MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Okay, so I feel like an idiot.. Olivia. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 03-08-2010 11:15 PM
How many hours of sleep per night do you need to feel refreshed? Kathy2 General Discussion 32 12-13-2009 05:28 PM
I feel so helpless. Please help. sad cypress General Discussion 8 07-14-2008 02:38 PM

Feel sad :( Don't know anyone

Old 09-11-2009 at 12:53 AM   #16
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't worry Sarah (Myaccount)...I know exactly what you're going through. It's always tough...personally, I'm a new graduate student and I now have to break down barriers and socialize with *gasp* professors :( I'm having a very hard time of it all...but it just goes to show you, I've been at Mac for 4 years now, and I'm still having trouble...it's not always easy.

But don't give up, there are many opportunities to meet people. (: Definitely, if you see this come to 1280 tomorrow. I'll be in attendance, along with many of the other infamous Macinsiders! (Also be sure to let us know a little about yourself...your profile is blank! What program are you in? (: )

To Paul (VastHorizon): Same story, please come tomorrow at 5:30 if you're available. (:

Last edited by Mowicz : 09-11-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2009 at 12:55 AM   #17
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Will try to, Mike! I hope to see you guys there!

EDIT: Will the usual $8 cover be charged?

Last edited by VastHorizon : 09-11-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2009 at 01:08 AM   #18
Mowicz
Elite Member

I'm not 100% sure since I haven't been to 1280 yet, but I don't think there will be a cover charge since there isn't an event going on when we plan to meet (to the best of my knowledge).

Can anyone confirm?
Old 09-11-2009 at 01:26 AM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Will try to, Mike! I hope to see you guys there!

EDIT: Will the usual $8 cover be charged?
I don't think there is charge for anything other then Thursday and Saturday club nights!

There is free entry for normal day timings as well as any other night apart from Thursday and Saturday!

It is a "Restolounge" lol

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-11-2009 at 07:50 AM   #20
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Most of my close friends from last year are people I met over DC++... =/
Old 09-11-2009 at 08:09 AM   #21
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Hm....you'll make friends over time. Like for instance, i only know 2ppl here that came from my old school, yet because were in different rez's so we dont talk much. Atm, i wouldnt say i have friends cause i really just talk to random ppl then never see them again. I guess once class starts and you start seeing the same ppl every few days, it will be easier to make friends.
Old 09-11-2009 at 02:56 PM   #22
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

I met a few MacInsiders in classes.
Old 09-11-2009 at 03:25 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I would love to get to know you too! Come to the getotgether at 1280 tonight at 5:30 PM and meet all the awesome people of MI ! Also, I'm going with a few MI people from Moulton, so we can meet you somewhere if you'd like
Old 09-11-2009 at 03:28 PM   #24
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Don't feel bad. I only know 1 person so far, and she's a loser. I may or may not be talking about you, LOLLIPOP.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 09-11-2009 at 07:35 PM   #25
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Y'all should come to the next MacInsiders meet-up and meet some cool peeps!
Old 09-11-2009 at 07:44 PM   #26
Myaccount

Liked: 3 Times

I missed the Macinsiders meeting because I was out with a FRIEND.

That takes me to two, both of whom are gone for the weekend. I AM SO LAME, lmao, I cant wait for the rest of my classes and tutorials!!
Old 09-11-2009 at 07:48 PM   #27
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaccount View Post
I've read all the articles on meeting people, but I haven't met anyone. I've never been a person to go up to someone and talk to them, but I've been trying hard this week. I've been doing most of the events, even the ones that I thought I wouldn't do- like the one at the monday night social that's kind of like speed dating... I went to faculty day, and I'm missing faculty night- no one told me when or where it was, and by the time I found the thread here, it was too late :( I don't know anyone in my faculty.

I think this is because I've been sick so I've really not been putting myself out there as much as I should have been... But I've missed out on a chance here, during welcome week, and now everyone seems to have their own little groups and no one wants to meet me.

Do people make friends throughout the year, or once you have your friends, is that it? Is there any hope for me? I feel so alone :(
Honestly, I was super awkward and loser-ish when I was in first year. I've come a long way but I have a ton of friends now. If you're in residence honestly it's a bit easier. It's pretty awkward at first-- at least it was for me. You're thrown into this situation with people you don't know and you're supposed to be their friends. It's not that easy. Talk to a CA or your IRC reps and let them know how you feel. If worse comes to worse, message me and I'll introduce you to people. Let me know what building you're in and I probably know a bunch of cool people there for you to meet. Don't go home on weekends it's soooooo hard not to do but don't do it. You will regret it. I promise you, it DOES get easier. I say that because I absolutely HATED first year and now I'm in fourth year and don't want to leave.

rrtt, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 09-11-2009 at 08:14 PM   #28
Kathy2
Elite Member

The friends I have now in my fourth year of university are those who I didn't even meet until term 2 of first year and later in second year.
I just started chatting with one girl beside me in a lecture. The next class I sat with her, she introduced me to her friends, and their friends.. etc.

In tutorials, everyone will have to introduce themselves. That will make it easier, because when you go back to lecture you can say "Hey, aren't you in my tutorial for this class?" and go from there
Old 09-11-2009 at 08:36 PM   #29
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

There are many ways to meet people, and the best way I've found is to get involved in clubs, societies, and the MSU. These are the friends that I find last a lifetime because the things you talk with them about are usually non-academic related as most of these people won't be in your class or even your faculty, they'll be people you work with and get to know through extra curricular activities. SOCS, Maroons, helping with conferences like Horizons and CLAY, getting involved as a volunteer or staff with Campus Events, working on campus with great teams like UTS (University Technology Services), faculty societies like the McMaster Humanities Society, ... these are places I met some of the best people I know.

And the MacInsiders community is always here for you. There are a few things you can do:

1) Use our Classmate Connector feature. It's buried so most people don't know about it, but you can use it to find other MacInsiders users that are in the same faculty or program as you (if they filled it in on their profile). Then private message them, invite them to meet with you. Chat with them.

2) Come join us for our MacInsiders Member Social on September 19th at Boston Pizza! Details TBA.

rrtt likes this.
Old 09-11-2009 at 09:15 PM   #30
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Don't feel bad. I only know 1 person so far, and she's a loser. I may or may not be talking about you, LOLLIPOP.
Better not be about me, or I'll fight you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
There are many ways to meet people, and the best way I've found is to get involved in clubs, societies, and the MSU. These are the friends that I find last a lifetime because the things you talk with them about are usually non-academic related as most of these people won't be in your class or even your faculty, they'll be people you work with and get to know through extra curricular activities. SOCS, Maroons, helping with conferences like Horizons and CLAY, getting involved as a volunteer or staff with Campus Events, working on campus with great teams like UTS (University Technology Services), faculty societies like the McMaster Humanities Society, ... these are places I met some of the best people I know.

And the MacInsiders community is always here for you. There are a few things you can do:

1) Use our Classmate Connector feature. It's buried so most people don't know about it, but you can use it to find other MacInsiders users that are in the same faculty or program as you (if they filled it in on their profile). Then private message them, invite them to meet with you. Chat with them.

2) Come join us for our MacInsiders Member Social on September 19th at Boston Pizza! Details TBA.
Except for me. You met me because I'm awesome and not due to any of the above!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement