MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clarification of "1 year of Physics with labs" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-26-2010 12:08 PM
What does it mean by... "One full-year Academic Class." Sintos Academics 14 06-03-2010 08:52 PM
SRA Google Apps & Cloud Computing Project Open Wiki Invitation huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 9 02-21-2010 01:53 AM
First Year Council: Please vote "The A-Team" Nosh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-30-2009 07:07 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

First Year Council "Working Survey" Wiki/Edit it, Open invitation!

Old 04-27-2009 at 06:38 PM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

First Year Council "Working Survey" Wiki/Edit it, Open invitation!
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http... 1cf6c7e4dae28

First year council: Education and Community Questionnaire

Alrighty soo heres the deal, In my election platform I promised that my survey would include student input, I am almost done with it but at the same time I realize that I am just one of the 2600-3000+ First year students we have at McMaster. There might be other students(current first years as well as upper year students) who might be able to bring another perspective to the table. So before I go all out and make it official I'm making this note with open invitation to ANYONE to put their input preferably via this note or to my Fb mail and I will most likely add/edit my current format!

Thanks!

-Huzaifa

p.s: You can reply here, OR prefferably on the facebook note since I feel that is the stronger/more influential collaborative medium.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Education

Faculty of Social Sciences (These will be null and void ASAP)
Question #1: Why did you choose to study Social Sciences at McMaster?

Question #2: Please rank your satisfaction with the quality of education in Social Sciences,
10 being exceptional and 1 being unsatisfactory

Question #3: Is there enough diversity in courses in Social Sciences

Faculty of Humanities:
Question #1: Are you aware that sessional lecturers teach many humanities courses? .

Question #2: Do you feel that sessional lecturers have had a positive or negative effect on
your education, especially in regards to your progress and intellectual development by the time you graduate?

Question #3: In your one year at Mac do you as a humanities student feel undervalued by the administration? The resources, Lecture halls and so on: Are they satisfactory enough compared to other faculties?

Faculty of Science

Question #1: Do you feel that Quality of Teaching is a large factor in your understanding of
the material taught?

Question #2: Are professors and teaching assistants satisfactory in their knowledge and
ability to teach?

Faculty of Artsci

Question #1: Is there adequate academic/career/future counselling available to you? Do
you know how to get it?

Question #2: Can you get into the NonArtSci courses you want to? Which ones do you have a problem with?

Question #4: Did your high school classes adequately prepare you for Calculus and Physics?

Question #5: Are there any subjects missing from the Arts & Science curriculum?

Faculty of Engineering
Question #1: Do you feel that quality of teaching is a large factor in your understanding of
the material taught?

Question #2: Are your professors and teaching assistants satisfactory in their knowledge
and ability to teach? (Please rate, 5 being excellent, 1 being unsatisfactory)

Question #3: Do you feel that your degree will prepare you for future endeavours?
(Education/Employment)

Faculty of Commerce
Question #1: How well prepared were you entering commerce level II from Business level I?
(Please Rate, 1 = completely unprepared, 10= completely prepared)

Question #2: Do you want to be taking more Commerce courses in Business Level I?.

Question #3: How satisfied are you with the level of engagement you have with the
DeGroote School of Business in Business Level I? (1 = extremely unsatisfied, 10 = extremely satisfied) Please explain.

Faculty of Nursing
Question #1: Are you being taught in ways that best facilitate your own learning? What
could the faculty of Nursing be doing to teach you better?

Question #2: Are you satisfied with the size of your PBL and Clinical classes? Are there
classes that are currently small group that you think should be big lecture, or vice versa?

Question # 3: I heard recently from the Nursing SRA members that Nurses Do NOT have the time to participate in ANY extracurricular. Do you find that to be true? Do you think it affects your overall satisfaction and involvement within the McMaster Community as well as your transition into it?

Faculty of Kinesiology
Question #1: Do you feel that the range of classes offered by the Kinesiology department
Adequately cover the range of topics under the study of the human body and movement?
Please explain.

Question #2: Are the professors in the Department of Kinesiology effective teachers? Do you
feel that some professors are not teaching their field of expertise?

Bachelor of Health Sciences
Question # 1: Do you feel "privileged" by the Administration in any regards compared to students from other faculties in all honesty?

Question #2: Do you feel this program has broadened your horizons for future job Possibilities? Please explain
Question #3: Do you feel the expectations of professors who teach BHSc courses are too high?

Courses:
Q1:What were your two favourite courses at McMaster and why? (Provide details if necessary)

Q2: What were your Two least favourite courses or in other words courses in which you felt you weren't receiving adequate "Educational and learning" experience (Note: There could be a myriad of reasons, we are trying to find courses where a majority of students are suffering due to an issue that can be solved short term.)

Community and Recreation(Special thanks to Dayna Walker from Socs.)

- Are you happy with the level of familiarity you have with Hamilton? (You'd have a scale of 1 being not-happy to 10 being very happy, maybe. This would gauge whether they want more opportunities to get to know Hamilton, or whether they need more support in this area.)

- If you are currently renting off-campus, are you content with the level of support that McMaster offers you, through the OCRC (Off-Campus Resource Centre), SOCS (Society of Off-Campus Students), and SCSN (Student Community Support Network)?
(Again, they would rank it 1 through 10)

- If you are commuting to campus (whether by Go bus, HSR, car, or otherwise), do you feel like McMaster offers you enough services and support? (I suppose that this one would be less community based, but more focused on whether people who live off-campus are getting all that they need from it. May or may not be relevant, up to you.)

- Do you feel like Hamilton is a city you would consider living in post-grad?
(This may be a question that is too soon to ask to many first years, but it is a hugely relevant question to McMaster and the Hamilton area right now.)

- If you lived on-campus this year, do you feel well-equipped enough to live off campus next year? This includes knowing what resources are available for your use through OCRC, SCSN, and SOCS.

Then it might be worth-while to have some fill-in sections, where people can write in specific answers. Like, "Was there anything McMaster failed to offer you with regards to community? [Community support, landlord/rental help, adequate social endeavors etc.]

Residence Experience

*This slot is absoultely empty* :(
I'm hoping to contact IRC or something but, oh well :S

Clubs And Athletics

-How many official MSU Clubs and Intramural teams were you part of this year? How did they help your transition into McMaster and how important do you think they are for your "learning experience”?

-How many Varsity Games(Free and ticketed) did you attend this year? Do you feel "attachment" to certain teams and a sense of "Pride" upon their OUA successes?(ie: Rugby, Baseball, Volleyball etc)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13