MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do courses not round up final mark? jake0405 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-25-2013 07:40 PM
final mark MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-03-2012 10:57 AM
Fixing an incorrect final mark? Alchemist11 Academics 8 04-26-2012 01:50 PM
contacting the prof regarding final mark epikness Academics 6 05-22-2011 12:55 PM
If my final mark is... Mac12 Academics 15 04-22-2011 04:31 PM

Final Mark!!

Old 05-05-2015 at 10:26 AM   #1
alwanw

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Final Mark!!
Hello Everyone
For one of my courses, all the marks for the assignments, attendance, and the exam mark were inputted on avenue, and that way I could calculate my final mark
However the final mark itself is not up on Mosaic!
After adding the marks up, I got a "79.95%"!!!!! Just 0.05% away from an 80%!!!
It would be such a loss of I get a B+ (9) because of that :( :( I want an A- (10) :'(
do you think they would round it up??? its sooo close to an 80
Old 05-05-2015 at 10:52 AM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Ugggh.

I hope not.

You get what you get.

What's the end game of getting a 10 versus a 9?

This is so extremely reflective of people coming into University these days... You get what you get.

starfish, vampin19xx like this.
Old 05-05-2015 at 10:53 AM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Did Mosaic give you your grade already? If not, the system will not round up unless your prof decides to round you up. If the prof leaves it as is and if you calculated right, then yes it would be a 9
Old 05-05-2015 at 11:54 AM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwanw View Post
Hello Everyone
For one of my courses, all the marks for the assignments, attendance, and the exam mark were inputted on avenue, and that way I could calculate my final mark
However the final mark itself is not up on Mosaic!
After adding the marks up, I got a "79.95%"!!!!! Just 0.05% away from an 80%!!!
It would be such a loss of I get a B+ (9) because of that :( :( I want an A- (10) :'(
do you think they would round it up??? its sooo close to an 80
How is it a loss if you get what you earned? If you wanted an A-, you should have put in more work to get the minimum grade which corresponds with an A-. As has already been said though, why do you care about the difference between a 9 and 10 when it comes to your Cumulative GPA? The affect this will have on your average is minor to say the least.
Old 05-05-2015 at 01:39 PM   #5
Pendragon

Liked: 2 Times

Jesus Christ, it's a 79.95 just let the dude try to get it bumped already. There is a huge difference GPA wise (for graduate and professional schools) between a B+ and an A- and the person is only 0.05% away from the next grade. A B+ is translated to a 3.3 and an A- a 3.7 on the 4.0 scale.
Old 05-05-2015 at 01:42 PM   #6
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Jesus Christ, it's a 79.95 just let the dude try to get it bumped already. There is a huge difference GPA wise (for graduate and professional schools) between a B+ and an A- and the person is only 0.05% away from the next grade. A B+ is translated to a 3.3 and an A- a 3.7 on the 4.0 scale.
The key point of your statement is "0.05% AWAY". No one here is saying the student can't try to get their mark boosted. We are just saying based off of their performance, there is no reason that the professor SHOULD bump their mark, that is not to say that they wont.

starfish likes this.
Old 05-05-2015 at 01:44 PM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Jesus Christ, it's a 79.95 just let the dude try to get it bumped already. There is a huge difference GPA wise between a B+ and an A- and the person is only 0.05% away from the next grade.
There isn't actually a big difference. Build an excel spreadsheet that takes in all the marks over 2, 3, or 4 years, and spits out your GPA, and you learn really quickly how insignificant even a single 0 can be... We're talking about the difference between a 9 and a 10, which will be even less significant. (If you take 100 credits in 4 years, one course is worth 3% of that, and if the whole difference between 9 and 10 is 3%, then you have a total impact of 0.09%...)

2Dream likes this.
Old 05-05-2015 at 01:50 PM   #8
Pendragon

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
There isn't actually a big difference. Build an excel spreadsheet that takes in all the marks over 2, 3, or 4 years, and spits out your GPA, and you learn really quickly how insignificant even a single 0 can be... We're talking about the difference between a 9 and a 10, which will be even less significant. (If you take 100 credits in 4 years, one course is worth 3% of that, and if the whole difference between 9 and 10 is 3%, then you have a total impact of 0.09%...)
On Mac's GPA scale it definitely is minor but when you apply for graduate and professional schools they don't use Mac's scale, they use the 4.0 scale. A B+ grade for other schools is a 3.3, while an A- is a 3.7. If this is a full-year course it is significant.

I don't know, most of my profs would automatically bump a 79.5 to the next letter grade but I suppose they aren't obligated to do this. I would still encourage the OP to try to though if they are planning on applying to any graduate school programs.
Old 05-05-2015 at 01:57 PM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

It's the principle of fighting for a grade that you didn't get, too.

BUt once again --- It's insignificant. Even if it's a full year course (assume 6-credit), then it's 6 credits out of 100 (6%) and a difference of 3% there --- so 0.18% of your cumulative average; and that's a conservative estimate, since I believe most degrees require more than 100 credits. 12-Point grade scale or 4 point grade scale --- it's nothing.
Old 05-05-2015 at 04:53 PM   #10
alwanw

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Well at the end of the day I did get an A-!! Thanks for all the positive and negative comments!!
Cheers!

jim1, Pendragon like this.
Old 05-06-2015 at 07:39 AM   #11
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwanw View Post
Well at the end of the day I did get an A-!! Thanks for all the positive and negative comments!!
Cheers!
Negative comments? We were telling it to you straight that the professor is under no obligation to accommodate your request. Congrats on your mark, now you know for next time to apply yourself more!
See, i can make a subtle insult inside a compliment just like you