I've been trying hard this week. I've been doing most of the events, even the ones that I thought I wouldn't do- like the one at the monday night social that's kind of like speed dating... I went to faculty day, and I'm missing faculty night- no one told me when or where it was, and by the time I found the thread here, it was too late :( I don't know anyone in my faculty.

I think this is because I've been sick so I've really not been putting myself out there as much as I should have been... But I've missed out on a chance here, during welcome week, and now everyone seems to have their own little groups and no one wants to meet me.

Do people make friends throughout the year, or once you have your friends, is that it? Is there any hope for me? I feel so alone :(
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:00 PM   #2
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Hey, I would love to get to know you
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:01 PM   #3
adrian
Elite Member

And don't worry you'll meet lots of other people during the years to come. Also, if you want, come tomorrow at 5:30pm to 1280, most MacInsiders will be there to take advantage of that discount(print coupon off one of the threads here).
Coupon: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2354 9

Chad, lorend like this.
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:03 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

same here...i would love to get to know you!!
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:03 PM   #5
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
same here...i would love to get to know you!!
dude, wait in line
also: copycat
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:05 PM   #6
adrian
Elite Member

also, have you got dc++ yet? if yes, start talking to people, I'm sure getogethers can be arranged.
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:05 PM   #7
Kevin

Liked: 1 Time

I would say I'd love to meet you in person...but you might think that's creepy
Old 09-10-2009 at 08:32 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I had the same problem last year, except I was in SOCS. I got to the meeting place, I think it was the first day of welcome week, and everyone was already in cliques. Intimidating to say the least. It's one thing to walk up to a person and introduce yourself, but to a whole group who will most likely look at you like you're an alien? Yeah, no thanks.

You'll meet people in your classes and tutorials, and if you get involved in clubs and other stuff, you'll meet people there as well. It's difficult I know, but just take it one day at a time. You've got all the time in the world really.
Old 09-10-2009 at 08:45 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

During the first week of university, I didn't go to any Welcome Week events and I didn't do anything except go to class, and I still met people. Talk to someone beside you in lecture before class starts. Don't worry, once tutorials and labs start up, you will meet lots of students.
Old 09-10-2009 at 09:10 PM   #10
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I had the same problem last year, except I was in SOCS. I got to the meeting place, I think it was the first day of welcome week, and everyone was already in cliques. Intimidating to say the least. It's one thing to walk up to a person and introduce yourself, but to a whole group who will most likely look at you like you're an alien? Yeah, no thanks.
I totally know what you mean. I'm SOCS and it was so hard to meet people this year. I missed half the events (due to ridicolous bus times that did not make any sense) and everyone else was in cliques already. I ended up meeting a lot of people but no where close to the amount of people I thought I would meet... and non of the people I met were even best-friend/long-term friendship material.

P.S. By ridicolous bus times, I mean: bus arriving to Mac at about 2 pm and departing at 8:20 pm
Old 09-10-2009 at 11:50 PM   #11
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Can I join you guys at 1280 tomorrow?
Old 09-10-2009 at 11:54 PM   #12
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

u make friends throughout the year bud. dont worry about it. I found that McMaster is a very friendly place, and people WILL not be rude in general. Just introduce urself to ppl ... its 1st year for u ... and so most of ur classes will have first years as well. So even if u introduce urself to them, it wont be 'random' or 'awkward'

Dont be shy! MAC is where i met my best of friends !!! =)
Old 09-11-2009 at 12:00 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Can I join you guys at 1280 tomorrow?
You don't have to ask...just show up!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Mowicz likes this.
Old 09-11-2009 at 12:03 AM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I wouldn't worry about missing out on faculty day.

The people who you meet in classes, labs, tutorials, res, and clubs tend to be people who you develop a deeper friendship with.
Old 09-11-2009 at 12:35 AM   #15
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I wouldn't worry about missing out on faculty day.

The people who you meet in classes, labs, tutorials, res, and clubs tend to be people who you develop a deeper friendship with.
Exactly!

When I came to Mac; For me it wasn't just coming to a new university environment. I came here from a third world country with a completely different culture and plus because of a long story I had to live off campus. Welcome Week for me wasn't fun at all; it was a culture shock extraordinare!

I think I'm doing okay by now; but you have to take initiative....being SOCS you can fall to the "commuter kid syndrome"(A student who just comes to class and goes home and has no campus involvement and pride) so just get out there and start joining clubs and attending meetings...you will feel out of place but by the second meeting they will accept you....welcome week isn't the bestest time to meet new people....everyone is soo overwhelmed and all the events are completely over the top and loud....cheering going on....its not the perfect environment sooo its not really your fault! Just hang in there and keep trying! Just remember there are hundreds of people in your exact predicament!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13