MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

How is first year going for you?

Old 10-22-2009 at 01:34 AM   #31
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
ok, so first wave of midterms are just about done
I haven't even had my first one yet o_o
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:56 AM   #32
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
i did absolutely horrible on my chem and bio midterm and im just wondering if its too late to boost my mark up to at least a 10 ?
Anything is possible if you continue to work hard. (:

Giving a tangible answer is difficult since I don't know how much the midterms were worth, how badly you anticipate you did, etc.

But I'm fairly certain you can still get a solid grade if you keep trying.
Old 10-22-2009 at 07:42 AM   #33
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Last year for chem, they had this thing where if you did better on the final than one of your midterms, they'll drop the lowest midterm mark and increase the weight of the final. So if they still do that, you still have time to bring your mark up.

Even if you did crappy on one midterm, you can still come out with a good mark if you do better on everything else.
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:55 PM   #34
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

Um well...
I don't find the workload here at uni to be an issue. I'll often find myself watching a movies because I dont really have "work" to do. Midterms suck hard because I freaked out on my physics midterm and it pretty much has bombed my mark. But really, if you look at all the percentages that give your total mark, there is a possibility for a decent mark. You just gotta stop freaking out (which I am still working on )
I think the areas that I'm struggling with - personally- is just adjusting overall to the new environment.
I still feel like an outsider. Even after all this time.
I don't feel like I have as many friends as everyone else, and I'll randomly have "Charlie Brown" days where I'll seriously wonder if I'll ever have a group of friends... kinda silly I know.
I'm finding it hard to work with people in a group - LOL WHO ISN'T THOUGH? group work can be ridiculously painful, especially in timed lab scenarios because people freak out or just aren't paying attention.
I dislike some of the people you can encounter in lectures... the arrogant ones, the ones that feel they "deserve" certain things... *sigh* again, a pain, but easily ignorable I guess.
One thing I just absolutely feel uncomfortable with though is all the faculty bias. I don't feel less smart than the Health Science kids and I don't feel smarter than the Humanities people. Hell, I wanted to be IN Humanities, so it's a bit offensive when I hear all the elitism going around. :/
Good thing is that I'm an optimist... So, I know that things will eventually get better... For everyone that's having a bit of a tough time (:
Old 10-22-2009 at 04:14 PM   #35
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulie View Post
One thing I just absolutely feel uncomfortable with though is all the faculty bias. I don't feel less smart than the Health Science kids and I don't feel smarter than the Humanities people. Hell, I wanted to be IN Humanities, so it's a bit offensive when I hear all the elitism going around. :/
This bugs me too... people tend to be ignorant of what life is like in other faculties. For one of my projects as an SRA member, I've been going to Faculty Society meetings for all the different faculties, and what has struck me the most is just how different they all are.

I recommend that everyone who can (I understand not all programs are as flexible as others) take electives in a variety of faculties... they will definitely round you out and give you a taste of what life is like for other students. Just because they don't have the same type of schedule that you do, doesn't mean they have it any better or worse than anyone else. Pretty much every program is a challenge.

xo.monica says thanks to Taunton for this post.

Deegs14, xo.monica like this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 08:12 PM   #36
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Last year for chem, they had this thing where if you did better on the final than one of your midterms, they'll drop the lowest midterm mark and increase the weight of the final. So if they still do that, you still have time to bring your mark up.

Even if you did crappy on one midterm, you can still come out with a good mark if you do better on everything else.
The profs removed this policy this year. So stupid.
Old 10-22-2009 at 09:41 PM   #37
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
i did absolutely horrible on my chem and bio midterm and im just wondering if its too late to boost my mark up to at least a 10 ?
Well the answer to your question all depends on your defintion of "horrible"...

But let me just tell you that you're not alone cuz I did horrible on the chem midterm as well... bio was OK.. not awesome, but ok.
Old 10-23-2009 at 07:57 AM   #38
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Indeed! I've got my Linguistics midterm tonight and then I'm done! (For a week or two, that is...)