MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

How is first year going for you?

Old 10-11-2009 at 03:54 PM   #1
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

How is first year going for you?
I don't know about you, but a lot of things from uni are getting me really frustrated.

The class that I enjoy so much and look forward to (Psych) has the most boring TA ever! He is so dry and he makes everyone go to sleep. I really hate it so much!

The online psych quizes are getting on everyone's last nerve. The psych discussion board seems to be filled with angry messages after a quiz's marks are released. And I don't blame the angry mob one bit. There are always technical problems with ELM, questions from a different test bank are constantly appearing on the psych quizzes... and in addition, the psych quizzes are EXTREMELY difficult! You could watch the online modules like 3 times and that would still not make a difference towards your mark.

Chem 1A03 is taught the wrong way. We started the year off with chapter 8 ... which Waterloo life sci starts off with chapter 1 (they have the same book). There are so many people in class who have never learned what we're learning in chemistry right now (even though it should be review)... so we clearly need to start with chapter 1. Skipping 7 chapters is just ridicolous.

The online notes that the prof. posts are ridicolous (they contain about 1 line about each topic). I know we're supposed to write our notes too but sometimes I have no time to write such extensive notes. Reading the textbook is a real *****! Half the stuff on there is irrelevant to the online notes that the prof. posts and he even told us that "reading the textbook might not give u a really good understanding of the material, but try your best".

My math prof. Dr. eftimie has no speaking skills.... she "umm's" her way through the 50 min. lecture and leaves everybody confused at the end. You basically have to self teach yourself which is not a very pleasant thing with math.

I'm basically second guessing this whole Life Sci thing and I'm considering dropping out (I can forsure handle the material... but I for sure don't want to deal with all this bull$h*t).

/End rant.

So how is your first year going?
Old 10-11-2009 at 04:03 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I switched out of psychology to avoid that online hassle. I agree with you on some of your chemistry bit - what we're taught is most definitely not in-depth enough. The textbook is a great read, but we rarely use it. In addition, they gloss over a lot of stuff - for example, we just go straight to using quantum numbers (something we did in highschool too) without learning how wavefunctions answer Schrodinger's equation. Perhaps this is to make the course lighter, but I'd personally rather have a heavier courseload and actually understand why something works in the manner it does.

As for Calculus, what are you taking? 1A03 is really simple right now, and my professor (Dr. Lozinski) is really good. If you talk to him about other math outside of class, he's really helpful (especially with some of the stuff we cover in 1AA3). I've also got bio 1M03, a history course and linguistics. My history professor (Dr. Mukharji) is also great, he gives us a lot of reading, but we really do learn a lot. As of now, Linguistics is basically just memory work, so that's not particularly interesting, although the differences in sounds in different languages is something that's always interested me. Bio 1M03 is great now too, probably because Dr. Dushoff is amazing - the TAs seem really eager, but it's almost like they're seeing the material for the first time, though...

Last edited by Mahratta : 10-11-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2009 at 04:17 PM   #3
IbrahimH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I switched out of psychology to avoid that online hassle. I agree with you on some of your chemistry bit - what we're taught is most definitely not in-depth enough. The textbook is a great read, but we rarely use it. In addition, they gloss over a lot of stuff - for example, we just go straight to using quantum numbers (something we did in highschool too) without learning how wavefunctions answer Schrodinger's equation. Perhaps this is to make the course lighter, but I'd personally rather have a heavier courseload and actually understand why something works in the manner it does.

As for Calculus, what are you taking? 1A03 is really simple right now, and my professor (Dr. Lozinski) is really good. If you talk to him about other math outside of class, he's really helpful (especially with some of the stuff we cover in 1AA3). I've also got bio 1M03, a history course and linguistics. My history professor (Dr. Mukharji) is also great, he gives us a lot of reading, but we really do learn a lot. As of now, Linguistics is basically just memory work, so that's not particularly interesting, although the differences in sounds in different languages is something that's always interested me. Bio 1M03 is great now too, probably because Dr. Dushoff is amazing - the TAs seem really eager, but it's almost like they're seeing the material for the first time, though...
Yea I have Bio 1A03 and it's going pretty good for me. I love Dr. Kajiura... she's probably the only prof that's makes me eager to go to class.

I have math 1LS3 it's easy and everything but my prof is not even fit to be a supply teacher! She has no idea what she's talking about and she can't even answer people's simple questions.

I totally agree with you about chem. Every single person in my chem class that i have talked to so far says that they are confused. Like you said, a heavy workload and the understanding of the material is DEFINETLY a better combo than a lighter workload and material that is very shallow and not detailed enough.
Old 10-11-2009 at 04:36 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimH View Post
There are so many people in class who have never learned what we're learning in chemistry right now (even though it should be review)... so we clearly need to start with chapter 1. Skipping 7 chapters is just ridicolous.
That isn't Mac's fault. It's the same for every first year program: certain high schools prepare their students adequately (or better) for first year university...but most don't.

Those who were taught well are bored, those who weren't have to play catch up.

Mac is teaching based on what should be assumed knowledge. That's why so many people struggle in first year: their high school's standards were not high and so they get screwed coming to university.

The only way this could really be solved is if the government instituted some kind of standardized testing procedure for all academic areas either at the end of grade 11 or 12.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-11-2009 at 04:40 PM   #5
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Dr. Kim likes to ask application questions on his quizes rather than questions that can be solve through straight memorization. It might not seem like you can answer his questions with the lecture material, but if you take the time to try to relate what you've learnt to a new scenario I'm sure you'll find more success with the quizes.
Old 10-11-2009 at 04:44 PM   #6
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Whoa. Well I didn't have psych quizzes first year and I had a good calc and chem profs. But ... I wouldn't consider dropping out of life sci so quick. Give it some more time. I enjoy the second year science courses way more than the first year courses. Is there some other program you want to get into?

As for chemistry, don't they have that help centre in thode or something?
I found the textbook to be pretty useful actually, but it seems the course has changed a bit since everyone seems to be complaining about it.

And the psych quizzes might help you prepare better for the midterms because there are some tricky questions on the midterm and exam.
Old 10-11-2009 at 05:14 PM   #7
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

I felt the same way as you in first year! My average dropped by over 20% (from a high 90 to a mid 70), and I felt like an idiot for an entire year. I had never done so badly in my life! (I was in Science I .. we didn't have first year split into Life Science and other branches yet).

I agree with above posters .. blame your high school teachers. I actually feel that I worked very hard in high school, but I still didn't feel prepared enough in university, same with everybody else who came from my same high school. My teachers would just "not feel like" teaching a chapter or two and so I had a lot of gaps in my chem knowledge. I went from a 97 in physics and one of the best physics marks in the school board, to VERY BARELY passing first year physics.

I don't have much good advice for you though .. because I struggled, hated life, contemplated dropping out, but things got WAY better in second term! It's pretty much all about catching up, this is the hardest year (in my opinion), and once you get past this obstacle, you'll be on a level playing field as everybody else. If anything, in second year, people who had basically breezed through first year started having difficulty since they weren't used to actually having to learn completely new material and apply themselves, whereas the people who struggled in first year already knew how to get help, and were better at using time effectively to deal with difficult material. That's just my experience though.

Anyway my point is .. I don't have any good advice for you since the same thing happened to me .. but just stick with it! It WILL get better =) and yeah psych is fun and interesting but it takes a while to get used to his application-style questions.

Equinox likes this.
Old 10-11-2009 at 05:25 PM   #8
IbrahimH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
I felt the same way as you in first year! My average dropped by over 20% (from a high 90 to a mid 70), and I felt like an idiot for an entire year. I had never done so badly in my life! (I was in Science I .. we didn't have first year split into Life Science and other branches yet).

I agree with above posters .. blame your high school teachers. I actually feel that I worked very hard in high school, but I still didn't feel prepared enough in university, same with everybody else who came from my same high school. My teachers would just "not feel like" teaching a chapter or two and so I had a lot of gaps in my chem knowledge. I went from a 97 in physics and one of the best physics marks in the school board, to VERY BARELY passing first year physics.

I don't have much good advice for you though .. because I struggled, hated life, contemplated dropping out, but things got WAY better in second term! It's pretty much all about catching up, this is the hardest year (in my opinion), and once you get past this obstacle, you'll be on a level playing field as everybody else. If anything, in second year, people who had basically breezed through first year started having difficulty since they weren't used to actually having to learn completely new material and apply themselves, whereas the people who struggled in first year already knew how to get help, and were better at using time effectively to deal with difficult material. That's just my experience though.

Anyway my point is .. I don't have any good advice for you since the same thing happened to me .. but just stick with it! It WILL get better =) and yeah psych is fun and interesting but it takes a while to get used to his application-style questions.
High 90s to mid 70s? Ouch. Kudos to you for staying put together because I think I would've started cutting myself or something! Thank you for your post... it's nice to know that I'm not the first one to go through this and that other people have experienced this as well. You give me hope lol. Hopefully 2nd term does get better!!!
Old 10-11-2009 at 05:37 PM   #9
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
High 90s to mid 70s? Ouch. Kudos to you for staying put together because I think I would've started cutting myself or something!
Well that's a little harsh of you to say...

A 20% drop really isn't that much, especially if you have a high 90's average from high school. Most people I know dropped anywhere from 10-40% in their first year, so I wouldn't go crazy if your marks seem low.
Old 10-11-2009 at 05:49 PM   #10
IbrahimH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Well that's a little harsh of you to say...

A 20% drop really isn't that much, especially if you have a high 90's average from high school. Most people I know dropped anywhere from 10-40% in their first year, so I wouldn't go crazy if your marks seem low.
harsh of me? Don't make me look like a bad person here...
I'm sure that everyone would be upset if their mark dropped... even if it was a 5% drop.
Old 10-11-2009 at 06:34 PM   #11
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

for my first year chem (1E03) I found out it way too easy. It seemed like grade 12 chem all over again for me without the hydrocarbons. On the other end, my gr 12 chem class got demolished.

There are a few courses that bore me to hell (leading me to skip classes) and most of it is just because some of the material is purely common sense..(ENG MGT 2aa2!). You just gotta put your head down and go through it

As for the mark drop, my average dropped about 15%, and I could still careless because I got into my program and its university so its meant to be harder.
Old 10-11-2009 at 06:35 PM   #12
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
harsh of me? Don't make me look like a bad person here...
I'm sure that everyone would be upset if their mark dropped... even if it was a 5% drop.
I'm not trying to make you out as a bad person, I'm trying to suggest that you should show more sensitivity in your comments. You make it seem like self-mutilation is an expected response to dropping 20%.

Sure nobody likes to see their marks drop but it's a reality that the vast majority of first year students are going to experience.
Old 10-11-2009 at 06:49 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Sure nobody likes to see their marks drop but it's a reality that the vast majority of first year students are going to experience.
Indeed, a 10-20% drop is expected and more or less normative from high school to university. I know very few people who have kept up their high school average while in university.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-11-2009 at 07:48 PM   #14
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Still truckin'...

AnguishedEnd likes this.
Old 10-11-2009 at 07:56 PM   #15
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
I don't know about you, but a lot of things from uni are getting me really frustrated.

The class that I enjoy so much and look forward to (Psych) has the most boring TA ever! He is so dry and he makes everyone go to sleep. I really hate it so much!

The online psych quizes are getting on everyone's last nerve. The psych discussion board seems to be filled with angry messages after a quiz's marks are released. And I don't blame the angry mob one bit. There are always technical problems with ELM, questions from a different test bank are constantly appearing on the psych quizzes... and in addition, the psych quizzes are EXTREMELY difficult! You could watch the online modules like 3 times and that would still not make a difference towards your mark.

Chem 1A03 is taught the wrong way. We started the year off with chapter 8 ... which Waterloo life sci starts off with chapter 1 (they have the same book). There are so many people in class who have never learned what we're learning in chemistry right now (even though it should be review)... so we clearly need to start with chapter 1. Skipping 7 chapters is just ridicolous.

The online notes that the prof. posts are ridicolous (they contain about 1 line about each topic). I know we're supposed to write our notes too but sometimes I have no time to write such extensive notes. Reading the textbook is a real *****! Half the stuff on there is irrelevant to the online notes that the prof. posts and he even told us that "reading the textbook might not give u a really good understanding of the material, but try your best".

My math prof. Dr. eftimie has no speaking skills.... she "umm's" her way through the 50 min. lecture and leaves everybody confused at the end. You basically have to self teach yourself which is not a very pleasant thing with math.

I'm basically second guessing this whole Life Sci thing and I'm considering dropping out (I can forsure handle the material... but I for sure don't want to deal with all this bull$h*t).

/End rant.

So how is your first year going?
Hey,
I am currently in Chem 1A03 and have gone to one of the lectures of Math 1LS3. I certainly do not think starting with chapter 8 isn't wrong. Why does one have to always start with chapter 1? I have seen many teachers starting with another chapter back in high school, because they thought things would make better sense with the knowledge later. Just because it does not fit your taste, it's not 'wrong'. Also I don't think it's right to compare ourselves with waterloo, because they simply have a different environment, profs, etc.
Math 1LS3 didn't appear hard at all.. especially if you have taken math in high school. They teach you unit conversions (which you are probably familiar with from sciences) as a chapter. I heard you guys were learning functions like exponential functions, etc right now... which is simply a repetition of grade 11 math or even grade 9 math. You shouldn't have many problems with learning them yourself. Well, I agree that your prof is terrible. She is talented at making simple stuff rocket science.. but the material isn't too hard..

I am sorry if I was being cocky.... or anything. I just wanted to share my thoughts.