MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year B. Tech blackholes Introduce Yourself 4 09-06-2011 03:51 PM
Soon to be College student arsh231 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-04-2011 08:20 PM
Tutoring for College and University student ~*Sara*~ Academics 0 05-08-2011 12:27 PM

First year B.tech student looking to go to college

Old 09-24-2013 at 06:54 PM   #1
Spthomas

Liked: 1 Time

First year B.tech student looking to go to college
Hello Everyone, I am in B.tech Process Automation

Even though we are about 2.5 weeks into the semester; I am feeling after doing heavy research to go into a college program for automation manufacturing, I had no problem in high-school with a heavy work load + a part time job and being involved in mountain bike racing; but things this time around after I took 8 months off working full time are not working out. I'm getting things done, but I feel like after looking forward into my future classes that I would prefer even more hands on for the automation manufacturing market. In high-school I was apart of FIRST robotics and a manufacturing class as well (Teaching PLC programming on Allen-Bradley and Omron, plus designing and building automated machines ) I loved it, it was exactly what I was looking for; I assumed since I was also okay (81% average) at Physics, Chem, Calc, etc I would be a natural for B.tech.

That doesn't seem to be the case though, super-expensive tuition compared to say Conestoga college (about half that of B.tech) and what really bugs me is the inconstancy of teaching rates in the math professors, my professor teaches at a million letters a minute; and yet I know some guys who are hardly even halfway through the modules and the first test is tomorrow!

So I would like to know if anyone has done this; and how did they go about it and handle it? I would leave Mac, work full-time again while staying up to date on school and go to Conestoga for their Mechanical engineering in automated manufacturing program(Also in my home-town)

I did some digging around, and speaking to some Alumni in both B.Eng and B.Tech and many of their co-workers are just college technicians that have proven after a very similar amount of time in the workforce that they are as valuable as an engineer, another point is that my dad is a R&D project manager at Com-dev from working up the ranks where he has a diploma for telecommunications and technology from Conestoga. It just makes more sense to me to get the skills in a specific company to be better at exactly what they do, rather than getting a degree that paints a huge brush and fires you hot into a job that you many not be ready for (Even with Co-op).

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Steve
Old 09-24-2013 at 09:47 PM   #2
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Steve,

I recommend checking into Humber College as well, their electromechanical engineering program is solid when it comes to learning PLCs. I have competed against them and they always come out 1st place. Conestoga has also competed and they came in either third or fourth. As a PLC programmer in the competition, we made it in second place due to Humber's competitive edge. Check out OTSC and Humber if you want more information.

There is nothing wrong going down the "hands-on" approach, I have done it myself and it was one of the most rewarding experience. To get the foot in the door in the manufacturing sector as an engineer with automation specialization, I pursued a degree in EE on top of my ME diploma. It is not an easy journey, if you remain in B.Tech, you will have an opportunity to have some hands on work to fulfill the diploma requirement. After that, you'll get your B.Tech degree. Do keep in mind, it will be much more difficult to become an engineer if you go down this path -- it's doable however!

Good luck in whatever decision you make. I have gone through exactly what you have gone through. Just follow your instincts and you'll be just fine.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions.

Last edited by Bhaltair : 09-24-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2013 at 05:07 AM   #3
lindade
Account Locked

Liked: 0 Times

You have to take a decision which will not affect on your studies. If you have completed the portions you can enjoy it.